Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Garda Pay

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

billie1b wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'big cheque'? Is it a one of payment per year or included in your weekly salary?

Every 4 weeks you get what is called the "big cheque", it's actually just an EFT to your bank account like a regular weekly salary, you don't actually get a physical cheque. Anyways this big cheque contains payment for all the Sat, Sun, Bank Holidays, Night Duty and Overtime that you've done over that 4 week period.

So just to clarify, over a 4 week period you get 3 flat payments, 1 for each week and on the 4th week you get a flat payment plus all the above mentioned extras.

Also as a side note, other allowances like uniform, boot and rent are paid weekly as part of your flat cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

van_beano wrote: »
    Every 4 weeks you get what is called the "big cheque", it's actually just an EFT to your bank account like a regular weekly salary, you don't actually get a physical cheque. Anyways this big cheque contains payment for all the Sat, Sun, Bank Holidays, Night Duty and Overtime that you've done over that 4 week period.

So just to clarify, over a 4 week period you get 3 flat payments, 1 for each week and on the 4th week you get a flat payment plus all the above mentioned extras.

Also as a side note, other allowances like uniform, boot and rent are paid weekly as part of your flat cheque.

Cool thanks for the explanation, sorry, im a bit of a noob when it comes to Garda pay

billie1b wrote: »
    Cool thanks for the explanation, sorry, im a bit of a noob when it comes to Garda pay

Don't worry, it's the one thing people become an expert on quite quickly in the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

It all depends on the amount of Sat, Sun, Bank Holidays, Overtime and Night Duty that you work so trying to figure out an exact amount without knowing those other variables first would be impossible. Since the rent allowance seems to be gone (minus 4k+) I am going to take a wild guess and say that, after training, a new recruit would be looking at between €28k and €33k a year net. That's including a typical yearly combined big cheque of 24 Sun, 36 Sat, about 840 hours night duty and 4 out of 9 Bank Holidays. I have nothing to back up those figures but I don't think I'd be too far off with them.
    When you say a new recruit is that on Atteststation?? 28k net seems a very high firgure if that is the case considering the starting salary is 23k gross. I know its only a guess on your part.

mickaleen wrote: »
    When you say a new recruit is that on Atteststation?? 28k net seems a very high firgure if that is the case considering the starting salary is 23k gross. I know its only a guess on your part.

Yeah, the salary you are on the minute you're Attested. The starting salary is what you would earn over the year if you had 52 flat cheques. In other words if you only worked Mon-Fri 9am-5pm for 52 weeks and didn't claim uniform and boot allowance then €23k gross is what you would get. It's all the other elements added in that bring your salary higher. Hence why the figures you only see on the salary scales are flat rate salaries, not including the allowances.

Yeah, the salary you are on the minute you're Attested. The starting salary is what you would earn over the year if you had 52 flat cheques. In other words if you only worked Mon-Fri 9am-5pm for 52 weeks and didn't claim uniform and boot allowance then €23k gross is what you would get. It's all the other elements added in that bring your salary higher. Hence why the figures you only see on the salary scales are flat rate salaries, not including the allowances.
    Yeah I understand that but 23,000 after tax would be about 19,760 so by your estimation we would be getting in and around 8k a year from allowances. That works out at roughly 683 quid a month, surely that figure is not right considering rent allowance is apparently gone? Don't get me wrong, I really do hope your estimation is indeed correct, I haven't a clue what the allowances are but I'd be really happy with that starting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I posted this back in March but some of the newer members on here may not have seen it. It's effectively 3 months pay With each month averaging out at €1,709. That by 12 gives €20,508.
    Bloodwing wrote: »
    I’ve tried to work out 3 rosters of pay based on the new recruits pay. Tax is based on a single person with no dependents. I didn’t include any extra tax credits and I didn’t include OT as this will vary greatly from person to person and week to week. The figures I came up with might give you an idea of what to expect but don’t take them as gospel, I could be way off. I did not include Medical Aid or GRA subs as that will be up to each individual.

Each roster contains 3 flat cheques and one “big” cheque.

ROST 1:

Flat Cheque:
    €371.77 x 3 = €1115.31

Big Cheque:
    • Boot + Uniform Allowance.
    • 16 Hrs Sunday
    • 107 Hrs Night Duty
    • 6 Hrs 6pm-8pm
    • 2 x Saturdays.
    €605.50

Total for the 4 weeks: €1720.81

ROST 2:

Flat Cheque:
    €371.77 x 3 = €1115.31

Big Cheque:
    • 16 Hrs Sunday
    • 78 Hrs Night Duty
    • 4 Hrs 6pm-8pm
    • 2 x Saturdays.
    €574.19

Total for the 4 weeks: €1689.50

ROST 3:

Flat Cheque:
    €371.77 x 3 = €1115.31

Big Cheque:
    • 24 Hrs Sunday
    • 58 Hrs Night Duty
    • 16 Hrs 6pm-8pm
    • 3 x Saturdays.
    €601.44

Total for the 4 weeks: €1716.75

Like I said don’t treat this as gospel and start banking on it. I don’t know how reliable the tax calculator I used is. I based it on Gross pay of €23,000 as I couldn’t remember the exact starting pay.
    If you want to work out your own situation based on your tax credits it’s easy enough to do. St. Raphaels have an app that shows you the roster and the GRA website will show you exactly how to calculate your allowances.

Thanks for that Bloodwing, Van Beano now I understand how you are coming up with your figures. Thank you both.

mickaleen wrote: »
    Yeah I understand that but 23,000 after tax would be about 19,760 so by your estimation we would be getting in and around 8k a year from allowances. That works out at roughly 683 quid a month, surely that figure is not right considering rent allowance is apparently gone? Don't get me wrong, I really do hope your estimation is indeed correct, I haven't a clue what the allowances are but I'd be really happy with that starting off.

As I said its a complete guess on my part, I have just done a quick tally in my head now about how the yearly "extra's" figures works out, I'm sure I've overtaxed these figures aswell with these guesstimates,
    - Sundays x 24 @ double pay - €2400 net
    - Saturdays x 36 standard roughly €5 net per day - €180 net
    - Bank Holidays x 4 (out of 9, it could be 5 or 6) double pay - €400 net
    - Night Duty x 840 hours @ roughly €5/hour- €2540 net
    I've not added any overtime.

Added to your €19,750 that'll make it in or around €25k net, maybe €26 if the proper tax rates applied. I was probably being optimistic with the €28k - €33k so :confused:

• Advertisement

As I said its a complete guess on my part, I have just done a quick tally in my head now about how the yearly "extra's" figures works out, I'm sure I've overtaxed these figures aswell with these guesstimates,
    - Sundays x 24 @ double pay - €2400 net
    - Saturdays x 36 standard roughly €5 net per day - €180 net
    - Bank Holidays x 4 (out of 9, it could be 5 or 6) double pay - €400 net
    - Night Duty x 840 hours @ roughly €5/hour- €2540 net
    I've not added any overtime.

Added to your €19,750 that'll make it in or around €25k net, maybe €26 if the proper tax rates applied. I was probably being optimistic with the €28k - €33k so :confused:
    Thanks. Hopefully the GRA will be able to come to some agreement aswell about the rent allowance but that might be a bridge too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Starting money for a dublin bus driver on a 4day week is 29500k per annum

Just for comparisons sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

i dno if this has been touched upon but what is the gardas stance on supplementary income, such as stock market gains importing stuff and selling them on ebay etc.
    <Snip>

Just serious questions please :)

-KERSPLAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

mrDerek wrote: »
    i dno if this has been touched upon but what is the gardas stance on supplementary income, such as stock market gains importing stuff and selling them on ebay etc.
    <Snip>

Just serious questions please :)

-KERSPLAT!

There's no issue with supplementary income as long as it doesn't come from a prohibited spare time activity (google it and you'll see the relevant legislation) and obviously once its declared. With the new European working time agreement you are also supposed to inform your superviser of any hours worked outside of Garda hours.

Advertisement