Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best/Worst Performance From A Player You Have Seen

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Ronaldo hat trick at Old Trafford in 2003.

Probably the best live performance ive seen.

Keano v Juve 1999 probably the best 'non live' performance. Ive never seen such determination or will to win

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Blatter wrote: »
    Arshavin v United in the 8-2 was one of the worst I've seen.

Which reminds me of Arshavin vs Liverpool (4-4) which was one of the best PL performances I've ever seen.

I remember genuinely thinking he would be a superstar in the league for the next 5 or 6 years, one of the top 5 or 6 players in the league. He was lethal that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

There are a couple of team performances that stand out. The 5-0 Clasico victory against Real Madrid was very special. I do think though that to beat Mourinho's dynamic, superstar-filled Real Madrid over both legs in the semi final in the manner in which they did was astounding. Then the performance in the final was a complete display. Superlatives are thrown around a lot but, for me, when you are talking about great teams and great players they should be measured by the very highest standard and the very highest standard was set by that incarnation of Barcelona in 2011 who scaled to unknown heights of football.

One of my all time favourite individual performances is Didier Drogba's in the 2008 semi final against Liverpool, Chelsea had been pushed back, few options except for Drogba who appeared to be occupying a back four on his own. A monster performance from the big Ivorian, with all of the Drogba trademarks.

Also, though it may not have been as technically brilliant as other games he's played, another one of my favourites is Didier Drogba vs Valencia in the final group stage game of the Champions League. In danger of being eliminated from the competition in Drogba's final season, the great man rallied the side before the game and his display was laced with power and emotion and he drove Chelsea past the group stage and to Champions League glory. It all started that night in Stamford Bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Morzadec wrote: »
    Which reminds me of Arshavin vs Liverpool (4-4) which was one of the best PL performances I've ever seen.

I remember genuinely thinking he would be a superstar in the league for the next 5 or 6 years, one of the top 5 or 6 players in the league. He was lethal that day.

I have to disagree with this. He touched the ball about 6 times in that game and managed to score 4 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Paully D wrote: »
    Jon Walters last year vs Chelsea would have to be up there too as one of the worst. Two own goals, a penalty miss!

And if I remember rightly he kicked the ball into his own face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

McGrath against Italy and Keano against Juve

worst , me a couple of weeks ago, retired , but came out of retirment last week and as good as new ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Superlatives are thrown around a lot

Yup. Mostly by you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Maradona vs Belguim in 86 will take some beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Best I have seen in the flesh, Ronaldo hattrick v United in the CL. Unbelievably good.

Worst I can remember is myself for one of the local teams when I was in my teens, extremely hungover, couldnt even start the game. Got brought on as a sub and had to come off again about 10 minutes later after falling over the ball, getting skinned and getting a severe stitch in the side and cramp in my calf :(

Last big session before a match!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Messi v United in the CL final at Wembley. He looked like hurting us whenever and wherever he got the ball that day. He had seasoned vets like Rio and Vidic fear stricken that evening. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

In terms of performances I've seen in the flesh, one particular game by Ken Oman of Shamrock Rovers last year stands out.

It was his first game back from an injury IIRC, but he looked like he'd been sewn into his gear, and proceeded to waddle aimlessly around the penalty area for 80 odd minutes. Only hard-working colleagues and toothless opposition (I think they may have been playing shels) saved him, but nothing could hide his distribution (read: punts to the opposition touchline).

To be fair, though, he varied it up. At one point, under no pressure at the edge of his box (Shels had retreated back up the pitch), he received the ball to his feet. For reasons best known to himself, he executed an extremely ropey Cryuff turn and belted the ball horizontally to the sideline. To this day, I have no idea what he was trying to accomplish.

In terms of best performances, a 7-1 demolition of Bray early that season was basically the Quigley and Killduff show. On the way home, we passed a father-and-son pair of Bray supporters, the young fellah literally bawling crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think if we had a poll here, McGrath v italy would win hands down. Probably mostly because it's Ireland and 99.9% of us would have watched the game live but even with that bias I think it would stand up as one of the best individual performances of all time. It was against one of the biggest teams in the world, against 2 of the best strikers playing in one of the strongest leagues, on the biggest stage in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I can only go on matches that I have seen in full, which discounts everything prior to 1996.

Best I have seen is Richard Dunne's tour de force against the Russians in 2011. Simply inspirational stuff from a player who rubbishes the notion that footballers are spoilt crybabies.

Also going to mention the Luis Suarez show against Norwich a few weeks ago, a virtuoso display that I was privileged enough to witness in person. Will never forget that night as long as I live!

The worst I can remember is Abdoulaye Meite for Bolton against Man Utd in 2007/08. He got brutally exposed and, rather than summoning the desire to try and set things right, he actually asked his manager to be substituted at half-time. Seriously? A Premier League footballer trying to quit a match? Couldn't respect him after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Stockdale, Fulhams goalie, in the 7-0 mauling they got by Hull. Terrible goalie. Terrible display. Would have been better off sticking a wheelie bin on the line.

Best would be McGrath Vs Italy, Rivaldo Vs Valencia, Ronaldo (Bra) Vs United, Dunne vs Russia,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ronaldo (Bra) Vs United

This was incredible. United fans were very humble in defeat as I recall which I admired, you just couldn't blame anybody for the loss, Ronaldo was just so good.

Beckham v Greece was also terrific. Real-life Roy of the Rovers stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Alessandro Del Piero at the Bernabeu, 2008.

Class personified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I remember the game that made me a Chelsea fan was Gianfranco Zola single-handedly beating Liverpool 4-2 (think he scored a hat-trick) in the FA Cup in 1997. He was just immense that day, everything went through him and he was unstoppable. It was incredible.

From other games I've seen, the Paul McGrath and Richard Dunne ones stand out in my memory. Zidane in 2006 or Ronaldo in 2002 were also hugely impressive. I doubt either of their teams could've achieved what they did without those two.

One of the best team performances I can remember was when Wanderers beat Pats 4-1 on the final day of the 2000-2001 season. Think we were losing 1-0 at half-time and just came out and destroyed them in the second half.

As for worst performances, I remember watching that game where Eboure got subbed off and booed by Arsenal fans. It was well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Zidane against Brazil for me.

That performance has stuck with me ever since and a week doesn't go buy I don't check out a highlight on youtube. The whole episode and backstory to it.

It was truly the last hurrah of a great, and was breath-taking watching him nearly single handily dominate a game, he was everywhere. Knowing it was his last World Cup, having already come out of retirement, it was all just obscene stuff.

I remember him then just having a few hand shakes and nods, before walking of the pitch nearly straight away, while the other players were going mental parading around and jumping on each other.

Was in my mid teens and had to turn to the old fella asking what that was all about. "He didn't come back to win a semi final, he came back to win a World Cup".

Was absolutely screaming for France in the final. Unreal stuff. Had a real influence on me and never had such an emotional connect to a tournament then cheering on Zidane in 06.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was in my mid teens and had to turn to the old fella asking what that was all about. "He didn't come back to win a semi final, he came back to win a World Cup".

It was a quarter final but yeah, great performance, it's hard to feel sorry for him for not taking the trophy though after his carry on in the final, I was really p*ssed off with him for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Keane Vs Juventus 1999 - Semi Final of Champions League. Incredible.

Keane Vs Holland - WC Qualifier when we won 1-0 in Landsdowne.

Pavel Nedved Vs Holland - Euro 2004, F**king immense in this game. Coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-2.

Fellaini Vs United - Goodison 2012 - The chap was all over us. Won the game for Everton almost on his own.

Beckham Vs Greece - WC Qualifier 2001. Worked his ass off to get England back into the game. Drew 2-2 after a Becks free kick to get England into the WC.

Richard Dunne Vs Russia Euro Qualifier- 0-0 in Moscow but Jesus he was unreal. Would have been hammered without him.

Fabio Cannavarro - WC 2006, extraordinary!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It was a quarter final but yeah, great performance, it's hard to feel sorry for him for not taking the trophy though after his carry on in the final, I was really p*ssed off with him for that!

Yeah sorry meant quarter.

In fairness it was silly what he did, outrageous outburst, but it instantly vilified Matarazzi for me, and I never chose to recognise him as more then the guy ruined the perfect story :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Possibly the memory has faded, but packie bonner against England in 1988 was some performance.

McGrath's performance was amazing v Italy ok, he even did it with Phil Babb beside him, a very poor footballer.

I also thought McGrath v England at wembley was a great performance, this time in midfield.
    What a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

In recent memory, Frank Lampard 2 - 1 Aston Villa last year. Vital 3 points to almost guarantee us Champions League football and break the club's goalscoring record at the same time. Absolute legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Paul McGrath against Italy
    Roy keane against Holland in Dublin
    Jan Molby in fa cup final- controlled the whole game and hardly moved more than 10 yards from center spot.
    Ian Rush against Everton when he scored 4.
    Zidan quite a few games likewise messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

8-10 wrote: »
    I think if we had a poll here, McGrath v italy would win hands down. Probably mostly because it's Ireland and 99.9% of us would have watched the game live but even with that bias I think it would stand up as one of the best individual performances of all time. It was against one of the biggest teams in the world, against 2 of the best strikers playing in one of the strongest leagues, on the biggest stage in football.

Just incase you(or anyone) is bored.
    Heres the full game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gtZnyCDljE

Joe Kinnear predicts 1-0 Ireland.

Advertisement