Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What will close Mania?

• 17-02-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭

Tough one this, last year it was always going to be The Rock v Cena, even if ye hated both dudes, you couldn't find a match or even the year before that was bigger.

This time however no Rock and Cena will probably be in a feud with Wyatt, which I don't think is a match big enough to close.

Alternatives?

Batista v Orton has been suggested will go down at Mania, but judging from the lukewarm reaction Dave got at the Rumble I could see this dying if it closed.

It doesn't help that Orton is booked like a dork at the moment or Batista is feuding with the heatless Del Rio.

I do think we will get Bryan v Trips, as I can't see any other match for Trips and Lesnar v Taker.

I'd prefer it to be Trips v Bryan as it least one of them is a full time wrestler and it would be a fantastic closing moment for a PPV for him to go over or more likely give Trips a much needed rub!

Anyways what will and should close Mania this year?

And no Del Rio v Kofi:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Bryan/Trips I bet. Bryan should close out the show and Hunter wouldn't pass up being the last match (again).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I can see Batista/Orton headlining the show as bad as it sounds. The Unified title needs to be in the Main Event at such an iconic WrestleMania.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

'Taker/Lesnar. It's the biggest match that could potentially be on the show and it'll likely be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Loughc wrote: »
    I can see Batista/Orton headlining the show as bad as it sounds. The Unified title needs to be in the Main Event at such an iconic WrestleMania.

I get that, but unless the booking is immense in the next month I just don't see this having the heat to close the show.I think Trips will agree but he may have a vested interest:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Naomi winning the Divas title after coming back from her eye injury! :P

Seriously always remember they ended a Mania with this so I expect the worst:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Bryan to win at EC, Batista to decimate Del Rio, And do other dastardly things in the following weeks, making him look even more beastlike and the two headlining mania. Probably not, though but its not a bad compromise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Loughc wrote: »

I agree, but can you imagine the crowd booing the finish to close out Mania ala the Rumble? WWE might just concede and put Bryan in this match then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

We won't know for sure til after the Elimination Chamber i'd say.

But it should be Taker's match. The crowd is always drained after it and every match after really suffers for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I agree, but can you imagine the crowd booing the finish to close out Mania ala the Rumble? WWE might just concede and put Bryan in this match then.

As much as I would love that to happen with the recent Kane interactions I can only see Bryan being screwed out of the title in the EC by Kane.

They have barely hyped Bryan being in the EC chamber match, the last few weeks have focused on his feud with Kane, which is pointing towards a HHH/Bryan match at WM.

Regardless of when the WWE title match places at WM I can see it getting boo'd out of the building if it's a Batista-Orton match up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Orton/Batista'd continue a trend of the lesser match headlining 'Mania, though there'd be hope that it wouldn't, considering the historical evidence that only Hunter's matches free from the logic of crowd-demand. Well, in fairness, only one of them was his fault; Orton/HHH was so handicapped by booking that they'd only themselves to blame.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Orton/Batista'd continue a trend of the lesser match headlining 'Mania, though there'd be hope that it wouldn't, considering the historical evidence that only Hunter's matches free from the logic of crowd-demand. Well, in fairness, only one of them was his fault; Orton/HHH was so handicapped by booking that they'd only themselves to blame.

Their was some dismal moments in that feud but it did seem over and they had some cracking ends to Raw with it.

I dunno I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but I didn't expect it to die such a death in front of the live crowd, did anyone?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

There are only two options unless Rock suddenly decides he wants to come back again.

Batista vs Orton, or Undertaker vs whoever.

Triple H vs Bryan wont be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

It SHOULD be Taker vs Cena but will probably be Batista/Orton..Wouldn't mind that as it'll be funny to see the crowd **** all over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

The WWE Championship match will close mania.

At this stage I can see WWE just caving in and adding Bryan to make it a triple threat with Orton and Batista. Give the (majority of) people what they want. Just something about the irk look on Stephanie and Hunter's faces every Monday night when they are trying to talk against a background noise of Daniel Bryan chants makes me think something is gonna have to give soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Undertaker panting like a smoker after a 100m sprint.

Charisteas wrote: »

At this stage I can see WWE just caving in and adding Bryan to make it a triple threat with Orton and Batista. Give the (majority of) people what they want. Just something about the irk look on Stephanie and Hunter's faces every Monday night when they are trying to talk against a background noise of Daniel Bryan chants makes me think something is gonna have to give soon.

Triple H squashing Bryan in 10 seconds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

HHH.jpg

Joking aside, IF Bryan/HHH does happen I do believe HHH will do the right thing and put Bryan over.

It would be utter madness to do otherwise and he knows it.

Right?? :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Joking aside, IF Bryan/HHH does happen I do believe HHH will do the right thing and put Bryan over.

It would be utter madness to do otherwise and he knows it.

Right?? :o

im 95% sure he would but then that 5% left over imagines him thinking to himself think of the heat if I went over Bryan at Mania. Then again for me that might actually help the match in the same way some people thought he could actually beat the streak cos he was the son in law though tbh I never expected that even near as much as in this situation.

What will close Mania XXX, well for the past few years I would have said Taker vs Cena, but they are putting the Wyatts in that spot so it wont be Cena this time one would think and although Brock vs Taker is imo the biggest marquee match they will put on I dont see it closing the show either and yet I'd say the same thing about HHH vs Bryan as the title isn't on the line and instead they will go with what they have already been promoting as the Main event i.e The Rumble winners match so Batista vs Orton should it be the way they go.

Perhaps though they could do it that if he beats HHH, Bryan can get into the main event as The Authorithy screwed him outta being in the Rumble and then via Kane getting in the main event by means of the Elimination chamber. thus have Orton vs Batista vs Bryan in the main event with Bryan closing the show as champ having bested HHH and both his buddies in one night YES! YES! YES!

Charisteas wrote: »

And where does that leave Trips?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rjd2 wrote: »
    And where does that leave Trips?:confused:
    Hopefully where he belongs, not in the ****ing ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

D Bryan winning the title or beating HHH should close WM this year with a huge yes chant :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    D Bryan winning the title or beating HHH should close WM this year with a huge yes chant :p

This feels like the Rumble all over again I can see lots of broken hearts come WM so haha :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

I'd love WWE to add a money in the bank match at Mania, have Bryan win it and cash in after the likely Orton - Batista match, (like he originally promised to with the world heavyweight title in 2012). Epic Yes chant as the show closes.

I'd love WWE to add a money in the bank match at Mania, have Bryan win it and cash in after the likely Orton - Batista match, (like he originally promised to with the world heavyweight title in 2012). Epic Yes chant as the show closes.

I agree with you.

Taking the MITB match off WM has really hurt the show.

The actual MITB PPV has always been a very solid event but it was something you always looked forward to and always got a great match at Wrestlemania.

Cant see that happening with how successful the MITB PPV has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Cant see that happening with how successful the MITB PPV has been.

But as there is only "one world title" now a MITB match at WM would be better

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    But as there is only "one world title" now a MITB match at WM would be better

Not in terms of buyrates. MITB wont add any buys to Wrestlemania but it will add a lot to a smaller PPV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mitb will not be at mania. the standalone ppv has proved to be hugely successful to such a point its now number 4 or 5 on the calendar. more people bought mitb last year than survivor series, despite the fact mitb was free in the uk/ireland and survivor series was on ppv here.

the last couple of mitb matches at mania were very unmemorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Something involving Bryan I hope. He deserves it.

More likely Orton vs. Batista after Orton over comes the odds at Elimination Chamber..

If we don't get something from EC or WWE Network launch RAW then WrestleMania XXX will be a let down and this is coming from someone with a WrestleMania package.

What in the world were they thinking when coming up with the matches...

It's the 30th Mania and they just couldn't cop what the fans wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Imagine how excited people would be if it was Punk vs. Bryan at WrestleMania XXX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

rossie1977 wrote: »
    mitb will not be at mania.

Sadly, I know. :( It's just fantasy booking on my behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Taker on his back
    Streak broken
    to ........................

Daniel Bryan.....

That'd push him to the moon and back

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Do buyrates matter anymore given the new network? Would it allow them to really play with the whole format and not worry about the financial side of a PPV as much?

brinty wrote: »
    Taker on his back
    Streak broken
    to ........................

Daniel Bryan.....

That'd push him to the moon and back

Or completely kill him. If anyone breaks the streak they will be public enemy number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Deadlie wrote: »
    Do buyrates matter anymore given the new network? Would it allow them to really play with the whole format and not worry about the financial side of a PPV as much?

I'd imagine the big push each month will be to use the ppv to convince people to sign up to the network. Most likely time of the year to get new signups is before WrestleMania so I can see even more focus each year on that PPV than on other ones. Once they get all those signups for 6 months, there is a concern the following few months would see a lot less effort put in on their part.

They do have to keep a reasonably consistent product to keep subscribers of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

A modernised version of this would be 1,000x better than Orton vs Batista

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Batista vs Lesnar. Bryan wins the title at Elimination Chamber to make us think he's main eventing Mania; then HHH gives Lesnar a title shot on Raw and he wins.

Not the closer, but is anyone nervous about the possibility of Daniel Bryan v Kane at Wrestlemania?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CSF wrote: »
    Not the closer, but is anyone nervous about the possibility of Daniel Bryan v Kane at Wrestlemania?

Not really. They basically have Bryan doing Punk's storyline now. Feuding with Kane before moving on to HHH.

• Advertisement

I'll be shocked if Kane vs Bryan isn't done on the Raw after Elimination Chamber or at the latest, the following week. Bryan gets Triple H unless something big changes.

I agree that that is the most likely scenario, but all of that is working under the assumption that HHH wrestles at Wrestlemania. There is an alternative viewpoint (not mine) that believes Bryan will be in the title match at Mania, either by winning Elimination Chamber or finding his way in to a triple threat. If that was to happen HHH wouldn't be wrestling.

Best case scenario is Bryan in a singles match for the title at Mania. Next to that is a title triple threat. After that you've got the pretty ****ty (but one that some people might accept) option of Bryan v HHH. But if Bryan isn't in the title match and HHH isn't wrestling, then I fear the possibility that Bryan has to face Kane.

It is an outside bet, but IMO there's a big enough chance of it happening to make me nervous

Advertisement