Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice ultrasonic repeller

• 17-02-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

We have a quite large garage and we found out that it's infested with mice, field mice.
    We have found many traces of faeces and the smell of mouse urine is quite strong.
    We got one of them with a non-killing trap and at least two have been seen running along the walls. We think that the population is pretty high, but don't want to use poisons, we don't want to harm them, just get rid of them.
    We'd like to use some repellers and I was thinking of those ultrasonic things that should make them flee.
    Do you have any comment about those devices? Do they work? Is there a model more effective than others?
    Any other idea to humanely get rid of them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've used them and I think it did work. I got one of the ones where you change the frequency every couple of weeks, and used it after I'd cleared the place out with traps. Others have found them useless though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

the sonic ones don't work,fill up the holes where they get in
    have you pets they love pet food,you have to clean the garage of bos etc where they can hide,cut off water and food
    poison is the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I didnt find the ultrasonic repeller any good. I had a trap beside where it was plugged in and a mouse walked into the trap beside it. I brought it back for a refund.
    I think you have to plug them in before mice come in, they don't make mice flee, they are supposed to stop them entering in the first place.

I think you are fighting a losing battle using the humane traps, especially in a garage, they are just going to keep going back in.

Apparently once you have mice, you will have them every year unless you can find where they are getting in and block it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We have a quite large garage and we found out that it's infested with mice, field mice.
    We have found many traces of faeces and the smell of mouse urine is quite strong.
    We got one of them with a non-killing trap and at least two have been seen running along the walls. We think that the population is pretty high, but don't want to use poisons, we don't want to harm them, just get rid of them.
    We'd like to use some repellers and I was thinking of those ultrasonic things that should make them flee.
    Do you have any comment about those devices? Do they work? Is there a model more effective than others?

A few years ago I had a problem with mice. Found a website (can't remember name) to order ultrasonic thing but rang rang first for advice, the man said use the cheap wooden traps first then use ultrasonic think to prevent any new mice. He also said those "humane" traps are cruel! Supposedly mice come out when it is quiet (when we are asleep) the get caught in trap but it won't b emptied for 8 hours later by then mouse could of died from fright! I got this great ultrasonic thing that works with the wires in your house then individual plug in things for each room. His advice worked a treat for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

kylith wrote: »
    I've used them and I think it did work. I got one of the ones where you change the frequency every couple of weeks, and used it after I'd cleared the place out with traps. Others have found them useless though.

So, I should clear the garage first, and this is what we've been trying to do since November, but those little animals won't go into the traps :(
    Following this road might lead to a failure...
    the sonic ones don't work,fill up the holes where they get in
    have you pets they love pet food,you have to clean the garage of bos etc where they can hide,cut off water and food
    poison is the best

Unfortunately it's impossible to block the access gaps. I think they crawl under the door of the garage. It's a sliding door, so it has a rail and between the rail and the door there's a gap of about 2 cm.
    There's no water inside, unless I park the car when it's raining and so rainwater pools remains on the floor. I wonder where they can find water otherwise. Food, there's some non-perishable food, that my wife thought to store there. We're trying to move it away to inside the house or to put it into sealed plastic containers, but it could be a long process before they realize that the garage is not good anymore for them.

Thanks to both!

• Advertisement

I didnt find the ultrasonic repeller any good. I had a trap beside where it was plugged in and a mouse walked into the trap beside it. I brought it back for a refund.
    I think you have to plug them in before mice come in, they don't make mice flee, they are supposed to stop them entering in the first place.

I think you are fighting a losing battle using the humane traps, especially in a garage, they are just going to keep going back in.

Apparently once you have mice, you will have them every year unless you can find where they are getting in and block it up.

Our aim at the moment is to make the environment less welcoming for them by removing everything that they use as food. Once all that is food is removed they should leave.
    What I have read is that killing mice doesn't mean getting rid of them, because when some of them die there will be a temporary surplus of food and this will push the few survivors to give birth to more mice.
    It seems that the best way would be make them go away.
    Unfortunately I can't block the points of access, because tha garage has a sliding door and there's a gap of 2 cm or a bit less between the door and the rail on the ground. There are no other passages, so they can only get in through there.

Millem wrote: »
    A few years ago I had a problem with mice. Found a website (can't remember name) to order ultrasonic thing but rang rang first for advice, the man said use the cheap wooden traps first then use ultrasonic think to prevent any new mice. He also said those "humane" traps are cruel! Supposedly mice come out when it is quiet (when we are asleep) the get caught in trap but it won't b emptied for 8 hours later by then mouse could of died from fright! I got this great ultrasonic thing that works with the wires in your house then individual plug in things for each room. His advice worked a treat for me

The humane traps we have come with instructions that say to check the trap every about three hours, because if the mouse gets trapped in it, it could die from fright or cold and also suggest to put the trap onto a "warm" material, like thick cardboard or wood, in order not to make the mouse feel the cold of the floor. And this is what we're doing, but so far we only got one of them, it seems that the others have learned that those things must be avoided at all costs.

Thanks for your useful contribution and experiences.

I also found some websites that say that good repellers are the cat litter where a cat has already peed in it and cotton balls or pads soaked with peppermint oil.
    The first should tell them that a cat is around.
    The second seems to be an unbearable smell for them.

When you get them in the humane traps where do you release them? You need to go about a kilometer or they'll just head straight back in again.

When you get them in the humane traps where do you release them? You need to go about a kilometer or they'll just head straight back in again.

Once I get them in the trap I'll release far from home, in one of the many fields around the area. I live in the outskirts of my town, the nothing begins about 200 metres from my home :)

Once I get them in the trap I'll release far from home, in one of the many fields around the area. I live in the outskirts of my town, the nothing begins about 200 metres from my home :)

Well they probably won't make it back to your house so. Just on the cage traps; some say that the mice will die of hunger and exposure as they've been moved out of their territory, so if you're using them out of ethical reasons you may want to be aware of that. Personally I'd clear the place out using snap traps, then use the sonic to try keep them out.

• Advertisement

some say that the mice will die of hunger and exposure as they've been moved out of their territory, so if you're using them out of ethical reasons you may want to be aware of that.

What I know is that mice have a strong survival instict and ability to adapt to new situations and environments. I rely on those abilities.
    Personally I'd clear the place out using snap traps, then use the sonic to try keep them out.

My mind and my heart refuse to use snap traps, poisons and glues...

What I know is that mice have a strong survival instict and ability to adapt to new situations and environments. I rely on those abilities.

My mind and my heart refuse to use snap traps, poisons and glues...

I'd never use poisons or glues, but with a properly set snap trap death is instantaneous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Used cat litter worked a treat for my parents, and keeps them away. (the mice not my parents) We have a few cats at home so when changing the litter up out it into plastic milk containers. That makes it easy and clean to transport. When my parents out it out in the shed they take the lid off and out a few holes in the side of the container to let the air flow. They still get the some the odd time but it's not a big problem for them.

I'd never use poisons or glues, but with a properly set snap trap death is instantaneous.

:eek:

Used cat litter worked a treat for my parents, and keeps them away. (the mice not my parents) We have a few cats at home so when changing the litter up out it into plastic milk containers. That makes it easy and clean to transport. When my parents out it out in the shed they take the lid off and out a few holes in the side of the container to let the air flow. They still get the some the odd time but it's not a big problem for them.

Yeah, I could try with used cat litter placed in plastic containers and spread them in the garage, in corners, shelves and wherever I found traces of them mice.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I got one of these repellers from Amazon, it totally solved my problem 100%

One week i forgot I had turned it off after being on for a year and the little feckers came back, couldnt believe it! Turned back on and never saw them again.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

I got one of these repellers from Amazon, it totally solved my problem 100%

One week i forgot I had turned it off after being on for a year and the little feckers came back, couldnt believe it! Turned back on and never saw them again.

So, once turned on it cannot be turned off anymore?
    Well, that wouldn't be a problem, just asking ;)

So, once turned on it cannot be turned off anymore?
    Well, that wouldn't be a problem, just asking ;)

lol, I painted the wall and forgot i had turned the switch off. On for a whole year and the moment it was off within a week I had one in an old trap i had left set.

It defo worked for me.

lol, I painted the wall and forgot i had turned the switch off. On for a whole year and the moment it was off within a week I had one in an old trap i had left set.

It defo worked for me.

Do you remember brand and model of your device?

Do you remember brand and model of your device?

PestBye Advanced Whole House Rat and Mouse Repeller

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Advanced-Whole-House-Repeller/dp/B005GKCFV6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392900033&sr=8-2&keywords=mice+repellent

There are many settings on the unit and its important to get them right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

From my experience two things happen:

1) The noise is annoying. My Dad had loads of these things plugged in around the house when I moved back and there was a tiny little buzzing that I could hear ALL THE TIME. It was so irritating. I have ears like a bat for that kind of noise though.

2) They don't really work. I had a hamster in the house and I was worried that the noise would drive her mental. There was literally zero change in her behaviour, which lead me to think that they don't work.

PestBye Advanced Whole House Rat and Mouse Repeller

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Advanced-Whole-House-Repeller/dp/B005GKCFV6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392900033&sr=8-2&keywords=mice+repellent

There are many settings on the unit and its important to get them right.

Thanks so much!
    I could order one of these, but I'll have to fix the issue with the plug, our sockets are different than yours, but that's a minor problem ;)

From my experience two things happen:

1) The noise is annoying. My Dad had loads of these things plugged in around the house when I moved back and there was a tiny little buzzing that I could hear ALL THE TIME. It was so irritating. I have ears like a bat for that kind of noise though.

2) They don't really work. I had a hamster in the house and I was worried that the noise would drive her mental. There was literally zero change in her behaviour, which lead me to think that they don't work.

Thanks for your interesting opinion!
    Once I bought an ultrasonic pocket device that should have kept mosquitoes away. Not only it didn't work for insects, but I did hear the high pitch sound and that was a bit annoying.
    About the quality of the performance, though, I don't know... users are equally split in two halves, those who say that it solved their problem for good, and those who say that it was wasted money.
    Anyway, it's just about 25 euro, so it's not a great loss ;)

Advertisement