Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

gimmick wrote: »
    Most recently 2 fellas came in the door and they were laughing about something. Both late 30s Id say, and certainly to me didnt look drunk - your one just looks up "another time ya lads" and that was that.

When you are over 20 and have to check yourself before you go upto or in the door of an establishment, you're going to the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I heard this from lad who was deadly serious. Apparently he be watching punters in a camera and anyone who acts eejit gets thrown out.

Now never seen this man in action but can only go on what been told.

As far as I know he retired a good few years ago and his daughter runs it now. I go maybe three times a year and havent seen anything weird in a long time. Perhaps people are better trained though, you wouldnt see many using mobile's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Balmed Out wrote: »
    As far as I know he retired a good few years ago and his daughter runs it now. I go maybe three times a year and havent seen anything weird in a long time. Perhaps people are better trained though, you wouldnt see many using mobile's.

I've often gone in there if I arrive early into town and before I'm due to meet friends I'll pop in for a pint on my own. I often sit at the bar and listen to the goings on. I've even managed a sneaky look at my phone for texts but certainly not making calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah yes Mobiles another thing the guy who knew him was talking about.

Another mate had his phone texting when other guy told him to put it away or we get chucked out.

We both thought he was out of his mind.

So it is true

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

FTA69 wrote: »
    ...HiB - an institution, albeit one run by a bloody lunatic...

Formerly, yes. Possibly the coolest bar in the City. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Re the Hi B. I hate the place for what its worth. hate the whole "legend" of the place. Anyway, was going in there a few years ago with a buddy on a Sunday afternoon. The buddy went before me and the door was slightly stiff so he had to give it a bit of a shoulder to open it. There was no-one there apart from Brian (the owner. Think that's his name anyway). The buddy asked "sorry, are you open?" to which Brian replied - "The door is open isn't it, do you think I am standing here for fun? Do you have any more ASSININE questions for me or do you want to leave?". As young 23 year olds we took the abuse and went in for a few. Kind of amused by it in truth. Not sure id find the funny side now though..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Brian is actually a nutcase like. The two occasions I've witnessed him go cracked were absolutely surreal. The first involved him showing a world cup game and then turning it off half way through because he didn't like it. The second involved him refusing to serve someone as he didn't like the book he was reading the week before.

Only a few weeks ago he was in there holding court when some drunk tried to attack him and my buddy had to physically intervene. I would have paid to see it. Have a look at the reviews of the place on TripAdvisor, it's gas.

An example:
    “a horrible place that should be shut down”

1 of 5 stars
    Reviewed 4 February 2012

i and my friends had a most awful night in this place. the owner, who is some sort of local character is in my opinion completly unsuitable to be in the company of people. without any reason 2 of my friends were told to leave the pub and never to come back. he muttered abusive remarks about us and built up an unprovoked anger. suddenly without warning he grabbed me by my hair and shock my head. thank god for the stranger at the bar who took the owner off me. this incedent was and is very traumatic for me. i was in the company of 2 pharmacists and 2 doctors, not that it should matter. we were sober, respectful. my friends were also horrified by the attack. on speaking to the guards afterwards i was told that this was not the first incident of assault to have occur in the premises. i am still quite shaken from my ordeal.

Visited January 2012

Also while we're on the topic of boozers,

Costigans - one of the best places in town to watch a match, grand pint and generally a choice venue.

Also the Long Valley. Have ye ever had a spiced beef sandwich out of there? I've often ducked in for a swift stout and sandwich after building up a hunger inside in the HiB. Another institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

never got the Hib was in there a few times and just thought they were rude and it stank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gimmick wrote: »
    Re the Hi B. I hate the place for what its worth. hate the whole "legend" of the place. Anyway, was going in there a few years ago with a buddy on a Sunday afternoon. The buddy went before me and the door was slightly stiff so he had to give it a bit of a shoulder to open it. There was no-one there apart from Brian (the owner. Think that's his name anyway). The buddy asked "sorry, are you open?" to which Brian replied - "The door is open isn't it, do you think I am standing here for fun? Do you have any more ASSININE questions for me or do you want to leave?". As young 23 year olds we took the abuse and went in for a few. Kind of amused by it in truth. Not sure id find the funny side now though..

It's a hole of a bar and the toilets are disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

It's a hole of a bar and the toilets are disgusting.

The Hi-B is dacent. I never understood why people crib about toilets in bars. Sure some of the best boozers in the world have jacks that look like Khmer Rouge death camps.

Phoenix wrote: »
    No love for the Sober Lane?

I go there quite regularly, but the place has gotten insanely popular. So unless you are there early not a hope of a seat or a ledge.

Great spot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I was down in Cork with a few lads from Dublin a few years ago, the weekend Ireland played England in Croke Park for the first time.

Someone had gone for a poo behind the toilet and who I can only guess was a regular brought the barmaid down to take a look.

She was offering him a free pint to clean it up. He took it and 5 mins later came back up to the bar with a pair of marigolds on and a plastic bag full of sh!te.

The barmaid was screaming at him to chuck it into a bin outside.

No one was watching the game, one of the best rugby matches ever. They were all glued to the goings on.

It's not my favourite pub and I've only been there a few times in the last few years. It's a bit of an experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Milly33 wrote: »
    never got the Hib was in there a few times and just thought they were rude and it stank

+1 Zero attraction whatsoever. Brian should have got a few slaps years ago - might have softened his cough.

Regarding Tom Barrys: I've been in there loads of times and have never seen the staff being rude to anyone. If anything, I find them overly familiar and cloyingly "nice". Great spot though (music, ambience, clientele) and handy that everyone (smokers and non-smokers) can sit together in the beer garden and chat without the never-ending traffic in and out of the smoking room. The beer is too expensive there though ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

How's The Abbey Bar (near St Finbarrs Cathedral) doing since it re-opened?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Another non-fan of the HiB here. I'd rather enjoy my pint in peace without worrying about being thrown out by some unpredictable gob****e.

Tom Barry's I have no particular grá towards, but there was a really lovely woman working behind the bar the last time i was there.

I keep meaning to try Coughlans.

Fionnbarras does have a great beer garden.

Sober lane is fun, but really, really busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

kcb wrote: »
    How's The Abbey Bar (near St Finbarrs Cathedral) doing since it re-opened?

I think that's doing ok.

As far as I know, the guy has a few quid in his pocket, so isn't pushed about getting the place packed or anything.

He only opens for a few hours in the evenings, and a bit longer on the weekends.

Hasn't been done up in years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The HiB is a joke. It's a tourist spot at this point. Most people are only there to see what a crazy guy gets up to. It's indulging an elderly, mentally ill man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

OK we got it people either love or hate HI-B, but back 2 the question,what do you think is the best pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

farmerjj wrote: »
    OK we got it people either love or hate HI-B, but back 2 the question,what do you think is the best pub?

Ok, serious response.

Hands down, The Oval. I'm a non smoker but preferred it in the smoking days.

Triangla wrote: »
    Ok, serious response.

Hands down, The Oval. I'm a non smoker but preferred it in the smoking days.
    I used to love it before yer man took it over and did it up. Seems a bit pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I used to love it before yer man took it over and did it up. Seems a bit pretentious.

Was class back in the day alright. Bit of a dive bar, ****e on the floor etc, was never really overly packed but its now just become another hispter joint. Still has the good music and its a nice pub and all but not really what it used to be.

Callanans was a grand ol spot as well until the hispters got hold off that too!
    Havent been in there in a while but ya couldnt beat 2.90 for a pint of beamish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The Franciscan Well on the North Mall. Great beer, decent price, good, changing variety. Big, lovely beer garden, as well - great especially in the summer - and a nice little indoor area. The festivals they have on February, Easter and the October Weekend are fantastic. Always an even bigger variety (think it's something like 25+ on tap). You rarely pay over a fiver for pints (usually only more if it's a high abv), so the price is decent enough.

The Bierhaus just up the road is a good second, I think. Good selection, as well. Loads of bottles, but they're usually quite expensive compared to what's on tap. Often have deals, like discount mid-week pints. They have a restaurant attached, the Bierhalle, but I've never seen what it's like.

The Abbot's Alehouse and the Porterhouse are two decent ones, as well.

I like the franciscan well but not completely mad about it. The bierhaus on a quiet night is a really great bar though, its been a while so ill have to call by some night.

The Franciscan is a tourist trap. Bierhaus is a far better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

I've left cork a few years back, spoilt for good pubs so ye are

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    They have a restaurant attached, the Bierhalle, but I've never seen what it's like.

There is no longer any business connection between The Bierhaus and Bierhalle.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

During my college years it was Cissy Youngs and the Lough Tavern (was a lovely pint of Murphys there).

In the city centre - every place was my favourite!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Was class back in the day alright. Bit of a dive bar, ****e on the floor etc, was never really overly packed but its now just become another hispter joint. Still has the good music and its a nice pub and all but not really what it used to be.

Callanans was a grand ol spot as well until the hispters got hold off that too!
    Havent been in there in a while but ya couldnt beat 2.90 for a pint of beamish.

"Twas a great pub when ya know NORMAL fellas drank there. Now it's full of people who wear different clothes to me and all the beards make me feel uncomfortable. I even suspect some of them are gaaaaayh! And the gaaayh beer they drink!! Industrially produced bland beer isn't good enough for them - they'd be looking for LOCAL beer. LOCAL ? Sure isn't Heineken PLC as local as you get boy! Now Robert is sound enough but he puts up with way too many of them hipster types - it all started when he put up curtains and dimmed the lighting - wrecked the place he did. I effing HATE hipsters cause I think that they think they're cooler than me" (when in reality they don't think about you at all and are probably glad that you left a lovely pub to them)

I find it endlessly amusing the way hipster has become such a pejorative term.
    What are you afraid of? Are your so called hipsters violent? aggressive? loud? rude? smelly? what is your fear? Or is just than many of them don't like sport the way real men should? I really would love to know what the actual problem people have when they bang on about "hipsters".

Advertisement