Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG Week 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

zarquon wrote: »
    I think you'll find that plenty complain about the idiotic race week behaviour that goes on, both in real life and on boards. If you deny this you are either living in a bubble or too busy revelling in race week to notice.

Also LMAO on the students keeping the city afloat therefore lets excuse any antisocial behaviour. Yes, it's the penniless students looking for beer specials injecting the primary funds into the local economy - it's absolutely nothing to do with all of the major multinationals in the city. Pubs and clubs would suffer in addition to opportunistic landlords selling substandard accommodation at heavily inflated prices. I wouldn't shed too many tears for the pub/club owners or these landlords.

Does westport have these big multinationals? Keep cherry picking facts to support your theory. The city would survive without students but take the multinationals out of the city and the economy would be destroyed and then Galway might begin to look like westport :rolleyes:
    25% of the population of the city, give or take, is students.

Also, the bolded part shows how much you know. If there were no 3rd level institutions in Galway, do you think MNCs would have come here in the first place? Absolutely not. They are hugely related to each other.

Also, nobody is saying that just because students are here that it's okay for there to be unrest. What they're saying is that it is to be expected. It's not right. But it happens, and there isn't much that can be done apart from convicting those caught. Ireland always has and always will have a fondness for drink. Not much that can be done on that front, and measures like minimum pricing will just force people to find other ways to afford to get drunk (but that's another conversation.)

I think you'll find that plenty complain about the idiotic race week behaviour that goes on, both in real life and on boards. If you deny this you are either living in a bubble or too busy revelling in race week to notice.

Also LMAO on the students keeping the city afloat therefore lets excuse any antisocial behaviour. Yes, it's the penniless students looking for beer specials injecting the primary funds into the local economy - it's absolutely nothing to do with all of the major multinationals in the city. Pubs and clubs would suffer in addition to opportunistic landlords selling substandard accommodation at heavily inflated prices. I wouldn't shed too many tears for the pub/club owners or these landlords.

Does westport have these big multinationals? Keep cherry picking facts to support your theory. The city would survive without students but take the multinationals out of the city and the economy would be destroyed and then Galway might begin to look like westport :rolleyes:

You are totally wrong in thinking that the university isn't a key part of Galways success as a city. You are saying you wouldn't shed a tear for the publicans but what about the 100's of people who work for them?

What about the millions that students spend in the retail sector in the city, all the people employed between the University and GMIT, all the money students spend on socializing, all the money spent on rent?

As was mentioned above also, having a successful university is key in attracting big multinationals also.

Galway would collapse over night if both the University and IT disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,487 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

They are young adults having fun. Lucky fcukers.

Wish I could transport myself back to those days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

As was mentioned above also, having a successful university is key in attracting big multinationals also.

Galway would collapse over night if both the University and IT disappeared.

I'd contest THE University being key to attracting multi-nationals. Ireland is such a small country, there's plenty of third level institutes within a short distance when compared relatively to larger countries. Also in the grand scheme of things the quality of the University and the IT would not be on par with those in some other countries. Everything comes down to the bottom line, The reason multi-nationals setup in Galway and Ireland in general has nothing to do with how great we all are. It's money.

It's unfortunate that Galway would be in such a bad way if the University and IT disappear. They are the largest employer in Galway. But that's public funding, so that money is coming out of all of our pockets. You need private Enterprise to keep the public bodies running.

Yawwwwn, getting students to stop drinking will never happen.

I vote for an actual effective measure. The university reserves the right to hold a test worth 40% of the grade for a module at a 9am lecture during any week where a RAG week is planned.

That's what my university used to do in RAG week, and it was very effective at keeping the worst of the madness at bay.
    ciano1 wrote: »
    RAG week would be held a week earlier or later.. simples!
    That's when you change it. It's not like it's a big secret when it's on.

Even more effective would be if they actually upheld the Student Handbook that they all hand out which states you can be punished if you bring the reputation of the college down through your actions in or outside the college...it's already there and is agreed with by proxy of taking a place in the college.

BUT if they kicked a bunch of people out of college they would lose funding. All about the Money

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Found a pair of purple knickers in hazel park

Tugboats wrote: »

Were they on somebodys clothesline at the time?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gardai say less arrests this rag week than during race week last year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    No, his point is that people only complain when it is students going out drinking for some reason. When everyone does it for Race Week it's seen as a fine thing even though those people cause a lot more hassle.

Hypocrisy is fcuking huge on these boards. Most of the people on here have either a. been part of a Rag week and not complained about it when they were drinking and having the craic or b. Are a part of race week and don't complain despite the problems and fights that happen in the city during it.

Also, without the students here from September to April Galway would be fcuking empty and half the jobs here would be gone now. Something else people fail to notice. Galway would have the exact same problems as Westport is facing now if it weren't for the students spending money on rent, food, books, other things and nights out so don't be chastising them for keeping the local economy afloat.

People do complain about Race week! There's a thread every single year on it. The only hypocrisy I see is people who claim whataboutary in the face of clear anti-social behaviour like that somehow excuses it.

I don't have a problem with students having fun, I do have a problem with mass-piss ups that result in anti-social behaviour that strains our social services and interferes with other people living their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You sound like you're mad craic altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Trying to keep this thread as free flowing as possible, don't make that more difficult by exchanging personal digs

Gardai say less arrests this rag week than during race week last year.

That's good news BUT from what I can see, it's no thanks to the pubs\clubs or the colleges themselves.

I'd hazard a guess that there's less money floating around so the party didn't last as long as in previous years.

But people call my a cynic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Wompa1 wrote: »
    That's good news BUT from what I can see, it's no thanks to the pubs\clubs or the colleges themselves.

I'd hazard a guess that there's less money floating around so the party didn't last as long as in previous years.

But people call my a cynic

Absolutely it's to do with less money available. Same with race week which has calmed down slightly in the last few years due to lesser attendance. Most of the celtic tiger raised brats have now graduated.

Call me a cynic too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm in second year nuig and haven't gone out one night this week and don't plan on it either, load of crap it is.
    Ya I know I'm great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm in second year nuig and haven't gone out one night this week and don't plan on it either, load of crap it is.
    Ya I know I'm great.

In fairness I don't think anyone begrudges someone going out a night or two or even three as long as they behave themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

In fairness I don't think anyone begrudges someone going out a night or two or even three as long as they behave themselves.

Of course I wouldn't begrudge anyone (but plenty would!) Rag week is just not my cup of tea, too packed, too crazy. I prefer going out at weekends anyway. I must be getting old!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

anna080 wrote: »
    Of course I wouldn't begrudge anyone (but plenty would!) Rag week is just not my cup of tea, too packed, too crazy. I prefer going out at weekends anyway. I must be getting old!
    Sure I'm the same like! If it wasn't for the fact that I met a friend on Tuesday night I wouldn't have gone out, was saving my money for Friend Within this Saturday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭SG8

Tugboats wrote: »

Did you tug your boat Tugboats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Absolutely it's to do with less money available. Same with race week which has calmed down slightly in the last few years due to lesser attendance. Most of the celtic tiger raised brats have now graduated.

Call me a cynic too;)

Jesus, you sound like one bitter person. I was born in the 80's so by your logic I'd be one of those "celtic tiger raised brats" you refer to. Yet from the the age of 16 right up until the Christmas of my Final year in college I held down a part time job working every weekend and every summer. Sure I went out and I drank plenty while in college but I struggle to see how Im a celtic tiger brat? And I know this was the cases for loads of others who were in college at the same time as me. But well done on tarring everyone with the same brush. :rolleyes:

And its laughable how low some people will go to take a swipe at the students. Most were well behaved this year. And it must be heartbreaking for some as they have nothing to complain about now. So since there was no major disturbances reported it's because nobody has any money this year? :confused: Looked like that at the hole in wall on Tuesday. A few here just seem desperate to have a go at the students if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Love the good oul fashioned Irish mammy Mentality in here. When there's nothing to complain about, complain anyways. No trouble = Nobody went out cause they had no money... Riiiiight. From reading this read one would think there was an agenda floating around somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Love the good oul fashioned Irish mammy Mentality in here. When there's nothing to complain about, complain anyways. No trouble = Nobody went out cause they had no money... Riiiiight. From reading this read one would think there was an agenda floating around somewhere

The problem was they had too much money.
    Apparently, now that there was no carnage, actually they haven't much money.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yay its friday! Rag week is over,all the out of control students are going home to wash the crust out of their onesies..end of thread yes? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

elefant wrote: »
    The problem was they had too much money.
    Apparently, now that there was no carnage, actually they haven't much money.

:pac:

You're right, it is hard to keep up with these first world complainants in fairness.

Jesus, you sound like one bitter person. I was born in the 80's so by your logic I'd be one of those "celtic tiger raised brats" you refer to. Yet from the the age of 16 right up until the Christmas of my Final year in college I held down a part time job working every weekend and every summer. Sure I went out and I drank plenty while in college but I struggle to see how Im a celtic tiger brat? And I know this was the cases for loads of others who were in college at the same time as me. But well done on tarring everyone with the same brush. :rolleyes:

And its laughable how low some people will go to take a swipe at the students. Most were well behaved this year. And it must be heartbreaking for some as they have nothing to complain about now. So since there was no major disturbances reported it's because nobody has any money this year? :confused: Looked like that at the hole in wall on Tuesday. A few here just seem desperate to have a go at the students if you ask me.

You seem to have a real persecution complex. I need to reiterate my point are general statements so stop acting as if they are a personal attach on you! I was not designating everyone of a specific era as a brat, but there is certainly at least a minority of people who had increased sense of entitlement and obnoxiousness. Most people were fine based on my college experience but there was some prats about who believed the world revolved around them and this level of obnoxiousness certainly seemed to peak a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

You seem to have a real persecution complex. I need to reiterate my point are general statements so stop acting as if they are a personal attach on you! I was not designating everyone of a specific era as a brat, but there is certainly at least a minority of people who had increased sense of entitlement and obnoxiousness. Most people were fine based on my college experience but there was some prats about who believed the world revolved around them and this level of obnoxiousness certainly seemed to be a few years ago.

At least a minority? Why are up giving out so much about them if they are a small minority? :confused:

I have gone through the college system and I would have loved to have one out a few nights this week, but I couldn't because of work.

I agree with another poster and those posts sound very bitter.

jenno86 wrote: »
    At least a minority? Why are up giving out so much about them if they are a small minority? :confused:

I have gone through the college system and I would have loved to have one out a few nights this week, but I couldn't because of work.

I agree with another poster and those posts sound very bitter.

A minority brought this country to it's economic knees and almost everyone incessantly complains about that minority without an issue. I don't see anywhere is society that people are arguing that we shouldn't complain about the minority that crippled the country because they are just a minority. There is a real sense of "lets complain about everyone else" but act outraged if anyone complains my group mentality in this nation. Ireland is essentially a group of various minority bundled together to create a majority that is never quite satisfied. We all do it myself included and to deny this is to be disingenuous

If you deem it to be bitter to point out that a cohort of self entitled obnoxious youth and adults were cultivated during the celtic tiger then that is your perogitive but imo the only people who would deny that the self entitled group ever existed or react negatively to such a suggestion were most likely part of that group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A minority brought this country to it's economic knees and almost everyone incessantly complains about that minority without an issue. I don't see anywhere is society that people are arguing that we shouldn't complain about the minority that crippled the country because they are just a minority. There is a real sense of "lets complain about everyone else" but act outraged if anyone complains my group mentality in this nation. Ireland is essentially a group of various minority bundled together to create a majority that is never quite satisfied. We all do it myself included and to deny this is to be disingenuous

If you deem it to be bitter to point out that a cohort of self entitled obnoxious youth and adults were cultivated during the celtic tiger then that is your perogitive but imo the only people who would deny that the self entitled group ever existed or react negatively to such a suggestion were most likely part of that group

0.jpg

I seemed to have upset some people with discussion about the self entitled nature of celtic tiger cubs, i wonder why? Certainly the majority bias of such a discussion would fall in line with the expected demograph of boards so this is no suprise.

As it's such a sensitive topic i think i'll do some sensitive souls a favour and leave the entitlement discusssion alone afterall it's surely a complete coincidence that Rag week behaviour has improved throughout the course of the recession and the troubles peaked at the height of the bubble. :rolleyes:

Costs increased, fees increased, grants and incomes reduced - Rag Week troubles have reduced. I'm sure there is no correlation at all. :rolleyes:

The recession has humbled Irish society in general, not just students and is one of the glaring positives i can take from the last few years. Jobs are not a given anymore with any degree and required extra academic commitment to obtain unlike at the height of the boom.

Those who coast through college taking life for granted will most likely find themselves immigrating to Australia, Canada, etc, where they can continue to live the Rag Week lifestyle unless they are happy to take on a lower class of local job than they expected.

There are plenty i see going to and from college, attending lectures fully this week and even spending significant time in the library whilst their peers "blow of steam". Those are the people who will be the most sucessful in life and are making the sacrifices now. Those who are not making the real academic sacrifices now will pay the price in years to come with lower monetary available and a lesser lifestyle.

It goes without saying that those who booze their way heavily through college, seeing exams and class scheduling as a major inconvenience will not be the power brokers of tomorrow carry first class honours degree, unless enrolled in some p1ss easy and pointless arts degree like philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Nope, you've just embarrassed yourself with your agenda against students, which has been clear for all to see since you started posting in this thread.

First the grant is too generous, students have too much money, hence the chaos. Then, when there's no chaos, students haven't enough money and the recession has suddenly humbled us all and stopped students acting the b0ll0cks. Some people will just complain about anything, anything at all, and twist certain theories to try and prove their points. It's highly embarrassing, and makes fair and meaningful discussion impossible.

Long live RAG Week!

• Advertisement

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Nope, you've just embarrassed yourself with your agenda against students, which has been clear for all to see since you started posting in this thread.

First the grant is too generous, students have too much money, hence the chaos. Then, when there's no chaos, students haven't enough money and the recession has suddenly humbled us all and stopped students acting the b0ll0cks. Some people will just complain about anything, anything at all, and twist certain theories to try and prove their points. It's highly embarrassing, and makes fair and meaningful discussion impossible.

Long live RAG Week!

So in a debate by very definition of someone opposing you they are embarassing themselves. I am quite enjoying the debate and will admit there are valid points coming from the opposing side, but those points are supported unlike other opposition statements that consists whinging in frustration and making blankets statements that are unsupported.

Apparently posters here deem that someone who speaks negatively of anti-social behaviour during rag week is more embarrassing than the perpetrators of the behaviour in question - what this indicates is that some people lack the objectivity to understand how society in general would view the situation based on a large sample covering all demographics not just those linked closely to the actual discussion.

It's my own fault though for expecting regular intelligent rebuttals on a rag week thread, i'd nearly be better off discussing this in AH :eek:

I do need to reiterate for the umpteenth time that i do no have an agenda against the student body at large - only the dossers and time wasters who see academia as an inconvenience to their lives i.e. those whose primary purpose for college is to have fun and craic and relegate a good education and career as a non essential part of university.

To those that don't fall in this group i fully support and endorse them and not only that i commend them for not bowing to peer pressure to engage in stupidity, but it is evident that there are many on this thread that are not sure where they fall in this classification or else mistakenly think that all students want to party 24x7 at the expense of their futures. This is certainly not the case. The cream will always rise to the top but some people are happy to just float through life which is fine if that's your goal but i think it's a shame and wasted opportunity.

I look at all those graduates who have to immigrate and say to myself if that have excellent academic records and first class honours across the board they would have no issue finding employement and career opportunities in this country.

If you treat life as a joke and one big party you cannot justify feeling hard done by when you struggle to pay the bills.

I did sacrifice big time during my education but thankfully i have a great life ever since and with the freedom afforded to me by a good career can have as much fun as i desire these days so i would not change anything. I look at some of my peers who are waiting until the next payday to have a night out and i do not feel sorry for them at all as they over indulged in their early years and now pay the price.

Advertisement