Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband only.

Options
  • 17-02-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Looking to get rid of my landline as its seldom used,what is best place to get broadband only,or broadband with satilite tv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

UPC - uses cable for internet, also gives the best speeds.

Any DSL offering needs telephone landline for internet.

Mobile Internet - avoid, is slow and unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/

You can get it cheaper than that if you are a bill pay mobile customer with them,I have that package for €25 a month.You need to ask cs as it's not advertised and sign up to a minimum 18 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭lukaszd2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

That includes a rental cost for phone line which a lot of people don't use.

UPC is using Its UPC cable (not phone line) for phone calls.

And as can be seen there i think its best option when compare:
    Speed
    Monthly allowance
    Price

Its all about what you need, if you just go google once or twice a day then a cheap mobile broadband maybe is better as it will cost less. (for me to sloow)

• Advertisement

UPC is using Its UPC cable (not phone line) for phone calls.

What I mean is that Bonkers.ie doesn't allow you to price Broadband only (excluding a phone charge).

As mentioned above, you can get it as low as €25 pm with Vodafone. Their download is 70 MB, which is much faster than most people need, never mind UPC's 120 MB which even fewer will need. Vodafone's upload is faster if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Taking everything into account I'd stiil go with UPC for broadband.

They don't do broadband only any more - the phone is included. I know you don't want a phone but you don't have to use it. The basic Fibre Chat 50 is excellent value for 50Mb down 5Mb up unlimited for €37 per month. Freetime World included in price which covers offpeak calls plus 400 mins to international landlines. The new phone app allows you to use your phone allowance on your smartphone (4 devices using WiFi can use anywhere in the world which is handy if you have kids/family abroad even if it's just to call home number free).

If you're a new UPC customer you'd get that for €25 for first 6 months.

http://www.upc.ie/bundles/broadband-phone/

It's hard to beat UPC for broadband quality.

smcgiff
    If I remember good, adding the cheapest phone plan to the UPC will make monthly bill lower, as they have some charge if you wanna go just for the broadband.

Hire you can find some Vodafone broadband reviews:
    http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/vodafone/

smcgiff
    If I remember good, adding the cheapest phone plan to the UPC will make monthly bill lower, as they have some charge if you wanna go just for the broadband.

Hire you can find some Vodafone broadband reviews:
    http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/vodafone/

That's a gimic. The cost IS included, as they are charged by Eircom for the landline rental.

That's why Vodafone can charge as low as €25 pm where the landline rental is stripped out.

I have my UPC from about 10 month and dont know what line rental your talking about. All, my phone and Brodband is connected to the UPC box only, nothing here is involving phone line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

hi,signed up to e fibre last wk,e 40 a month,no phone,up to 50mb speed,18 month contract,i live in carrigaline,11 miles or so from cork city,if in cork speed way up

Advertisement