Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lone parent in first 2 years?

• 17-02-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there

Wondering if any of you can provide some advice? I am a lone parent (mother) I need to find out more information on the typical shift patterns and length of shifts I can expect in the first 2 years. Also the likelihood of rest days being cancelled/ excessive overtime etc. Anyone able to assist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rizzley

ladygaga14 wrote: »
    Hi there

Wondering if any of you can provide some advice? I am a lone parent (mother) I need to find out more information on the typical shift patterns and length of shifts I can expect in the first 2 years. Also the likelihood of rest days being cancelled/ excessive overtime etc. Anyone able to assist?

I chatted to a serving officer and was told that when it comes to overtime there are always people without family commitments etc that really want it. So that takes the pressure of people that don't want as much due to family etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TDA2

I believe you can register for non overtime. Only problem is at end of shift there is no guarantee of quitting ontime. You will need a supportive network and I admire you for going for it. The other thing is you could be exempt from the residential at GV by pleading exceptional circumstances, but I would suggest staying a few nights or going home for a while and sleeping in. What age is the child/children?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ladygaga14

Ah that would be ideal. I have a 5 year old and have a great support network but don't want to end up never seeing him! Thanks very much for the replies, better news than I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

ladygaga14 wrote: »
    Hi there

I have several friends who are in and to be honest unless you opt out of overtime entirely, if you are in a busy station (which is where I would expect all of the new recruits to be posted) it will be very busy. It seems that you won't get home on time and you are automatically detailed for overtime, rest days cancelled regularly at short notice etc.

It would be better to get info from some of the guys who post from time to time who are currently serving, but the above is what I have been told by my friends who are in.

wanadrum wrote: »
    I have several friends who are in and to be honest unless you opt out of overtime entirely, if you are in a busy station (which is where I would expect all of the new recruits to be posted) it will be very busy. It seems that you won't get home on time and you are automatically detailed for overtime, rest days cancelled regularly at short notice etc.

It would be better to get info from some of the guys who post from time to time who are currently serving, but the above is what I have been told by my friends who are in.

Opting out is an option, but if you're on probation is it the best? You can make yourself busy on rest days as well. Also I believe riots are optional - don't know if that's from day 1 though. Late shifts would be worst for you as the kid will be at school during day. Shifts vary depending on your command/district

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ClareRose47

Hi, I'm in the same boat as yourself also..have a 3 year old who isn't even at nursery yet. I know a couple who both work in the job with a young child and they seem to manage and do overtime now and again too. Hopefully with a good support network around you, you will manage. I know my mum would just be delighted for me to get the job and wouldn't mind babysitting so hopefully your friends and family will be the same!

Hi there,
    Good to know I'm not alone. I have been told there are plenty of people who it. I can even see the benefit to working nights as I could sleep when he is at school etc. but early starts before seven am would be the difficulty for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

I've heard about this "zero rated" business for overtime but when I asked serving friend they had never heard of it! I would also imagine if it does exist that it may not be possible during your probation? I'd be interested to know more about it, and whether it can be changed at a later stage (is when your kids are older)

I read on one of the freedom of information letters about the 'zero rating' and that total number of psni officers registered is 0! Don't know if they just register as unavailable. I did speak to an officer a month or so ago and he opted out of riots... Or whatever the politically correct term is? Crowd control? He said it was a bit less of an overtime requirement but you would have to pick up the slack on the beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I can't really add much more to what's been said but mucho respecto for getting out there.
    Ultimately I imagine it would be beneficial in the long term but painful at the start. I'm thinking my circumstances could be similar.

I do know they have such things as 'protected rest days'. In other words if you really need that day off for sports day, etc. then you'll get it.

Never finishing on time would be a killer though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Ransha

Just thought I would add to this as a serving officer AND lone parent to a 3 year old. I can't speak for the first two years as I wasn't in that position then.

In terms of the shifts being unsuitable there is an application you can make to have your shifts adjusted. Its done under the carers legislation that came in a few years ago so if you check that out you an find if it applies for you. In terms of children it applies until they are 6 years old. I made my application 2.5 years ago when my wee one was just turned 1 and had it granted. At that time I couldn't get night care covered. I did have to move station to one that could accommodate it but until she started nursery I did no nightshifts at all and since starting nursery I do the 3 weekend ones (Fri, Sat and Sun). I'm hoping when primary school starts in September to go back to regular working but I have to say I have felt under no pressure to do so.

Overtime is expected but if you can't do it there is usually someone who will bite your hand off for it especially now as it has been cut drastically!! You will also get to know your planner who you can let know that you do not want a lot off overtime and usually they'll do there best not to put it on. Off course for big events everyone will be in. Things like court you'll usually know about in advance although occasionally you will get the odd last minute one or a PM to attend the following day.

Being held on at the end of a shift is unavoidable and where good childcare comes in. There will be just times you can't get away so its important you can have someone your child can stay with for as long as necessary sometimes even overnight and do the school run the next morning.

You can protect rest days and bank holidays so if you have something to attend you know about in advance you can make sure no overtime is put on.

I think that touches on most things. Basically it is possible to do the job as a lone parent and it will afford you a good quality of life but you will have to sacrifice a lot of time with your child sometimes not seeing them for more than hour or two a day. That's the hardest things. It does get to feel as though the grandparents are raising her sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rizzley

Ransha wrote: »
    Just thought I would add to this as a serving officer AND lone parent to a 3 year old. I can't speak for the first two years as I wasn't in that position then.

In terms of the shifts being unsuitable there is an application you can make to have your shifts adjusted. Its done under the carers legislation that came in a few years ago so if you check that out you an find if it applies for you. In terms of children it applies until they are 6 years old. I made my application 2.5 years ago when my wee one was just turned 1 and had it granted. At that time I couldn't get night care covered. I did have to move station to one that could accommodate it but until she started nursery I did no nightshifts at all and since starting nursery I do the 3 weekend ones (Fri, Sat and Sun). I'm hoping when primary school starts in September to go back to regular working but I have to say I have felt under no pressure to do so.

Overtime is expected but if you can't do it there is usually someone who will bite your hand off for it especially now as it has been cut drastically!! You will also get to know your planner who you can let know that you do not want a lot off overtime and usually they'll do there best not to put it on. Off course for big events everyone will be in. Things like court you'll usually know about in advance although occasionally you will get the odd last minute one or a PM to attend the following day.

Being held on at the end of a **** is unavoidable and where good childcare comes in. There will be just times you can't get away so its important you can have someone your child can stay with for as long as necessary sometimes even overnight and do the school run the next morning.

You can protect rest days and bank holidays so if you have something to attend you know about in advance you can make sure no overtime is put on.

I think that touches on most things. Basically it is possible to do the job as a lone parent and it will afford you a good quality of life but you will have to sacrifice a lot of time with your child sometimes not seeing them for more than hour or two a day. That's the hardest things. It does get to feel as though the grandparents are raising her sometimes.

That's a great insight thanks!

Yes thanks Ransha. Exactly the info I was after. Much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Helped me out a massive amount too. Does the age of the qualifying child change if they have a disability. It did in my last job and I'm just curious. Don't think I'll be changing shifts as I'm switching roles with the ex lol

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Graciehart

This thread is really helpful. Thanks to the poster who gave most insight as i have just applied and a single mother too

Advertisement