Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie Hour

Options
  • 17-02-2014 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

I don't usually drive through the city at night, but was on my way home from a hospital visit last night at about 11, and was fairly surprised by people on the streets of Cork.

3 times in the city center, when I was stopped at traffic lights, people tried to open my car door, I assume to get in!

Is this a thing now?

It was Washington street, grand parade and south mall. I had the car doors locked, but it freaked me out. Especially as I was taking off from the lights when the first one tried it, and I nearly ran over his leg with the back wheels.

It was drizzling, and taxies and coats (and any kind of leg covering for the girls) seemed to be in short supply. But still, I've two baby seats in the back of the car, and I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant. What the fook are people up to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Probably folks wobbling around half-cut after being out for the night, and concluding that you were a hackney. Don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I used to drive a corolla and a lot of people confused me with a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Does'nt sound nice..I hope you didn't get too much of a fright..

I have never had this happen driving through town, but then haven't gone in there in a long time. thought it was after getting too rough...

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

RAG week at UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

jimgoose wrote: »
    Probably folks wobbling around half-cut after being out for the night, and concluding that you were a hackney. Don't worry about it.

Half cut at 11pm? It wasn't exactly letting out time from nightclubs.

Yeah, I'll try not to worry about being carjacked by drunken louts. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

End of CIT R&G week and the start of UCC R&G week and mid term would be the most probable answer.

Although as mentioned above, if you're driving a Toyota Corolla/Avensis/Carina E it's easy to mix them up for taxis due to the blandness of the things.

Something like this happened to me and a friend back in 09' which I think was when the UCC one was officially cancelled after the death of a student in a freak accident.

We were doing work on a house in the evenings and would pass Bandon Road where they were ambushing taxis (opening the doors/boot and running off/all getting in and screaming).

A group tried it on us, but we were prepared for it, didn't hurt having a bag of tools with us either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Naw, don't have one of those cars... Don't know how it could be mistaken for a hackney to be honest.

Anyway. Looks like i wasn't the only person noticing it last night. Just drove through town again and there is a massive visible garda presence out and about. Not a spot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A few years ago in Kilrush three gentlemen from Limerick (and possibly elsewhere) tried this on me. Unfortunately, my car was not locked. They jumped into my car and requested a lift to the golf club (I kid you not). On hearing that that was not my intended direction, I was told that if I didn't turn right "things wouldn't work out well for me at all".
    I drove them to the golf club:o:( where they staggered from my car and I high tailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

still bad form not matter what it is rag week or not sounds like a bunch of muppets

Advertisement