If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony 42W654A rebooting itself

Options
  • 17-02-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hello, my tv restarts itself randomly a few minutes after being switched on. It hadn't happened in about 2 months but just now it did it 3 mins. after I turned it on.
    I have seen this happen about 5 or 6 times since purchase in October 2013.
    Any ideas on the cause, have you heard of this before?

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

earlyapex wrote: »
    Hello, my tv restarts itself randomly a few minutes after being switched on. It hadn't happened in about 2 months but just now it did it 3 mins. after I turned it on.

Thanks.
    Hi Earlyapex.

Apologies you are having issues with your screen.

By restarting do you mean switches off and on again?

I have heard of this happening a few times on other screen throughout the years.

It could be the remote or it could be the actual button on the screen having issues.

A few things you could try is leave the remote in a different room to see if it happens or remove the batteries from the remote.

If the problem still happens with the remote out of action then we will look at getting an engineer to call with you. You can call our call center on 0044 333 900 0094 and they will book the screen in for you. Or if you wish we can book it in from this end.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

Thanks.
    Hi Earlyapex.

I have heard of this happening a few times on other screen throughout the years.

It could be the remote or it could be the actual button on the screen having issues.

A few things you could try is leave the remote in a different room to see if it happens or remove the batteries from the remote.

If the problem still happens with the remote out of action then we will look at getting an engineer to call with you. You can call our call center on 0044 333 900 0094 and they will book the screen in for you. Or if you wish we can book it in from this end.
    Thanks for your response.
    I contacted Sony direct about it too on their support forum.
    I got this response. Does it sound plausible? Should I risk bricking the tv with a firmware update that probably won't solve it?
    Thanks.

Hi there

I suggest that you update the firmware to the latest (you can use a USB drive instead of connecting it to the internet).  After that perform a factory reset of the TV, to clear out any "gremlins" as such. 

Sometimes a TV will "crash", just like a computer and reboot itself.  However, this should be few and far between, so if its happening often, it may indicate a problem.

Cheers

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks.
    Hi Earlyapex.

Thanks for your response.
    I contacted Sony direct about it too on their support forum.
    I got this response. Does it sound plausible? Should I risk bricking the tv with a firmware update that probably won't solve it?
    Thanks.

Hi there

I suggest that you update the firmware to the latest (you can use a USB drive instead of connecting it to the internet).  After that perform a factory reset of the TV, to clear out any "gremlins" as such. 

Sometimes a TV will "crash", just like a computer and reboot itself.  However, this should be few and far between, so if its happening often, it may indicate a problem.

Cheers
    Hi Earlyapex.

There would be no harm in trying the firmware update to see if it corrects the problem.
    If this is what Sony are saying I would give it a blast.

Once you get it completed let me know if there is any change and if not we can look at getting an engineer out to you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.