Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P TSB - Telling me I'm in arrears when I'm not!!

Options
  • 17-02-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there's anything if can do.
    My mortgage payment date is 16th of each month. On two occasions in the past few months (including this month) the 16th fell on a weekend day. In this case I always ensure the money is there for the payment on the previous Friday and I have seen on both occasions that the money left my account on the Friday afternoon.
    However the payment is not received by the PTSB for a number of days and on both occasions they have called me on the Monday and told me I'm in arrears!

I find these calls very stressful. Surely it's not my fault if their system isn't set up to receive the money on time. They have even admitted to me that they can see the money had left my account on Friday. I have never (thankfully) missed a payment but these calls make me feel like a criminal!!

I am currently at home recovering from major surgery and this has raised my blood pressure through the roof!
    I was thinking of writing to them to point out any upcoming months where the 16th falls at the weekend so that if I end up with arrears letters I'll be able to show that I pre-empted it and it's not my fault. What do you think?

I'm so angry and frustrated about this! Aaaggghhh!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if there's anything if can do.
    My mortgage payment date is 16th of each month. On two occasions in the past few months (including this month) the 16th fell on a weekend day. In this case I always ensure the money is there for the payment on the previous Friday and I have seen on both occasions that the money left my account on the Friday afternoon.
    However the payment is not received by the PTSB for a number of days and on both occasions they have called me on the Monday and told me I'm in arrears!

I find these calls very stressful. Surely it's not my fault if their system isn't set up to receive the money on time. They have even admitted to me that they can see the money had left my account on Friday. I have never (thankfully) missed a payment but these calls make me feel like a criminal!!

I am currently at home recovering from major surgery and this has raised my blood pressure through the roof!
    I was thinking of writing to them to point out any upcoming months where the 16th falls at the weekend so that if I end up with arrears letters I'll be able to show that I pre-empted it and it's not my fault. What do you think?

I'm so angry and frustrated about this! Aaaggghhh!!

Is it paid by direct debit or a standing order?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

chris85 wrote: »
    Is it paid by direct debit or a standing order?

Direct debit - does that make a difference?

Thanks for replying! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If it was a standing order you set the date and it may be your fault that it wasn't hitting their account on time.

But as it is a DD, its up to the originator to contact your bank in good time before the due date, totally the banks fault.

Try making a formal complaint, its would be worth getting clarification of how this is affecting your standing within the bank. Obviously its not late enough for the bank to be contacting the ICB but still its just not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If it was a standing order you set the date and it may be your fault that it wasn't hitting their account on time.

But as it is a DD, its up to the originator to contact your bank in good time before the due date, totally the banks fault.

Try making a formal complaint, its would be worth getting clarification of how this is affecting your standing within the bank. Obviously its not late enough for the bank to be contacting the ICB but still its just not good enough.

If she only makes the money available on the last week day prior to the due date the bank have no chance to get it through on time. How then is it the fault of the bank? She is effectively making the money available for transfer on the due day when she knows it will take a couple of days to process (I don't understand, however, why it takes days to make an electronic transfer)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Good point, w need to find out what day the bank is trying to take the money out, upc for example are contacting the bank 6 days in advance of the due date.

Are the bank saying you are missing the dd s earlier in the month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hi all,
    I should have been clearer - the most frustrating part is that the payment is from a PTSB current account into a PTSB mortgage account.
    It shouldn't have to take three days to transfer the funds! Both accounts are even in the same branch!! Their advertising campaign of "back to basics" is laughable to say the least!!

I'm definitely going to write a formal complaint just to put across my side of the story and to cover myself in case this goes any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I also have a PTSB mortgage and current account and have never had any issues like that. Definitely make a written complaint. Maybe it's something really stupid like the type of current account you have?

Advertisement