Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick UPC Fibre Power Question

• 17-02-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Quick question, ordered 200mb, was told wired you get more or less the 200, but wireless you get about 50.
    is that the case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Lots of variables involved... I have 100Mbps, but would rarely see that in a single download even when wired. However if I had several downloads going at the same time, I'd get much closer. Wireless generally is far slower, but depends on your device & router. I bought a good Wifi router, and got up to 112Mbps (yes, even faster than the advertised broadband speed). And that's just with a good N router (with MIMO). The newer generation AC wifi routers are a good deal faster again - but you obviously need a new router and recent devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Quick question, ordered 200mb, was told wired you get more or less the 200, but wireless you get about 50.
    is that the case?

More like 60-70. Generally It's down to the limits of you devices wifi card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

is that the case?

You should get higher than 50 on Wi-Fi, what you get with a wired connection depends on the Ethernet port speed on your laptop. My Ethernet port is 100 Mb/sec whereas when I check the Wi-Fi adapter properties, it claims it's running at 130 Mb/sec.

This is my wireless performance right now, UPC says I have a 150 Mb connection and I'm due to be upgraded to 200 Mb on March 1....

3313092481.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

cheers guys, 50 would be fine as im currently at 14, just thinking once the 6 month €25 a month deal is up id be better going to the 120mb as its obviously a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Realistically the vast majority of people get in and around 40-50, 63 is particularly good

• Advertisement

if i got the 120 would the amount i realistically get lessen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I had UPC in my last house. 150 Meg connection and I would only get 50-60 whether wireless or wired. Made no difference. Had a 1 Gig network card in my desktop. UPC usually promise more than they can actually deliver.

Saying that I now have a 1meg connection in my new house with eircom and I hate you all :pac:

if i got the 120 would the amount i realistically get lessen?

I'm not sure you can ask to be downgraded, I've never asked for an upgrade but they keep upping my speed.

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can ask to be downgraded, I've never asked for an upgrade but they keep upping my speed.
    hit 70 wireless and nearing 150 wired, loving it haha.
    when i was ordering it the girl told me i could down grade at any point, i assumed id have to wait the 12 months contract time.
    obviously waiting till after the 6 months €25 deal is up.

in any how, thanks for the help everyone.

hit 70 wireless and nearing 150 wired, loving it haha.

You must have a Gigabit Ethernet adapter, mine is 100 Mb so not surprising that I can't get higher than 100 wired off a nominal 150 Mb connection....

3315732870.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement