Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cards

• 17-02-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭

Kilkenny are making a big thing about abolishing yellow and red cards, Brian Cody and Eddie Keher in particular are leading the charge. Let the card rule stand..........I hear no mention from Kilkenny about grabbing helmets or smaller backs pushing the helmets over the eyes of opponents faces.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Nor any mention of small backs getting pole axed by a hurl to the head and jumping straight up or getting chased around the pitch by what looked like a bull on heat. But neither of those points have anything to do with cards just as your last sentence doesn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

A knee in the back from an out rushing awkward back into the likes of a smaller stature player for example like Lionel Messi deserves a yellow card!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Listening to Keher on the Sean O'Rourke programme this morning he seems to be more concerned that we are aping Soccer. We can learn a lot from soccer if we do not let our Republicanism get in the way.

I notice that this thread is not attracting much attention so to give it a bit of jizz let me say that it is only Kilkenny that seem to have a problem with cards

Tommy Walsh fired a hurley at Lar Corbett when Corbett was through on goal, Corbett scored, what should have been the sanction for Walsh, name in the book, a yellow card, a red card?

Any player that interferes with another players headgear should at least get a yellow card.

I hope that this post throws the cats among the pigeons! Pun intended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Xenophile wrote: »
    I notice that this thread is not attracting much attention so to give it a bit of jizz let me say that it is only Kilkenny that seem to have a problem with cards

Tommy Walsh fired a hurley at Lar Corbett when Corbett was through on goal, Corbett scored, what should have been the sanction for Walsh, name in the book, a yellow card, a red card?

Any player that interferes with another players headgear should at least get a yellow card.

I hope that this post throws the cats among the pigeons! Pun intended!
    I'm not certain, but I felt throwing a hurley was a yellow offence and holding headgear was a red card offence, not 100% on the rules myself but I'm basing this on what I have generally seen in club games in the last few years.

Abolishing cards is nonsense, I wish not to go into great depth on this but it would suit the style of play of one particular county above all others. Would ruin the game, there needs to be a deterrent on foul play and limits need to be set, etc.

Anyway, it's not as if cards are having an overall negative impact as it stands. Why "fix" something that isn't really broken??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'm wondering do Kilkenny fans have any views on this?

If somebody from my own county was coming out with the stuff Cody and Keher have been coming out with (and the Comerfords actually) I'd be a bit embarrassed by it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm a Kilkenny fan and not at all embarrassed by it. Why would I be? The suggestions would make very little difference to how the game is played, just give ref's more control over when to take someone's name/send them off etc.

Really not understanding all the vitriol towards the suggestion (which originally emanated from Cork but don't let that get in the way!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Are they talking about removing the refs ability to send a player off or dismissing him after a quick char without flashing a card?

Sundays Kilkenny V Tipperary game shows the need to keep the card system. In my view the incident where the Kilkenny player went to kick the ball away as a Tipp player was about to take a free and the Kilkenny player gets the butt of the hurley into the stomach for his unsporting behavior. What was the ref to do ? call the two players together issue no cards and tell them not to be such naughty boys! There should have been two yellow cards issued. The card system is good and should never be abandoned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Are they talking about removing the refs ability to send a player off or dismissing him after a quick char without flashing a card?

They are only talking about removing the use of yellow and red cards, ref's would still take players names, warn them, order them off exactly as they used to do for decades before yellow and red cards came along.

I don't see the point really, almost no change whatsoever from the situation we have now, despite all the completely uninformed posts on this and other threads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement