Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hicks of Dún Laoghaire Closed ?

Options
  • 17-02-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I read on Facebook that Hicks of Dún Laoghaire has Closed? I couldn't find anything online about it except an article on the RTE website about one of the directors claimed employment unlawfully terminated.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0523/452195-hick-sausages/

Anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The only thing you can quote is a 9 month old report of a family dispute yet you recklessly ask a question about the business having closed with no new information other than a vague reference to a post on Facebook which you can't provide a link to!

Their products were occupying the usual space on the shelves in Dunnes Cornelscourt today so I can assure you they are very much still in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

coylemj wrote: »
    The only thing you can quote is a 9 month old report of a family dispute yet you recklessly ask a question about the business having closed with no new information other than a vague reference to a post on Facebook which you can't provide a link to!

Their products were occupying the usual space on the shelves in Dunnes Cornelscourt today so I can assure you they are very much still in business.

Well shutters down and lights off all day today might slightly strengthen the rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thedevils

I have been speaking to the local butcher shops Dún Laoghaire apparently they have outsourced the making of their products which would explain why they are still on the shelves of Dunnes stores cornelscourt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They remain closed today with absolutely no sign of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sirspamalot

I was in Cornelscourt in January, the name on the sausage label was "Mrs Hick."
    Tonight I saw the sausages labelled as "Hicks of Dun Laoghaire. "
    The ingredients appear to have changed and there is no production/Plant No. information shown

Someone who used to work there told me that there will be a creditors meeting called for both companies

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just to make things awkward there is another Hicks Butchers in DL, but this is a completely separate entity AFAIK.

http://www.hicks.ie/

AFAIK, Ed Hick, of J Hick & Sons is related to the family that closed their shop in Georges Street, DL
    but Hick.ie have a shop in Dalkey

The creditors meeting for "Hicks of Dun Laoghaire" is at 9am, Mon 3rd March at the Harcourt Hotel (Dublin 2)
    They wish to appoint Aidan Garcia of Collins Garcia Corporate Recovery (Dublin 2) as liquidators

I wish them the best of luck .

Sounds to me like someone is trying to "change the name and do the same"

Has anyone tried the new Hicks sausages? I used to like the ones made in Dun Laoghaire

I believe that the ones on sale in the supermarket are now being made by P&A Quinn in Dundalk

Thanks,

S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

sirspamalot - do you have any interest to declare in the Hicks story by any chance?

I like Hicks stuff in general, but I tend not to pay undue attention to the details of the packaging. Maybe other people do but I have a hunch they don't. For example, I wouldn't be accepting or rejecting my Superquinn Supervalu sausages based on whether they were comprised of Galway pork vs Meath pork for example.

z

• Advertisement

zagmund wrote: »
    sirspamalot - do you have any interest to declare in the Hicks story by any chance?

I like Hicks stuff in general, but I tend not to pay undue attention to the details of the packaging. Maybe other people do but I have a hunch they don't. For example, I wouldn't be accepting or rejecting my Superquinn Supervalu sausages based on whether they were comprised of Galway pork vs Meath pork for example.

z
    Hello zagmund

As I mentioned earlier, I know some of the people who used to work for Hicks of Dun Laoghaire. Apart from that, No, I have no interest in the story. It's a shame they closed down

I pay attention to whether or not a product is made locally and also what its ingredients are but I do take your point...I will try the new Superquinn/Supervalu sausages.

Thanks,

S

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thedevils

I am more concerned about the white block pudding.

Was in Dunnes Cornelscourt today, all Hicks' Sausages gone bar a few gluten-free packs so clearly the brand is finished. This has to be the most monumental cockup of recent times - Hicks' sausages alone had about 5 metres (one metre wide, 5 vertical shelves) of shelf space in the biggest supermarket in the country and now they're gone. They were obviously the best selling brand by a mile in this part of town so you have to wonder how they managed to blow it.

Someone may try to resurrect the brand but the sausages shelf space is already stocked with Haffners, Granby, Oldhausen etc. and once people try other brands and realise that any new incarnation of Hicks is probably a case of someone simply buying the brand name (a la Russell Hobbs, Bush, Morphy Richards etc. in consumer appliances), they probably won't go back. I won't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's been some management issues recently which I'm guessing led to them closing

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0523/452195-hick-sausages/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is there an echo in here? See post 1!

Has anyone seen the sign in the shop window in 60 Lower Georges Street?

One of the ex-staff members from Hick's of Dun Laoghaire may be about to be re-hired but I have no idea what company will trade there or what produce they will sell.

The plot thickens

S

They tweeted this on April 26th....

Hicks are delighted to announce that the door will be back open on the 15th May at 9am .. Sausages and pudding..... https://www.facebook.com/HicksButchers/posts/650304371671259

I tweeted a question in response asking them if they would be back on the shelves in Dunnes Cornelscourt but got no reply. A few days later a user on Facebook asked this question...

will you have stock going to the likes of Dunnes again ?

And got this response..

Sorry Joe we will only have stock in our shop!!! Main street Dun Laoghaire...

According to the courts, Mrs Hick Ltd and Hicks of Dun Laoghaire are both being wound up.

How can a new company use the same plant and machinery, the same suppliers and the same recipe to produce to the same product ?

S.

According to the courts, Mrs Hick Ltd and Hicks of Dun Laoghaire are both being wound up.

How can a new company use the same plant and machinery, the same suppliers and the same recipe to produce to the same product ?

Why not?

In fact they they only need to buy the rights to the name at which stage they can manufacture the products somewhere else, same as happened Johnson, Mooney and O'Brien. The receiver/liquidator can sell the brand names as company assets.

Olhausen, Kearns and Haffners sausages are now all manufactured by Mallon Foods in a place called Hilden in Co. Monaghan.... http://mallonfoods.com/brands/ All of those brands appeared on the shelves in Cornelscourt to fill the considerable amount of shelf space formerly occupied by Hicks sausages, I noticed that they all had 'Hilden, Monaghan' on the labels.

Though not as a result of a corporate meltdown, Superquinn sausages are now manufactured by Larry Goodman for Musgraves.

Why not?

Though not as a result of a corporate meltdown, Superquinn sausages are now manufactured by Larry Goodman for Musgraves.

I have tried the new SuperValu/SuperQuinn sausages.

Not bad. Not bad at all, I was expecting a noticeable drop in quality/flavour but was pleasantly surprised

S

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I have tried the new SuperValu/SuperQuinn sausages.

Not bad. Not bad at all, I was expecting a noticeable drop in quality/flavour but was pleasantly surprised

S

Is Larry Goodman still supplying them? Superquinn sausages were always made by Larry

Is the Hicks shop closed again? I drove past it this morning and saw the shutters down

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Nope. Happened to pass by yesterday and took the opportunity to drop in and get some sausages and block pudding. Sunday brunch was yummy!

xper wrote: »
    Nope. Happened to pass by yesterday and took the opportunity to drop in and get some sausages and block pudding. Sunday brunch was yummy!

They are closed again today, Mon 16th June.

As I recall, they used to do a great Bloomsday breakfast pack, and yes, the block white pudding was yummy scrummy

S.

Closed every Monday, sign says on the window ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Closed every Monday, sign says on the window ;)

And they're wondering why the business is struggling?

And they're wondering why the business is struggling?

the Hick family are back in the High Court on Monday 23rd June. Looks like their troubles are far from over. What on earth has happened to that family?

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

All this messing over a little butcher shop that sells a few sausages in local supermarkets (or did)??

All this messing over a little butcher shop that sells a few sausages in local supermarkets (or did)??

A lot more than 'a few' based on the shelf space their sausages had in Cornelscourt. Pretty much the same shelf space as all other brands combined which suggested massive customer loyalty.

• Advertisement

They were a successful business for more than 80 years. In the last 10 years or so, they went from a local retail unit to a major supplier for SuperValu, Dunnes, Eurospar etc . They were making money in a time of major recession and now it looks like the only people doing well out of this are the lawyers.

Shame

S.

Advertisement