Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what sat nav????

Options
  • 17-02-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

i am going to california tomorrow. im getting a rental car for great value, but the sat nav is costing $15 a day which is a complete rip off!!

anyway what is the best route to go? i have a samsung s3 , on 3 network. could i use that...is there an app?? or will it end up costing me loads on data usage.

should i just buy a sat nav before i go over? would probably be cheaper than the 14 days i am being charged for by the rental company. what do i need to look out for if i get one

or what a about a cheap tablet option. i saw a taxi driver with sat nav on his tablet recently. looked the business

can anyone recommend anything to me? im in galway so my shopping options, off the top of my head, are currys, pc world and maplins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭XsApollo

If you buy a sat nav it will have to have American maps,Which I don't know if you can buy 1 here.
    What about buying 1 over there?
    They are probably cheap as chips over there and you could sell it when you come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

someone mentioned to me last night that i would probably have to upload US maps on to one if i got it over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can use your phone but you will have to turn off mobile data when you land. It gets really expensive really fast, I know..

I've used phone app Navfree in US before. It's not as good as google maps but for the price of free it's good.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en

Make sure to download all maps before you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

thats great folks. will look into all suggestions. may buy a sat nav yet, if i can get one at a right price....but free is always excellent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

XsApollo wrote: »
    If you buy a sat nav it will have to have American maps,Which I don't know if you can buy 1 here.
    What about buying 1 over there?
    They are probably cheap as chips over there and you could sell it when you come back.

not renting a car for a few days so gonna do this. its 40 quid extra for american maps, plus i think i may have to buy a memory card too

Advertisement