Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking Flights to America from the American Side?

Options
  • 17-02-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of booking flights to the states from the american side? I have an uncle in the states who booked flights for my other uncle and they were cheaper than what they would've cost from this side, the only thing is if i was too book flights on an american website would i incur any fees or whats the rules even??

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I've played around with this before and it can sometimes be cheaper to book from the American side (can be done from here using a VPN).

I think gizmodo.com did an article on it a few weeks back
    linky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Great idea, must look into it. Sometimes though depending on how close to when you want to fly it can be more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

I wonder what kinda credit card fees you'd get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

phishcakes wrote: »
    I wonder what kinda credit card fees you'd get charged.

If you can buy the tickets, they will be billed in USD in which case normal CC FX rates apply, typically 2 to 2.5% off interbank. It will be no different from buying goods from Amazon UK, there are no specific 'fees', they get you on the exchange rate.

However the airline may refuse the booking unless you're paying with a US credit card, that's how they stop people booking from other countries so they can confine certain fares to people from specific countries. They can tell your home country from the CC number because the first 6 digits identifies the bank which issued the card. I don't think a VPN will help you when booking direct with the airline, the CC number is all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

coylemj wrote: »
    If you can buy the tickets, they will be billed in USD in which case normal CC FX rates apply, typically 2 to 2.5% off interbank. It will be no different from buying goods from Amazon UK, there are no specific 'fees', they get you on the exchange rate.

However the airline may refuse the booking unless you're paying with a US credit card, that's how they stop people booking from other countries so they can confine certain fares to people from specific countries. They can tell your home country from the CC number because the first 6 digits identifies the bank which issued the card. I don't think a VPN will help you when booking direct with the airline, the CC number is all that matters.

Can you get around this by buying a US issued virtual Visa/Mastrcard?

• Advertisement
Advertisement