Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC offer 6 months at reduced price for NEW CUSTOMERS!!

• 17-02-2014 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭

UPC have many bundle plans that are at reduced price for first six months and then increased to certain amount after six months for new customers. They mention it on their website that current member can avail of this bundle offer. But when I called them to get one they rejected that 'only for new customers' and I will have to pay the after six months price, in short no offer price. Now, I have finished my 12 month contract already and when I change to any other plans they give us new contract binding us for 12 months or pay the cancellation fees. Shouldnt I be getting the offer in either this or that scenario- current customer can avail it or my contract will be renewing anyways :confused:

Really pissed with UPC. Can I take this issue to consumer rights department?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

UPC have many bundle plans that are at reduced price for first six months and then increased to certain amount after six months for new customers. They mention it on their website that current member can avail of this bundle offer. But when I called them to get one they rejected that 'only for new customers' and I will have to pay the after six months price, in short no offer price.
    Can you link to where their website says these discounts are available to existing customers? Such offers are usually only there to entice new customers.
    Now, I have finished my 12 month contract already and when I change to any other plans they give us new contract binding us for 12 months or pay the cancellation fees. Shouldnt I be getting the offer in either this or that scenario- current customer can avail it or my contract will be renewing anyways :confused:
    You are the same person with the same address so you are the same customer. You are not a new customer no matter if you get a new contract.
    Really pissed with UPC. Can I take this issue to consumer rights department?
    On what basis? There is no breach of consumer rights, you are not entitled to be treated as a new customer, UPC's T&C's are clear and apply to everyone so no discrimination laws broken.

In many cases if you ring the UPC customer retention folks and threaten to leave, you may be offered a discount or other perk to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Can you link to where their website says these discounts are available to existing customers? Such offers are usually only there to entice new customers.

for example- http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband/
    click on already a customer under their connection section on one of the bundles. It clearly say "Yes, existing customers who live in an enabled area can now order any of our bundle offers, for example a Broadband, Digital TV and Home Phone bundle or simply a Broadband and Home Phone bundle"

and I can thus claim on the basis of misleading or manipulative information.

for example- http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband/
    click on already a customer under their connection section on one of the bundles. It clearly say "Yes, existing customers who live in an enabled area can now order any of our bundle offers, for example a Broadband, Digital TV and Home Phone bundle or simply a Broadband and Home Phone bundle"

and I can thus claim on the basis of misleading or manipulative information.

The bundle offer is the combination of services. The price shown on the page http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband/ clearly states "Offer applies to new customers" under the price shown, indicating that the price displayed only applies to new customers .

The "Already a customer?" link is locatedin the "Connection" row, not the pricing, and nothing in that "Already a customer?" link quotes a price or a discount. All it says is that existing customers can avail of the bundles offered. The previous ""Offer applies to new customers" disqualifies existing customers from the discounted price.
    In fact if you click on the link "For detailed pricing info- click here" it brings you to this page specifically for existing customers. On the bottom of that page are three links
    I am an existing customer who would like to order a bundle with TV, Broadband & Home Phone - click here.

I am an existing UPC Broadband customer ONLY who would also like Home Phone - click here.
    I am an existing UPC TV customer ONLY who would also like Broadband - click here.
    all of of which quote the full price with no discount.

What is misleading about that?

The bundle offer is the combination of services. The price shown on the page http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband/ clearly states "Offer applies to new customers" under the price shown, indicating that the price displayed only applies to new customers .

The "Already a customer?" link is locatedin the "Connection" row, not the pricing, and nothing in that "Already a customer?" link quotes a price or a discount. All it says is that existing customers can avail of the bundles offered. The previous ""Offer applies to new customers" disqualifies existing customers from the discounted price.
    In fact if you click on the link "For detailed pricing info- click here" it brings you to this page specifically for existing customers. On the bottom of that page are three links

all of of which quote the full price with no discount.

What is misleading about that?

the words that I have highlighted are not what it says- it say our bundle offers they both mean very different.
    and the three options you are talking about.... try clicking one of them and then see the list of bundles or options. click on one of them- it again shows the offer price for first six months and then increased price for after six months :rolleyes:
    It definitely is misleading information AND manipulative information.

the words that I have highlighted are not what it says- it say our bundle offers they both mean very different.
    Honestly :confused:
    Bundle offers are the bundles. They are offering the bundles to exiting customers as well as to new customers

and the three options you are talking about.... try clicking one of them and then see the list of bundles or options. click on one of them- it again shows the offer price for first six months and then increased price for after six months :rolleyes:
    It definitely is misleading information AND manipulative information.

OK lets do it. Let's click on the first of the 3 options and take the first bundle offer
    Fibre Limited Bundle - Limited 50Mb Broadband (10GB download allowance), Digital Select Extra & Digital + and Home Phone with Freetime World (400 FREE minutes to selected international countries.) All three for only €53 - Click here to check out this bundle offer.
    The link underlined (by me) just brings you back to the original ad which clearly shows the (reduced) price €35 is for new customers only.

Now, lets click on "More info" and read the T&Cs relating to Special Offers:
    €35 for six months: The special price of €35 a month for 6 months only applies to the highlighted bundles and is for new UPC customers who order online or in store only. After 6 months the normal monthly price with apply. Offer ends 31 March 2014.

The main ad displays the price for new customers, the price for existing customers is given albeit with a bit of drilling down, and even the T&Cs of the discount limit it to new customers.

I do believe the pricing for existing customers should be accessible directly from the main ad without much drilling down but I don't think the main ad is misleading.

All the information is there, you just have to read it.

• Advertisement

OK lets do it. Let's click on the first of the 3 options and take the first bundle offer

The link underlined (by me) just brings you back to the original ad which clearly shows the (reduced) price €35 is for new customers only.

Now, lets click on "More info" and read the T&Cs relating to Special Offers:

The main ad displays the price for new customers, the price for existing customers is given albeit with a bit of drilling down, and even the T&Cs of the discount limit it to new customers.

I do believe the pricing for existing customers should be accessible directly from the main ad without much drilling down but I don't think the main ad is misleading.

All the information is there, you just have to read it.

You sound like a UPC guy to me :D
    Why is it that if I go through existing customers link and get the list of packages and still am shown the price for the new customers where nothing is mentioned about 'only to new customers' phrase or condition
    from here http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/385
    I clicked first option which led me to here http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/386 and then on selecting the last bundle on the list I got this page http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband-phone/complete-bundle/
    Now where on any of this page does it specify that the price 35 euros is only for new customers or not for existing customers.
    so your phrase I do believe the pricing for existing customers should be accessible directly from the main ad without much drilling down is simply irrelevant coz even after 'drilling down' nothing is made clear for existing customers. In fact it does create an illusion that this price is available to current customers woohooo!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Why is it that if I go through existing customers link and get the list of packages and still am shown the price for the new customers where nothing is mentioned about 'only to new customers' phrase or condition
    I clicked first option which led me to here http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/386 and then on selecting the last bundle on the list I got this page http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband-phone/complete-bundle/
    Now where on any of this page does it specify that the price 35 euros is only for new customers or not for existing customers.
    so your phrase I do believe the pricing for existing customers should be accessible directly from the main ad without much drilling down is simply irrelevant coz even after 'drilling down' nothing is made clear for existing customers. In fact it does create an illusion that this price is available to current customers woohooo!!:rolleyes:

There is nothing mentioned about bundle pricing on the links provided, so therefore no need to inform you of what a new customer would pay compared to an existing customer.

However go to the main page for bundles and its clearly advised that the price applies to new customers only

http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband-phone/

There is nothing mentioned about bundle pricing on the links provided, so therefore no need to inform you of what a new customer would pay compared to an existing customer.

However go to the main page for bundles and its clearly advised that the price applies to new customers only

on the same page under every listing there is a link for existing'already a customer' :) and then follow all the links as discussed

Exactly....so what is your confusion?

Did you really personally checked these links?

• Advertisement

Did you really personally checked these links?

Yeah, im literally looking at where it says 'Offer applies to new customers'.

Yeah, im literally looking at where it says 'Offer applies to new customers'.

if it is not the main page can you give me the link you are looking at or share the web page picture.

Go to UPC.ie and then press the button for 'bundles' at the top of the page.

Go to UPC.ie and then press the button for 'bundles' at the top of the page.

:D So you are talking abt main page

:D So you are talking abt main page

Ah here, get onto the 'consumer rights department' and they will show you.

Ah here, get onto the 'consumer rights department' and they will show you.

Will call them tomorrow and see what they think abt it.

So you're ignoring the text "All three for only €53" on the page entitled "I am an existing TV customer ONLY who would also like Broadband and Home Phone." which you got to by clicking on links for existing customers and you still interpret that the special pricing (which the main ad and T&C state are for new customers) applies to everyone :confused:

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/386
    I am an existing TV customer ONLY who would also like Broadband and Home Phone.

If you are an existing customer ONLY who would like all three services you can now avail of the following Broadband, TV & Home Phone bundles:

Fibre Limited Bundle - Limited 50Mb Broadband (10GB download allowance), Digital Select Extra & Digital + and Home Phone with Freetime World (400 FREE minutes to selected international countries.) All three for only €53 - Click here to check out this bundle offer.

So you're ignoring the text "All three for only €53" on the page entitled "I am an existing TV customer ONLY who would also like Broadband and Home Phone." which you got to by clicking on links for existing customers and you still interpret that the special pricing (which the main ad and T&C state are for new customers) applies to everyone :confused:

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/386

I am a customer of UPC and I would click only the link that is relevant to my current situation. For me the first link is where I belong to

What if I autopay for the links provided for me online? Then would offer price show up on my bill or the after six months price? luckily I called them b4 as thats how I prefer to change my plan but If I would have done online I would end up with one of the following-
    I would get the offer price for first 6 months
    or would get after six months price in my bill which would shock me and make me feel cheated..

What if I autopay for the links provided for me online? Then would offer price show up on my bill or the after six months price? luckily I called them b4 as thats how I prefer to change my plan but If I would have done online I would end up with one of the following-
    I would get the offer price for first 6 months
    or would get after six months price in my bill which would shock me and make me feel cheated..

Apologies if I'm not clear what you are asking here.
    Are you asking if you, as an existing customer, would for qualify for the new customer discount by either paying by Direct Debit (Autopay) or signing up for a service bundle on-line (not by phone)?

Sorry, but apparently that's not how it works. As I said earlier you are still the same person at the same address so not a new customer. It might work though if if someone else in the household opened a new account, or you changed address.

And as I also mentioned previously, you could always contact UPC and negotiate a better deal if you mention the dreaded "leaving". Their Customer Loyalty Team seem to make good offers in order to retain custom. Always worth a shot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

These deals are to attract new customers, I don't understand why people don;t get this. To be frank all they do is create churn, existing UPC customers get pissed off and go to Sky and vice versa. Personally I pick Sky for TV, UPC for BB and am delighted with both services. I frankly couldn't give a crap about the few extra quid. I can save more on taking a flask of coffee with me to work and not buying a cappuccino.

It would be nice if there was some genuine competition in the industry, but there isn't. UPC do the only decent Broadband and Sky do the only decent pay TV.

Advertisement