Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyer Beware - Level Pay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

NickD wrote: »
    I am having a nightmare with Bord Gais, I was paying 161 per month level pay, I thought it was pretty high, it went up from 124 per month but with 3 kids I figured we were using a lot and it suited me to pay it monthly. I moved house two months ago and they took another month after we cancelled our account. Then they issued the final bill for 411 euro. There is no way we used this emount of electricity as we were living in a three bedroom bungalow.

Have complained repeatedly and been told that I have to pay it, end of story. I really can't afford it, and besides that I fail to see how we could possibly run up such a bill

So are you saying that they are lying or that the meter is lying. Did you take an initial reading yourself when you moved in. Did you take one when you moved out, have you taken any yourself during your tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

So are you saying that they are lying or that the meter is lying. Did you take an initial reading yourself when you moved in. Did you take one when you moved out, have you taken any yourself during your tenancy.

I'm not saying that anyone is lying, I am only saying that I paid a small fortune monthly to avoid massive bills and then was hit by a huge bill anyway. I was in the same house for 12 years, we were with bord gais for 18 months out of that time, we regularly took meter readings and took one on our final day.

I don't know where it came from, and to be honest I am still in shock over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It kinda defeats the whole purpose alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I'm not saying that anyone is lying, I am only saying that I paid a small fortune monthly to avoid massive bills and then was hit by a huge bill anyway. I was in the same house for 12 years, we were with bord gais for 18 months out of that time, we regularly took meter readings and took one on our final day.

If you had been checking your meter regularly you would have been in a position to tell your provider, that you were running a deficit, and would like to make an adjustment to their calculation of your average monthly usage. You wouldn't drive a car until it ran out of petrol and then complain to the seller. The fact that the bill intends to average your usage across the year does not guarantee it will be accurate. If you are running a big deficit, or running up a huge amount of credit you owe it to yourself to correct the inaccuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you had been checking your meter regularly you would have been in a position to tell your provider, that you were running a deficit, and would like to make an adjustment to their calculation of your average monthly usage. You wouldn't drive a car until it ran out of petrol and then complain to the seller. The fact that the bill intends to average your usage across the year does not guarantee it will be accurate. If you are running a big deficit, or running up a huge amount of credit you owe it to yourself to correct the inaccuracy.
    In fairness now, she is with BG 18 months and they are supposed to adjust the level pay amount in line with usage. They had ample time to get the spread right, so the balance seems a bit suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Is it possible that they are charging you for the usage after you vacated the property? To me it sounds like they didn't cancel your account after you moved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

You can't chage provider and still get charged for usage by your previous provider.
    I am only saying that I paid a small fortune monthly to avoid massive bills and then was hit by a huge bill anyway. I was in the same house for 12 years, we were with bord gais for 18 months out of that time, we regularly took meter readings and took one on our final day.

The meter says what the meter says. It's usage. Have a think through what could have used that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Check your previous bills and see if you had a shortfall each month that built up over time, and check to see how much (if any) were estimated as opposed to actual.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Magaggie wrote: »
    You can't chage provider and still get charged for usage by your previous provider.

yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

I owe 360 on level pay. Theyve only been taking 20 instead of sixty despite me telling them theyre not taking enough. 360 @ 1%×0.75 (9months)=€2.70 ive made in interest. Fook ya.

• Advertisement

yes you can
    You can move provider and the previous provider continues to charge you, plus the new provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes because some companies are so useless they continue to make up figures for your bill from oyur usage history and charge you every month. Cancel all direct debits with a company if you switch provider! Remember also that many companies will have more than one direct debit instruction active but dormant on your account

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

yes you can

No you cannot.

New supplier sends the old supplier through the closing read. Simple as.

Have heard of issues with the new Prepaid companies at times but 99.99 times no issues.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Yes because some companies are so useless they continue to make up figures for your bill from oyur usage history and charge you every month. Cancel all direct debits with a company if you switch provider! Remember also that many companies will have more than one direct debit instruction active but dormant on your account
    Huh? They got a final bill for a different amount to the level pay, based on a meter reading. How could that possibly be billing for usage after the account closed? You can't be billed by two electricity providers simultaneously.

Advertisement