Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 month old still falls over while in a seated position

Options
  • 17-02-2014 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

My daughter is 11 months old. She was 2 weeks premature. She still falls over while in a seated position. She rolls both ways but that is really the extent of her movements unaided.

She flys about in her walker, however she does not crawl, cannot get into a sitting position from lying flat, cannot pull herself up and cannot stand unaided.

I've said this to my Dr. And he recommends sending her for neurological tests. It frightens the hell out of me to think there could be anything wrong with her.

I would really love to know if anyone else has ever been in this position, and if so how did things pan out for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My 18 month old never crawled, bum shuffled, and she has just in the last month been able to pull herself into a standing position and sit up from lying flat. As she never crawled she had no core muscles so it took longer but no doctor i ever mentioned it to was concerned, they all do it in their own time.

If the doctor.wants to refer for tests it could be for peace of mind so don't assume the worst just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Thanks rentdayblues that does put my mind at ease.. Were you concerned at any stage about your little ones development? Did ur little one reach their milestones in other areas ok?

I have an older child and I think it human nature to compare, but I do feel that she is way behind. Everyone just keep saying she's developing at her own pace....I think I'll let her be for another month or so and then see...hopefully she'll start showing some signs of taking the next step.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would take the walker away but I would not use one in the 1st place:)
    My 1st was well able to talk before she walked at 15 months,she never crawled but from about 12/13 months she ran around pushing her fisher price 1st price buggy.
    My 2nd who is a lot smaller then the other 2 was 10 months and walking along the furniture and about 12 when she could walk herself,my 3rd is quite heavy and he has been crawling since he was about 10 months and pulling himself up since he was 11/12 months but no sign of him walking or standing all by himself at all.
    They all do stuff in their own time,I would accept the tests and go for them either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Calmsurrender

My youngest didn't pull up or stand unaided until the week before their first birthday. Didn't have any teeth either!!
    I can't remember when they sat up but they could sit alright.
    Didn't crawl , I found out later this was because of the floor, once I put them on a carpeted surface they crawled but then bum shuffled instead. Up until then they rolled everywhere.
    I can't remember when that started but I think it was between 10 months and a year as well.
    Walked at 15 months.
    I did feel a bit worried at times but we were never seen by a doctor or had any checkup where it was questioned.
    I'd take the tests if offered though, at least then you can rule stuff out and put it out of your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

weetiepie wrote: »
    Thanks rentdayblues that does put my mind at ease.. Were you concerned at any stage about your little ones development? Did ur little one reach their milestones in other areas ok?

I have an older child and I think it human nature to compare, but I do feel that she is way behind. Everyone just keep saying she's developing at her own pace....I think I'll let her be for another month or so and then see...hopefully she'll start showing some signs of taking the next step.

She more than exceeded all her other developmental points; in fact I'm still thinking she's far too clever for our good!

I was definitely concerned but realised that she could get around incredibly well on her bum, she didn't need to walk and never pushed herself. Others were concerned (family) and lots of recommendations to use a walker but I knew she'd do it when she had to or wanted to, which she is starting to do now. She's stubborn and the more we tried to help her stand/walk the more she resisted. We turned it into a game and within a week so went from never putting weight on her legs to standing; definitely stubborn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My fella (2 years soon) didn't sit unaided for ages. He was well over a year before he crawled (not a proper crawl either, military crawl). Didn't walk til he was 20 months old. I think with him it was a mix of two things, he has a massive head which was making balance difficult, and his personality, where he doesn't do things til he's actually well able to (eg the same with feeding himself/holding his bottle). He's well ahead with fine motor skills and with talking etc so we weren't worried about that. Children do things in their own time. Get the tests done to put your mind at ease but don't worry about it.

Advertisement