Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The best bar in Cork is one where I have my friends with me, easy access to the bar, and if a match is on then the TV can be viewed.

A few friends have a thing for the Oval, but last time I was there, there was a leak from the ceiling, right about where the toilets are located above. Mentioned it to a staff members as he passed and he didn't seem to care about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The best bar in Cork is one where I have my friends with me, easy access to the bar, and if a match is on then the TV can be viewed.

A few friends have a thing for the Oval, but last time I was there, there was a leak from the ceiling, right about where the toilets are located above. Mentioned it to a staff members as he passed and he didn't seem to care about it.

That leak has been happening every now and then for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The pub changed and the clinetelle changed. That clientelle is now the hipster crowd. If it was a scobe crowd I would have said scobe. Nothing pejorative about it. The fact is the hipster crowd is an amobea, its a growing entity, it will lay waste to your favourite pub and make it generic like everything else it gets its grubby little hipster hands on ! :P

I was there the one night when the ceiling fell in years ago. Mortar and clay everywhere, some old fella got covered in it. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    The pub changed and the clinetelle changed. That clientelle is now the hipster crowd. If it was a scobe crowd I would have said scobe. Nothing pejorative about it. The fact is the hipster crowd is an amobea, its a growing entity, it will lay waste to your favourite pub and make it generic like everything else it gets its grubby little hipster hands on ! :P

Ah that explains everything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I was there the one night when the ceiling fell in years ago. Mortar and clay everywhere, some old fella got covered in it. Good times.
    Adds character to the place :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭sporina

anyone know what the story is with 32 marlboro st? i went to go there last weekend and it was closed!!! love that bar!

Anyone know the story with a new pub going in by the side entrance (anne summers side) to the English Market ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I find it endlessly amusing the way hipster has become such a pejorative term.
    What are you afraid of? Are your so called hipsters violent? aggressive? loud? rude? smelly? what is your fear? Or is just than many of them don't like sport the way real men should? I really would love to know what the actual problem people have when they bang on about "hipsters".

People don't like hipsters because they're usually c*nts to be honest. That's the long and short of it.

That whole ridiculous subculture revolves around irony and scorn. Music can't be considered any good unless it's some wanky obscure sh*te. For people who profess to embrace individuality they're obsessed with the trappings of capitalism and all end up adopting the same arsehole-style of dress. One minute they're banging on about organic veganism and save the planet, the next they're raving about iPhones and the latest gadgets.

Personally if someone wants to dress like a limp-wristed ponce in skinny jeans or wax a Barnum and Baileys moustache or smoke stinking rollies I couldn't care less; if people want to look like pussies that's their own prerogative. What winds me up though, is when this is accompanied by a too-cool-for-school sense of superiority toward anyone who doesn't buy into their pseudo-intellectual, faux-artistic b*llocks.

So yes, in other words, having these w*nkers invade a pub is a tad annoying for some.

FTA69 wrote: »
    People don't like hipsters because they're usually c*nts to be honest. That's the long and short of it.

That whole ridiculous subculture revolves around irony and scorn. Music can't be considered any good unless it's some wanky obscure sh*te. For people who profess to embrace individuality they're obsessed with the trappings of capitalism and all end up adopting the same arsehole-style of dress. One minute they're banging on about organic veganism and save the planet, the next they're raving about iPhones and the latest gadgets.

Personally if someone wants to dress like a limp-wristed ponce in skinny jeans or wax a Barnum and Baileys moustache or smoke stinking rollies I couldn't care less; if people want to look like pussies that's their own prerogative. What winds me up though, is when this is accompanied by a too-cool-for-school sense of superiority toward anyone who doesn't buy into their pseudo-intellectual, faux-artistic b*llocks.

So yes, in other words, having these w*nkers invade a pub is a tad annoying for some.

You sound like a real man.
    Well done.
    (referring to people as limp- wristed ponces and pussies makes you especially manly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I do figure myself to be a rugged alpha male. Correct on all counts.

Incidentally I don't know what else you'd call someone who wears coloured skinny jeans and glasses with no lenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

FTA69 wrote: »
    People don't like hipsters because they're usually c*nts to be honest. That's the long and short of it

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Anyone know the story with a new pub going in by the side entrance (anne summers side) to the English Market ?

That's the back of the new Brog. It's got a kind of a beach bar vibe about it. The front is almost (if not already) finished.

Speaking of the HiB I was in there about 10 years ago on a quiet afternoon and there was a respectable looking retired couple sitting down. The old fella looked like he had parkinsons because his head was moving about a lot.

Anyway Brian went over to them and said "Lookit I'm not running a mental institution here, would ye please finish your drinks and leave".

I was agog :-0

chakotha wrote: »
    That's the back of the new Brog. It's got a kind of a beach bar vibe about it. The front is almost (if not already) finished.

No this one is down the side street where Gamestop is, directly across from Anne Summers. Passed it this morning, looks like some kind of pub is going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

No this one is down the side street where Gamestop is, directly across from Anne Summers. Passed it this morning, looks like some kind of pub is going in there.

Oh, didn't read properly - haven't heard anything about that yet.

Used that be Billy Morgan's or something - I thought The Streat cafe was there now?

Used that be Billy Morgan's or something - I thought The Streat cafe was there now?

No thats another few streets down by John Graces. This is right beside the english market. Think this place used to be a a Kinsale shop or something.

No thats another few streets down by John Graces. This is right beside the english market. Think this place used to be a a Kinsale shop or something.

Just passed a while ago. While it does have a look of a pub about it, there is nothing to say that it will be a pub. I'm curious to know what is going to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Just passed a while ago. While it does have a look of a pub about it, there is nothing to say that it will be a pub. I'm curious to know what is going to be there.

It just looks like an empty jewellers. Which is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Is there anything to be said for the old oak? I know, most peoples pubs here have been the older ones which are a dying breed but, as a bog standard pub, the oak has nice staff, reasonable prices, decent door staff, fairly mixed crowd and regularly good bands.

Or perhaps I'm just showing my age !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Is there anything to be said for the old oak? I know, most peoples pubs here have been the older ones which are a dying breed but, as a bog standard pub, the oak has nice staff, reasonable prices, decent door staff, fairly mixed crowd and regularly good bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

I like Old Oak, as you said, completely unpretentious and have always found it to be friendly.

Being from Belfast and here just over a year, have to say I've really taken to the Cork pubs in general, great place here.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Has Callanans closed down? I've walked past it a few times and it seems to never be open?

yenom wrote: »
    Has Callanans closed down? I've walked past it a few times and it seems to never be open?

It doesn't open til around 7

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

It doesn't open til around 7

Ah, I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

SeaFields wrote: »

There's a nasty step in the floor of the O.O. about 10 ft from the front door that every second person trips over, amused ourselves watching people stumble over it one night. Don't know why the hell its there!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gary10

excellent post, good to see there's some people who talk some sense in this town left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

There's a nasty step in the floor of the O.O. about 10 ft from the front door that every second person trips over,amused ourselves watching people stumble over it one night. Don't know why the hell its there!

Question asked, and answered. ;)

Advertisement