Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate Freeagent

Options
  • 17-02-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi, I've got a Seagate Freeagent external hard drive 500gb, it's about 6 years old. Recently I noticed it was making a lot of running noises and delays in writing file to storage.

Since then it now fails to power up (seperate 12v psu) the light does not come on and PC does not locate it, basically dead as a dodo. It has all my family photos and home movies on it. I have no other backup as this was my storage solution.

I've contacted a data recovery company and their fee is €45 review and a list of what can be restored. Then another recovery fee associated with that data. There's about 3 thousand photos and 50 movies some personal docs etc €€?

Just wondering would I have to go down this road or is there simpler / less expensive options. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

No harm in trying the same thing yourself.

Firstly the noises you hear are a clue.
    Can you hear the drive spin up? is it smooth and quick / slow / noisy.
    is there a repetitive clicking sound, a few seconds after power up?

get another external hard drive, dismantle them, and swap the hard drives, just to rule out the usb adapter part.

there's lots of wacky ideas on how to kick them back to life, things like freezing, shaking etc.

Advertisement