Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 laptop slow wifi

Options
  • 17-02-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I recently purchased a Toshiba C50D-A-136 Laptop running Windows 8.1, a present for my son.

There is a problem connecting to broadband via wifi, I am on 20MB download package but a speedtest shows I am only getting 2/3MBs, while my 6 year old Dell can get 14/15Mbs.

Any idea on solution please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It isn't horizon by any chance is it? Horizon boxes aren't compatible with newer computers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Have you tried connecting it via ethernet cable to isolate an issue other than the wireless adapter?

Have you tried updating the drivers for the wireless card?

I assume this is near the wireless access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bjp1967

GarIT wrote: »
    It isn't horizon by any chance is it? Horizon boxes aren't compatible with newer computers.

No not Horizon,

Mr. G wrote: »
    Have you tried connecting it via ethernet cable to isolate an issue other than the wireless adapter?

Have you tried updating the drivers for the wireless card?

I assume this is near the wireless access point.

No, Will try connecting via cable, have tested in same room as router (Hauwei)

I am not overtly technical, so not sure how to go about updating driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What kinda wifi router are you using?

• Advertisement

It is a Huawei HG658c on Vodafone network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

have you tried turning off all other wifi devices then testing it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

try connecting directly to modem,do a speed test

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bjp1967 wrote: »
    I am not overtly technical, so not sure how to go about updating driver

Windows 8.0:

Press [Win]+W. Type 'Update'. Select 'Install Optional Updates.' It will have an icon with two revolving green arrows. Check for new updates and install all required and optional. Reboot. Repeat after reboot until no updates remain.

Windows 8.1, same as above, except the option will show up on the sidebar-search simply as "Windows Update" and have an icon with two revolving green arrows (not the many choices which have a cogwheel).

Driver updates will appear and install along with other system updates using this method.

Done a driver update and much improved, not as good as old laptop, but much unproved none the less.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement