Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG Week 2014

Options
  • 17-02-2014 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

It's terrible Joe....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dunnygawl Toosdai

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sure without the students, there'd be no jobs. You shouldn't be disgusted when they piss and puke on your doorstep, you should make sure they are alright and buy them a breakfast roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

On my way into NUIG at 9am, had to go via town as opposed to my usual route - I met so many Donegal-shirted people on their way in to town. AT 9AM!!! Sure, let them off. Just hope there's no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wearing a Donegal shirt should be declared a crime against humanity. (Unless you're actually in Donegal.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,663 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I remember back when I was in college, Hole in the Wall was actually a regular of mine so we went there a good bit. I was there for one of the first Donegal Tuesdays, when it was actually just for people from Donegal in college in Galway. I just happened to be there the same day. Nothing out of the ordinary for RAG Week days. RAG Week days there were brilliant and never any trouble in the years I was there. That Donegal Tuesday day was great to be fair, for everyone.

The only trouble I have seen in relation to this day have been the last 3 years (2012 +2013), both which happened to have 5/6 bus loads of people coming down from Donegal for the day. Coincidence? I'll let you make up your own mind... In my opinion, a lot of the trouble brewed from 'foreigners' (ie non NUIG students) coming in for the day, and not giving a siht really what happened as they would be gone again that night or the following morning. Not their mess to clean up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

There is a queue to get in to the hole in the wall..all the way round to eddie rockets...there isnt even enough room for that many people outside that pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    There is a queue to get in to the hole in the wall..all the way round to eddie rockets...there isnt even enough room for that many people outside that pub!

Before 11am too and people still insist that the Irish do not have alcohol problems :rolleyes:

Glad to see the students are not suffering from the recession with all their disposable income which will be drank this week. How is it that i know people in full time jobs that cannot afford to drink as much as some students who go out several nights a week!

I'm all for personal responsibility though and i would suggest heavy fines for anyone caught breaching the peace or creating a public disturbance this week as a disincentive.

God help the nurses and doctors working A&E this week having to deal with hoardes of idiots who cannot handle their alcohol by lacking the maturity to drink responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

zarquon wrote: »
    Glad to see the students are not suffering from the recession with all their disposable income which will be drank this week.
    To be fair the recession is over ya know. And even in the 90's we had no money but there was always the grant and Student loans for Rag Week. Heaven forbid some of them might have a part-time job.

The 11am trip to the pub is not new either. The only difference is we had a bit of self-respect and wouldn't queue for a kip like the Hole in the Wall.

For the record I hate Rag week now as an working adult and was already greeted this morning with a lake of Puke outside my front door. But Students will be Students...and there's always going to be some that will ruin it for the whole Student Population. I'm just hoping there's no parents who will lose their young sons/daughters this week due to that Retarded neknomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Before 11am too and people still insist that the Irish do not have alcohol problems :rolleyes:

Glad to see the students are not suffering from the recession with all their disposable income which will be drank this week. How is it that i know people in full time jobs that cannot afford to drink as much as some students who go out several nights a week!

I'm all for personal responsibility though and i would suggest heavy fines for anyone caught breaching the peace or creating a public disturbance this week as a disincentive.

God help the nurses and doctors working A&E this week having to deal with hoardes of idiots who cannot handle their alcohol by lacking the maturity to drink responsibly.

going out for many students now consists of staying at home drinking until after twelve and then bringing a naggin into a nightclub or pub for an hour and a half,not really gonna set you back much.

To be fair the recession is over ya know. And even in the 90's we had no money but there was always the grant and Student loans for Rag Week. Heaven forbid some of them might have a part-time job.

The grant should not be a subsidy for Student drinking culture. It seriously p1sses me off to see some people complain about the student grants not being enough to fund their education and some of those same people partially using it then as a weekend entertainment fund. The grant was designed as an education enabler not an entertainment lifestyle support mechanism.
    I'm just hoping there's no parents who will lose their young sons/daughters this week due to that Retarded neknomination.

This is a fair point, there could be some fairly OTT shenanigans this week due to neknomination. I know 2 lads who were admitted to hospital due to alcohol poisoning caused by their neknomination. One was in a coma for a while. Immaturity+large volumes of alcohol = Stupidy on a grand scale.

I don't want to sound cruel but i do wonder if people hurting themselves in such situations is just darwinism at play and the question remains will we see any darwin awards candidates this week around Galway.
    going out for many students now consists of staying at home drinking until after twelve and then bringing a naggin into a nightclub or pub for an hour and a half,not really gonna set you back much.

So what the hundreds of students that fill the pubs during the late evenings? There are plenty who still go out regularly, those who are broke or close to broke will do as you say so the point remains if you are totally broke as a student, is it not stupid to be buyings naggins regularly and still hitting the clubs. When i was a student i couldn't afford to go out, the grant was a lot smaller back then and i didn't have parents to subsidise me nor would the bank.

It sickens me the atitude that peoples are owed funding from the taxpayer and then waste it away.

I know of one guy who was b1tching incessantly about the delay in his grant and as soon as he eventually got it went out and bought a large screen TV straight away and partied that weekend like it was his last few days on earth. Needless to say a few months later he was penniless again and b1tching once again about the grant/government/banks, etc and that the grant should be increased!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

Like this is a seriously dangerous situation, reminiscent of what happened in Coppers a few weeks ago.

Animals!

Why did the staff continue to force the barricades closed, when the crowd had lost all control?

How no one was seriously hurt!

Any Gardaí in sight?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The grant should not be a subsidy for Student drinking culture. It seriously p1sses me off to see some people complain about the student grants not being enough to fund their education and some of those same people partially using it then as a weekend entertainment fund. The grant was designed as an education enabler not an entertainment lifestyle support mechanism.

This is a fair point, there could be some fairly OTT shenanigans this week due to neknomination. I know 2 lads who were admitted to hospital due to alcohol poisoning caused by their neknomination. One was in a coma for a while. Immaturity+large volumes of alcohol = Stupidy on a grand scale.

I don't want to sound cruel but i do wonder if people hurting themselves in such situations is just darwinism at play and the question remains will we see any darwin awards candidates this week around Galway.

So what the hundreds of students that fill the pubs during the late evenings? There are plenty who still go out regularly, those who are broke or close to broke will do as you say so the point remains if you are totally broke as a student, is it not stupid to be buyings naggins regularly and still hitting the clubs. When i was a student i couldn't afford to go out, the grant was a lot smaller back then and i didn't have parents to subsidise me nor would the bank.

It sickens me the atitude that peoples are owed funding from the taxpayer and then waste it away.

I know of one guy who was b1tching incessantly about the delay in his grant and as soon as he eventually got it went out and bought a large screen TV straight away and partied that weekend like it was his last few days on earth. Needless to say a few months later he was penniless again and b1tching once again about the grant/government/banks, etc and that the grant should be increased!
    What pubs are you in that are full in the evenings? After 11 or 12 the later venues are busy but pubs around town arent thronged with students 7 nights a week.
    If they can afford to go out then thats their business, its not something id be doing at 10am on a Tuesday and if they are stupid enough to do something which will end up with them in bother then im sure they'll be dealt with, other than that its not really an issue as far as i can see. No different to Paddys Day, Arthurs Day, Race Week etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

a94.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Why did the staff continue to force the barricades closed, when the crowd had lost all control?

Any Gardaí in sight

According to Galway Bay FM the Gardai closed the place down last night as it was getting out of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Like this is a seriously dangerous situation, reminiscent of what happened in Coppers a few weeks ago.

Animals!

Any Gardaí in sight?
    A problem easily fixed by having numerous bouncers in the queue and splitting the queue into segments, as Carbon often do. Can hardly blame drunken people for poor management of the queue in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    A problem easily fixed by having numerous bouncers in the queue and splitting the queue into segments, as Carbon often do. Can hardly blame drunken people for poor management of the queue in fairness.

No.

But who would stay in a heaving mass like that.

Stupid.

Herd mentality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

gal2.jpg

Note the Garda camera in the top right -it works!

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Yes, let not blame those displaying idiot drunken behaviour. Let's instead blame businesses and Gardai for not correctly managing drunken people.

While your at it, lets blame Galway City Council for all the piss and puke we will see this week instead of the culprits as clearly it will the councils fault for not providing portaloos and buckets every 100 metres. Can hardly expect drunken people to control themselves in fairness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

snubbleste wrote: »
    gal2.jpg

Note the Garda camera in the top right -it works!

Except the businesses are blocked off and the Public have no access to the footpath. Disabled people will also not be able to get up the street. Cannot see how it's legal personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

With regards to grant money being spent on alcohol; the vast majority of students from Donegal are grant recipients are will save up this "educational aid" for use as drink money throughout the year. Tonight will be a mess before 8pm with these people stumbling about the place.

Another thing, before all students get painted with the same brush I am in the college library now ,and should be studying :/, the place is packed. A few clowns make a lot of noise and all of us end up getting tarred with the same brush, not too fair.

• Advertisement

Love the way all students get tarred with the same brush here.

I'm not a student anymore, and I didn't receive the grant either but going by this thread, every student is a lout who wastes the taxpayers money by getting the grant and spending it all on this one week. I worked weekends all through college & duly spent that money every Monday, Wednesday & Thursday night. Do I regret any of it? No. They were my 'weekends', just like now I work Monday - Friday and duly spend that money on Friday & Saturday nights.

I've probably been in worse states in terms of drunkenness as a 'tax-paying adult' than I have been as a student since then too.

I'm not a fan of neknomination either myself (just bored by it after I watched 2) but blaming the 'game' entirely is stupid. It was actually a good idea imo in it's original form, it's the stupid idiots that took it too far that should be chastised, not the 'game'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Yes, let not blame those displaying idiot drunken behaviour. Let's instead blame businesses and Gardai for not correctly managing drunken people.

While your at it, lets blame Galway City Council for all the piss and puke we will see this week instead of the culprits as clearly it will the councils fault for not providing portaloos and buckets every 100 metres. Can hardly expect drunken people to control themselves in fairness :rolleyes:

Well they know it's going to be a rowdy crowd, everyone knows that. What's easier in your opinion? Stop thousands of drunken people entering the city at the same time or putting more bouncers in the queue with a better plan to deal with it? Electric Garden should have been smarter there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

As a student of NUIG I hate these fúcking idiots who come down to Galway to make sh!t of the place on "donegal tuesday". Its donegal day every day in Donegal so why don't they just stay there the pricks.

RAG week isn't what it was and hasn't been for a good few years now. I wish it would just die out, does nothing but cause trouble for the student body as a whole.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

People being drunk is no problem most of the time.

People being drunk and running around like idiots at 5 in the morning chucking bottles, jumping on cars and generally being arseholes is a problem.

So, vast majority of student population = no problem.
    Small minority of thick as pigsh1t entitled little fcukers thinking they own the place for a week and have a right to ruin it for everyone is a problem.

But everyone hates these fcukers. It's nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

We have a perpetual problem of alcohol abuse that costs millions upon millions a year and likely holds many of us back from achieving our full potential. Taking the attitude that "Sure, we were all young once" and "Don't be so dry, it's only a bit of craic" is just helping to keep this moving.

Of course, the really dangerous talk comes when we speak about stemming the flow. How can it be fixed? The older generation leading by example. We've created an environment where socializing 9 times out of 10 will include alcohol, people get drunk in the airports on their way to a holiday destination where they'll spend a week drunk off their asses, Every bank holiday is seen as a chance for an extra night of drinking on the weekend. Part of our marketing for tourists is the fact that we're fun drunks. Family get togethers, involve drinking. Weddings last at least an entire day in Ireland, a good wedding is one that goes until 4, 5 or 6 the next day, funerals include drinking. We drink when we're happy, we drink when we're sad. We drink when the weather is bad and we rush to the pubs when the weather is good.

On the plus side, this is the lost generation. So the drunks we're producing will become Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Americas problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

So, vast majority of student population = no problem.
    Small minority of thick as pigsh1t entitled little fcukers thinking they own the place for a week and have a right to ruin it for everyone is a problem.

I'd love to know just how many of them actually are students.

I'm article I remember reading during the year about charges that came from the "supermacs riot" last year - a 28 year old that was never to college was up on charges.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    We've created an environment where socializing 9 times out of 10 will include alcohol, people get drunk in the airports on their way to a holiday destination where they'll spend a week drunk off their asses, Every bank holiday is seen as a chance for an extra night of drinking on the weekend. Part of our marketing for tourists is the fact that we're fun drunks. Family get togethers, involve drinking. Weddings last at least an entire day in Ireland, a good wedding is one that goes until 4, 5 or 6 the next day, funerals include drinking. We drink when we're happy, we drink when we're sad. We drink when the weather is bad and we rush to the pubs when the weather is good.

And I wouldn't change a bit of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

just in eyre square there and the place is full of donegal people . i hope it dosent get out of hand later

Wompa1 wrote: »
    people get drunk in the airports on their way to a holiday destination where they'll spend a week drunk off their asses

Them few pints are some of the best pints you'll have! :):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

just in eyre square there and the place is full of donegal people . i hope it dosent get out of hand later

It almost certainly will.

Advertisement