Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub

Options
  • 17-02-2014 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what is your favourite pub in the city..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Preachers for good night time drinking.

An Bodhran for Day time and early evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

The Silver Goblet on Quaker Road, or BDSM on North Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

If its not a very busy night the mutton lane inn is I reckon hands down the best though I prefer to mix it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Dan Lowrey's for a quiet pint, Idle Hour for music, South County in Douglas when staying out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The Oval if you can get a seat :)

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »

Used to love the oval but not too fond of it since they did it up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

gotta agree with RoyMcC with Dan Lowrey's, lovely spot for a quiet one.
    I also like BDSM for something different and a pint of craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

An Bodhran for Day time and early evening as said above, anything later would be Counihans. anything later than that would be the Old Oak:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

During the summer I love going out the back of the Flying Enterprise during the day. There was times last summer I spent 5/6 hours out in the huge courtyard just happily sipping away in the scalding heat, great days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

Bacchus wrote: »

Second this...they play excellent music there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fionbarras - Unreal beer garden, sound staff, good music, a choice of craft beers and absurdly cheap food.

Moks - Old school working-class Cork pub with arguably the best pint of stout in the city.

Sin É - Great spot for afternoon pints, often with great music.

Corner House - As above but even better for music

HiB - an institution, albeit one run by a bloody lunatic

The Castle - absolute gem of a place. Great pint and always the best of craic to be had, although it can get a tad yuppified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Oval & Mutton Lane, though both are small and can get quite busy. Coughlans good too. Tom Barry's has one of the best beer gardens in Cork, but gets crazily busy any time it's sunny and warm. If it ever gets sunny and warm again.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fionbarras - Unreal beer garden, sound staff, good music, a choice of craft beers and absurdly cheap food.

Moks - Old school working-class Cork pub with arguably the best pint of stout in the city.

The Castle - absolute gem of a place. Great pint and always the best of craic to be had, although it can get a tad yuppified.

Id frequent all but Moks, where is it & for non stout ppl is it worth checking out?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Id frequent all but Moks, where is it & for non stout ppl is it worth checking out?

Moks is on the junction where the Bandon Road meets Barrack Street. It sells all the usual p*ss but is as old school as they come really, more so in clientele and atmosphere than décor. It's Jimmy Barry Murphy's local.

Honourable mention for pubs must also go to Coughlan's on Douglas Street. Bradley's used to be fantastic until Tom Barry took it over and ruined it with his hipster b*llocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Not been to this one, sounds right up my street. Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Great beergarden in Fionbarras alright. Good spot though I've only been a handful of times. Sin E is a great place too, great atmosphere in the place especially around Christmas.

Moks though :eek: Seriously? The 12 pubs challenge was the only time I was in there. The place is bare and had an atmosphere of fear about it. It looks like a boarded up house from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

who_me wrote: »
    Tom Barry's has one of the best beer gardens in Cork, but gets crazily busy any time it's sunny and warm. If it ever gets sunny and warm again.

I've went in there about 5 times and not once have I had a good experience, the staff are some of the worst I've encountered anywhere i've been in the world. I kept going back in to give it a chance cause the beer garden is nice but I remember the last time I went in the girl behind the bar basically said to me to f**k off while filling my pint. I walked out straight away wont be going back ever again.

Besides from that horrible place, anyone in and around the Turners Cross area should head to the Beer Garden, definitely my favourite spot at the moment. Its a perfect size and theres always a great atmosphere in there. I was in there last Monday evening to meet a friend for an hour and it was busier than most city centre pubs on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Staff surely cant be worse than counihans??

saw the owner smiling outside the door the other day, thought he was ill or something:cool:

Moks though Seriously? The 12 pubs challenge was the only time I was in there. The place is bare and had an atmosphere of fear about it. It looks like a boarded up house from the outside.

Moks is a local bar for local people, they lads probably aren't too enamoured with the 12 pubs brigade. I've been in there many a time and I love the place. It's the epitome of a Cork pub; a representation of the character that makes Town the great place it is, it's an unbroken link to the streak of originality that permeates Cork...

(rabble rabble, you get the idea. Great GAA tradition there too)

Also I actually like Tom Barry's. Obviously the staff there are a bit too cool for school but plenty of dacent pubs the world over have hipster bar-staff. I never had any hassle with any of them in there to be honest. Barry himself is a bit up his own hole but there are plenty of worse venues in town. The picnic set up outside is also the berries because you get to meet new people and have the craic. The stout in there is also top notch. The crossword on the table is also a great touch.

Anyway, this is a sh*t thread because now I'm homesick and want to stomp around town drinking Murphys.

:(

A few other ones:

The Silk Road of Benny - Basically all of McCabe's spots are good for a booze up really. I'm not a fan of the Bodega scene at all (used to do the door there) but Crane Lane, Mutton and the Oval are all undeniably fantastic spots. I really liked BDSM the last time I was home for Christmas, ended up getting manked all evening on expensive gin.

The Rock Bar - Used to be a bit of an institution, the former manager of the Classic has taken that over and is making a good fist of it. Convenient location for UCC heads with a spot of maturity.

The Fob and Gill - AKA the Rob and Kill. Me being a Mayfield head this place occupies a space in my heart. I did see someone getting their face striped outside there when I was 14 though.

The Cotton Ball - Mayfield pub. All the character of the Fob with less of the savage violence and criminal element.

Annie Macs - Another loveably decrepit sh*thole. Great beer garden (one of the best of any pub out that way). There's some saucy short-haired b*tch working there who's hilariously rude also.

An Spáilpín Fanach - Surprised nobody mentioned this. Fantastic music scene and can get ribald at the weekends. Patrick's Day is the best day for it, they stick a boiled pigs head up on the bar, delightful. For those of a creepy persuasion the gaff can also get full of young foreigners searching for the fabled "craic". Obviously you'll elect to show them the premier nightspots around town.

Long Island - House, kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Also I actually like Tom Barry's. Obviously the staff there are a bit too cool for school but plenty of dacent pubs the world over have hipster bar-staff. I never had any hassle with any of them in there to be honest. Barry himself is a bit up his own hole but there are plenty of worse venues in town. The picnic set up outside is also the berries because you get to meet new people and have the craic. The stout in there is also top notch. The crossword on the table is also a great touch.

Anyway, this is a sh*t thread because now I'm homesick and want to stomp around town drinking Murphys.

:(

A few other ones:

The Silk Road of Benny - Basically all of McCabe's spots are good for a booze up really. I'm not a fan of the Bodega scene at all (used to do the door there) but Crane Lane, Mutton and the Oval are all undeniably fantastic spots. I really liked BDSM the last time I was home for Christmas, ended up getting manked all evening on expensive gin.

The Rock Bar - Used to be a bit of an institution, the former manager of the Classic has taken that over and is making a good fist of it. Convenient location for UCC heads with a spot of maturity.

The Fob and Gill - AKA the Rob and Kill. Me being a Mayfield head this place occupies a space in my heart. I did see someone getting their face striped outside there when I was 14 though.

The Cotton Ball - Mayfield pub. All the character of the Fob with less of the savage violence and criminal element.

Annie Macs - Another loveably decrepit sh*thole. Great beer garden (one of the best of any pub out that way). There's some saucy short-haired b*tch working there who's hilariously rude also.

An Spáilpín Fanach - Surprised nobody mentioned this. Fantastic music scene and can get ribald at the weekends. Patrick's Day is the best day for it, they stick a boiled pigs head up on the bar, delightful. For those of a creepy persuasion the gaff can also get full of young foreigners searching for the fabled "craic". Obviously you'll elect to show them the premier nightspots around town.

Long Island - House, kid.

:eek: Is that what i think it is? as in stanley knife?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CHealy wrote: »

Besides from that horrible place, anyone in and around the Turners Cross area should head to the Beer Garden, definitely my favourite spot at the moment. Its a perfect size and theres always a great atmosphere in there. I was in there last Monday evening to meet a friend for an hour and it was busier than most city centre pubs on a Saturday.

Beer Garden is booming a long time. Monday nights they have darts & rings also have pool teams etc, a lot of live matchs baskets and baskets of free food for punters also

Is that what i think it is? as in stanley knife?

It was some variety of knife anyway. In fairness, I think Mayfield used to be worse for that sort of street violence in the 1990s than it is now.

Can't believe I also forgot Henchey's in St Luke's Cross. A fierce popular community pub frequented by a lot of artists and writers etc. You get a great mix of people in there; a good spot to wile away an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Tom Barry's.......SNIP...hipster bar-staff.

hmmm...seriously? Didnt realise hipster == ignorant.

Never had a problem with them myself but seen them be downright rude for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ludo wrote: »
    hmmm...seriously? Didnt realise hipster == ignorant.

Never had a problem with them myself but seen them be downright rude for no reason.

I'll never understand how bar staff can get away with being rude to customers anywhere. It's one thing for banter with regulars and just not putting up with sh1t new customers. But the things you hear about Tom Barrys just make me sad. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Moks is on the junction where the Bandon Road meets Barrack Street. It sells all the usual p*ss but is as old school as they come really, more so in clientele and atmosphere than décor. It's Jimmy Barry Murphy's local.

Honourable mention for pubs must also go to Coughlan's on Douglas Street. Bradley's used to be fantastic until Tom Barry took it over and ruined it with his hipster b*llocks.

Bradley's isn't really hipster-loads of metal in there now. Love it. Gorgeous Beamish.

Fionnbarra's is another favourite, and of course the Franciscan Well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Got to agree re Tom Barrys staff. I've never had an issue, but seen them be so ridiculously rude to people and refusing to serve fellas for no reason.

Most recently 2 fellas came in the door and they were laughing about something. Both late 30s Id say, and certainly to me didnt look drunk - your one just looks up "another time ya lads" and that was that.

Bradley's isn't really hipster-loads of metal in there now. Love it. Gorgeous Beamish.

Errah, it was better when you could 4 pints of p*ssy lager for €10, he sold naggins you could drink in the pub and there was a dying dog in the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I heard this from lad who was deadly serious. Apparently he be watching punters in a camera and anyone who acts eejit gets thrown out.

Now never seen this man in action but can only go on what been told.

Advertisement