Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muzzle for Rottweiler

• 17-02-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Despite my rottie being very friendly and having never even fought with another dog we keep him muzzled while out on walks. (More out of fear that he will react if a smaller dog attacked him).

Currently have him in a caged muzzle, which looks horrible but allows him to open his mouth. He would panic if he couldn't.
    Got talking to a man whilst walking him the other day who recommended another muzzle and lead he said was better for rottweilers as it stops them from pulling so hard and looks less frightening... Can't remember what he said it was called. Anyone any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Was it a dogmatic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Was it one of these. http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Ha snap andreac great minds. I use one on my retriever and find it brillant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Those headcollar-type leads are not muzzles op. They will not fulfil your desired purpose of stopping him from biting a small dog. Moreover, the law states that RBs must be effectively muzzled, which they're not whilst wearing the Dogmatic, Halti Headcollar, GenCon, Canny Collar, nor any other version of headcollar.
    If you're using the usual beige-y couleted basket muzzle on your Rottie, perhaps opt for a black one instead? They're not as obvious ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maybe one of these muzzle loops...but if your dog is comfortable in the basket muzzle I'd forget how it looks and just use that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If you didn't want people to think your dog looks intimidating, how about making him a duck? :P

http://www.thefoxisblack.com/2013/01/11/adorable-duck-bill-dog-muzzles-by-oppo/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Was it one of these. http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

I use this on my guy, its only a head collar and not a muzzle

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Grayfoxy

Does anyone know what the definition of a muzzle is? Just curious if you could get away with having that if a dog warden approached.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Grayfoxy wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the definition of a muzzle is? Just curious if you could get away with having that if a dog warden approached.

The law states that it must be an effective muzzle.
    So, if a dog has a piece of gear on and still manages to bite someone, it's not an effective muzzle. So realistically, the only designs that can be considered effective are the basket style muzzle, or the tubular type that covers the entire snout, but the latter is an absolute non-runner for when a dog is exercising, as they cannot pant in them. They're only appropriate for short visits to the vet or the like.
    So, for when you're out and about, the only legally compliant, dog-safe muzzle is the basket style muzzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

cocker5 wrote: »
    I use this on my guy, its only a head collar and not a muzzle

:D

Have used it on my Lab for over a year. Best buy ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

It was indeed the dogmatic! Disappointed it's only a head collar. He'd gotten hold of his basket one and chewed through it so I was only planning to change because I was buying a new one anyway. Got one of them mesh ones, he can open his mouth a small bit in it but not enough for my liking so just gonna go back to the basket ones!

While I have ya's here, I have him just on a normal collar and lead, but he's been doing a bit of chewing on the lead so it's a bit shabby looking, gonna get him a new one as well. Am I better to go for a halti type collar to stop him pulling so much? Or can they even be worn when he has the basket muzzle on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

emz8 wrote: »
    It was indeed the dogmatic! Disappointed it's only a head collar. He'd gotten hold of his basket one and chewed through it so I was only planning to change because I was buying a new one anyway. Got one of them mesh ones, he can open his mouth a small bit in it but not enough for my liking so just gonna go back to the basket ones!

While I have ya's here, I have him just on a normal collar and lead, but he's been doing a bit of chewing on the lead so it's a bit shabby looking, gonna get him a new one as well. Am I better to go for a halti type collar to stop him pulling so much? Or can they even be worn when he has the basket muzzle on?

A front attach harness like the easywalk will give you much better control over pulling. When the dog pulls they can't generate forward motion all that easily as they are attached from the front. And unlike the halti head harness there's no training or acclimatisation needed, once it's fitted properly you pop it on and go :)

http://www.friendsoffido.co.uk/easy-walk-harness-large-i20.html

Advertisement