Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White sauce

Options
  • 17-02-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Inspired by Donal Skehan's white sauce, the next time I make lasagne I would like to make my own sauces. USually I buy the Dolmio lasagne kit but are these really unhealthy? Strike that, making my own would probably automatically be healthier but what quantities butter/flour/milk do I need for a white sauce for about 1lb of mince?

Also, I assume a red sauce is even easier - has anyone some nice tasty recommendations for both a red and white sauce?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Hi,
    Here is Delia Smiths recipe and step-by-step instructions for making white sauce. If you don't have mace/bay leaves etc, don't worry about it, especially the first time, just concentrate on the technique. They do add more flavour, so they are worth getting for the next time.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/savoury/classic-white-bechamel-sauce.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I have never used bay leaves but Ive seen them feature in a lot of recipes so may be something I should invest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Jamie Oliver and Nigel Slater have recipes that don't bother with the traditional white sauce.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/simple-baked-lasagne

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lasagne_95631

Have used the Jamie one, minus the anchovies, with decent results.

Thanks for those, worth a look. I know lasagne can be so unhealthy with the sauces but it is so damn tasty (especially the next day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Thanks for those, worth a look. I know lasagne can be so unhealthy with the sauces but it is so damn tasty (especially the next day!)

Lasagne is NOTHING without white sauce, I homemake my white sauce, layer on the bottom of lasagne dish, layer of mince, white sauce on that, pasta layer, white sauce, mince layer, white sauce, pasta layer, white sauce, mince layer, white sauce, pasta layer, white sauce and cheese to top. Mmmm nom nom nom

• Advertisement

That is a LOT of layers!!!!!! :D:D I usually do mince-lasange sheets - white sauce - mince - lasagne sheets - white sauce - cheese!

You really like your white sauce then? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

That is a LOT of layers!!!!!! :D:D I usually do mince-lasange sheets - white sauce - mince - lasagne sheets - white sauce - cheese!

You really like your white sauce then? :p

Oh yeah, the white sauce really makes it to be honest, a proper lasagne is creamy, not dry like you get in most restaurants. I make a big lasagne, we ourselves have some and usually freeze a couple of pieces for my dad as my mam doesn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

If you look at the ingredient list of a homemade lasagne, there is nothing particularly unhealthy about it.

However, its it fairly heavy, so the simple answer is to eat small portions and add a salad.

Try making the white sauce, it is lovely, its a great cooking skill to have and will open you up to loads of other recipes.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

If you check out the cooking club's classic lasagna from last year, its white sauce is pretty fool proof as it cooks the butter flour and milk combo until the raw flour taste is gone. The recipe calls for over 2 lbs of mince, so if you just halve the white sauce ingredients I'd say you're on the roll. I've tried it out and I can confidently vouch for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Can I just add that Nutmeg added to the sauce is awesome!

• Advertisement
Advertisement