Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading microsoft xp and word 2003

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Phoenix wrote: »
    I have a Dell dimension 3100 with 2 gigs of ram running xp 32 any ideas?

Unless your processor is hopeless, Windows 7 should run on that. Or if you want to go down the Linux route, try Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Their desktop environments run better on old hardware than the standard Ubuntu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Unless your processor is hopeless, Windows 7 should run on that. Or if you want to go down the Linux route, try Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Their desktop environments run better on old hardware than the standard Ubuntu.

Do not even consider Windows 7 on it unless you have a dual core cpu. Even then your Windows 7 experience will not be great, you'll have to disable aero, indexing and prefetch to get any sort of performance. Not worth it at all IMO

I should add its a Pentium 4 running at 3.00 GHZ

Which means it's single core, it's a power hungry dinosaur, it's days are over

• Advertisement

So nothing can be done for it bar heading to Linux?

What do you expect to do with it, it's nearly 10 years old, I estimate about 2005

I dont expect it to run on windows 8.1 of course :pac: but is microsft are shutting services for general xp consumers i am seeking alternatives

You'd find a Core2Duo with Windows 7 on Adverts.ie for about €120 plus shipping

So nothing can be done for it bar heading to Linux?

Windows 7 without Aero would run on that with 2GB RAM. Not fantastically well, but it will run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It will going to be slow on the web no matter what you do.

So what's the point.

beauf wrote: »
    It will going to be slow on the web no matter what you do.

So what's the point.

Exactly and will get worse, not worth it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is a Dell D620 worth upgrading?

WikiHow wrote: »

Not really, although it has dual core it's the older Core Duo mobile cpu. Doubt it can take more than 2GB ram either. Linux is your best bet

WikiHow wrote: »

Latitude D620 can take up to 4GB RAM according to Crucial. I have one that runs Vista so it should be able to run Windows 7 quite comfortably, especially if you upgraded the RAM. Never going to be fantastic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Would 2GB Ram be sufficient to drive windows 7?

Depends what you are doing. Have it on a c2d 1.5Ghz lappy with 2GB and its fine. No problems with anything. But its only used for office stuff and browsing.

But also have it on old 4GB Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz and its slow. For office stuff and moving files around its fine. But its slow browsing the web. The problem isn't Windows 7, its that the Web requires more power as websites get more complex. Especially streaming video. If you have a graphics card that can take some of the load off, for page rendering and handing video, it helps. The Xeon has an old AGP Quadro280 64mb but still is slow. Its just too old.

Your issue isn't the 2GB of RAM its how old is the machine, and whats the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Do not even consider Windows 7 on it unless you have a dual core cpu. Even then your Windows 7 experience will not be great, you'll have to disable aero, indexing and prefetch to get any sort of performance. Not worth it at all IMO

I call bull**** on that. Up until very recently I had a laptop with a single core Celeron @1.73GHz with only 1GB ram and it ran both 7 and 8's preview builds perfectly fine. You seem to be mixing up 7 with Vista for whatever reason, because it came with vista and ran like ****, but ran about 5 times faster with 7 installed (and aero ran fine FYI). The only reason I upgraded recently was because the charging pin broke after 7 years.

Botulism wrote: »
    I call bull**** on that. Up until very recently I had a laptop with a single core Celeron @1.73GHz with only 1GB ram and it ran both 7 and 8's preview builds perfectly fine. You seem to be mixing up 7 with Vista for whatever reason, because it came with vista and ran like ****, but ran about 5 times faster with 7 installed (and aero ran fine FYI). The only reason I upgraded recently was because the charging pin broke after 7 years.

A single core Celly with 1GB ram, I'm sure you're having a great experience. A modern day browser needs that ram alone, nevermind the overheads of an OS
    http://www.ghacks.net/2014/01/02/chrome-34-firefox-29-internet-explorer-11-memory-use-2014/

A fresh patched up to date install of Vista runs fine on decent hardware, the biggest problem with Vista is that they made the minimum requirements too low, but now hardware has caught up it's fine. The service packs have fixed most of the sluggishness issues but it needs a fresh install to sort

Its does work though. Someone in the family has a Dell 1300 laptop, 2GB 1.6Ghz Celeron M. With Windows 7. Its usuable, they are happy with it. But I would find it a little sluggish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

A modern day browser needs that ram alone, nevermind the overheads of an OS
    http://www.ghacks.net/2014/01/02/chrome-34-firefox-29-internet-explorer-11-memory-use-2014/

That may be true for the top 3 browsers, but I blame that on
    1) IE being slow anyways
    2) Firefox having a ton of memory leaks
    3) Chrome creating a process for every little thing/being a botnet.

I switched to Opera while I had that laptop and was delighted. I still use it on this brand new one, and not that ****ty chromium based version either.

Advertisement