Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing files from (dropped) laptop hard drive

Options
  • 17-02-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I have a 1TB Samsung laptop with two 500GB hard drives.

I dropped the laptop today and Windows would not boot, and neither would the repair setup work, telling me there was likelihood of a damaged hard drive.

The D drive, containing lots of photos, audio files, music etc, is unscathed and works perfectly when placed in a hard drive caddy.

The C drive is reading from the caddy when I attach it to another laptop, I can go into various directories like Windows and Program Files and see what files are there and copy them if necessary.

A scan has been able to read how many files are there, and how much space is taken up.

I am trying to get into My Documents via Users - it won't open and won't copy.

Is this an administration issue or is it down to damage? Is there a safety "moat" that surrounds documents in Users when trauma is detected?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If the other laptop is booting Windows then try booting from a bootable usb stick with a lightweight linux distro on it. You should then be able to see all the files.

Advertisement