Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat behaviour - before and after neuturing

• 17-02-2014 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got 3 cats in the back garden that managed to settle down, mainly due to kids too...On my street, there are at least 7 wild cats that I can recognise at any moment of the day.
    The "my" three cats one of them is friendly, comes inside trough all the possible open doors and windows. The other two are less friendly and sometime they make strange noise that I guess means stay away...
    The "mother" I guess is about 2-3 years while youngers are around 7 months.

I want to do less damage to cats while stopping the natural cycle of getting more kittens on the garden or road. Also, night time I guess they fight for territory and I had enough with their long silly noises. Maybe they are getting "hot" and cycle begins now ??
    Spoke to DSPCA and they gave me two cat traps which I'm going to install in the garden, trap the cats, bring to them and neuter all three .Paid deposit 80 and 25 for the operation.

My questions are:

After bringing them back, will they stop fighting, kicking and making strange noises ?
    Will they become aggressive to kids ?
    Will they become more friendly or aggressive with other cats in the area !?
    What about other cats, if ill catch them in the trap and they are not mine...can I bring them for neutering ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

I'm no expert, but I just wanted to say that you're doing the right thing by getting these cats neutered. If only everyone did what you're doing!
    To try and answer your questions:

1: The behaviour should definitely decrese, if not disappear
    2: This I highly doubt, in fact you should expect them to be friendlier, and more mellow.
    3: I wouldn't go so far as to say friendly, but they should start to ignore other cats(they wouldn't have the urge to mate them(queens) or fight over territory (toms)
    4: Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

rolion wrote: »
    What about other cats, if ill catch them in the trap and they are not mine...can I bring them for neutering ?

I'd want to be really sure they were defo stray cats and not someone's pet before taking them to the vet for a general anaesthetic....

Re. aggression - i have a male and a female cat, both have been neutered. They're the neighbourhood wimps! There's a few intact males that hang around and my pair of dopes will literally hide behind my ankles if they see one out in the garden. If anything I think not having reproductive urges makes them more relaxed and a bit more playful as less energy is being expended on cat courting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Got 3 cats in the back garden that managed to settle down, mainly due to kids too...On my street, there are at least 7 wild cats that I can recognise at any moment of the day.
    The "my" three cats one of them is friendly, comes inside trough all the possible open doors and windows. The other two are less friendly and sometime they make strange noise that I guess means stay away...
    The "mother" I guess is about 2-3 years while youngers are around 7 months.

I want to do less damage to cats while stopping the natural cycle of getting more kittens on the garden or road. Also, night time I guess they fight for territory and I had enough with their long silly noises. Maybe they are getting "hot" and cycle begins now ??
    Spoke to DSPCA and they gave me two cat traps which I'm going to install in the garden, trap the cats, bring to them and neuter all three .Paid deposit 80 and 25 for the operation.

My questions are:

After bringing them back, will they stop fighting, kicking and making strange noises ?

Males after neutering should stop most of the testosterone fueled fighting which is probably the noises you hear. The females howl/call when in heat and when being mated so neutering those will put a stop to that.
    Will they become aggressive to kids ?

Neutering should have no effect on aggression towards humans/kids. If they're strays and your not sure of their temperment I wouldn't let yours kids try to pet them as they may lash out at them out of fear, cats don't like being cornered or pinned down and will scratch or bite in this situation if they are scared. Neutering will have no effect on this.
    Will they become more friendly or aggressive with other cats in the area !?

Males in particular after neutering it'l take a few months for testosterone levels to lower but once they do they should be less territorial and shouldn't get into fights with other intact males over females in heat.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the level of ownership. Some people will say they 'own' a cat but in reality this means they throw some food out for it once in a while, don't bother to neuter it and when it needs veterinary attention they suddenly start calling it a stray. You should probably ascertain if anyone is feeding or owns the other cats and talk to them about them. Ask around your neighbours before you do anything. What condition are they in? Do they look like strays? It can be hard to tell though and this is no guarantee that they are strays or pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks to all for reply.

I'm going to catch them tomorrow morning and then drop them to DSPCA.
    I may be able to get few photos...

Been told by the staff that the cat's ear will be chopped and that means that they have been neutered. Following on this, then if any caught cat in my garden trap AND they not having the chopped ear...means that is safe for me to pay the €25 to alleviate my road / estate cat rise issue.

Again, thanks to all !
    Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

You are a hero! I wish there were more people like you.

As others said, there will be a gradual decrease in nuisance behaviour (as per my experiences) but yeah I wouldn't let the kids near them unless the animal is domesticated and the owner says they are safe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement