Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB Build n Borrow load of C**P

Options
  • 17-02-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

So a last year I tried for a loan but my credit rating was shot. A few weeks later PTSB brought out Build n Borrow designed for people with poor or no credit ratings where you save and the loan is supposedly approved on your ability to repay. So I ve saved every week since then and went in other day to apply for the loan to be told today "sorry you didnt get it because you still have a poor credit rating".

I questioned this as my understanding was this was not a factor to be told yes it is.
    Yes I got into debt in 2007 when i lost my job and was out of work for nearly 2 years, then was working in a job that barely paid the bills. Two years ago I started a new job and have been making payments on all my debts ever since. But I still have to wait for about 3 years now for my credit rating to improve

So there whole selling point on this loan is a lie.

Link shows summary of this loan
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/permanent-tsb-offers-loans-for-savers-with-poor-credit-ratings-29384947.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

shivkk06 wrote: »
    So a last year I tried for a loan but my credit rating was shot. A few weeks later PTSB brought out Build n Borrow designed for people with poor or no credit ratings where you save and the loan is supposedly approved on your ability to repay. So I ve saved every week since then and went in other day to apply for the loan to be told today "sorry you didnt get it because you still have a poor credit rating".

I questioned this as my understanding was this was not a factor to be told yes it is.
    Yes I got into debt in 2007 when i lost my job and was out of work for nearly 2 years, then was working in a job that barely paid the bills. Two years ago I started a new job and have been making payments on all my debts ever since. But I still have to wait for about 3 years now for my credit rating to improve

So there whole selling point on this loan is a lie.

Link shows summary of this loan
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/permanent-tsb-offers-loans-for-savers-with-poor-credit-ratings-29384947.html

Just because this product is aimed at people in your situation doesn't mean you have an entitlement to get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

I never said I had my point is they are using the selling point that your credit rating is not a factor when it actually is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

ARREARS

But the bank denied it was a credit-repair scheme and said the new loans would not be open to those who are in arrears on a mortgage.

Looks like no one knows what type of product it is, looks more like a product for people with no credit history than a blemished one.

OP get your icb report and count 6 years from the last 'x' or write off and that's when you will have a clean slate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

I never said I had my point is they are using the selling point that your credit rating is not a factor when it actually is

I haven't seen the product adverts but, regardless of what type of marketing a bank is doing, how could anyone believe that the bank aren't going to assess a persons credit history when applying for a loan - especially after the trouble they got themselves into over the past decade....

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Looks like no one knows what type of product it is, looks more like a product for people with no credit history than a blemished one.

OP get your icb report and count 6 years from the last 'x' or write off and that's when you will have a clean slate.

thanks i must do that think i still have about 3 years left unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

To set this up I had to go into bank fill out forms etc....at which point I asked would my credit rating would effect as obviously I knew I had got into debt I was told no its based on your ability to make repayments which is why u have to save consistently for at least 6 months

It may be based on your ability to repay but lending criteria will apply, such as a credit check. From reading on the PTSB site, rather than a news article about it, this seems more suitable to people with no credit history rather than a bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Two years ago I started a new job and have been making payments on all my debts ever since.

So you still have existing debts?

Advertisement