Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical substation beside house

Options
  • 17-02-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone could share any wisdom on power supply sheds. There is a house I'm interested in but it's right beside an ESB power supply shed. Are there any implications of this being beside the house? In terms of health?? I know there is alot of publicity around masts and radiation. Would there be similar issues with the shed??
    TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

How big is the shed. There is one near us about 8 foot cube and while I can't hear it from the house there is some hum off it when within 6 feet of it.

Another thing is in a power failure you'll have ESB people banging around your house at what could be all hours of the day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

If its an esb transformer there will be some magnetic fields but no more than those coming from the wiring in your house. There wont be any ionizing radiation. The hum might be annoying but no bother with good insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Marchbride

ken wrote: »
    How big is the shed. There is one near us about 8 foot cube and while I can't hear it from the house there is some hum off it when within 6 feet of it.

Another thing is in a power failure you'll have ESB people banging around your house at what could be all hours of the day or night.

Thank you guys for the replies..
    Yes it looks roughly the same in measurements as you mentioned. My sister in law works in insulation so IF we did get it if interested I think that may be the solution around the noise. My dad had me freaked out re people developing brain tumours and scary health issues as a result of living close to power supplies. Asked him for his evidence of the same, of course he couldn't back it up! But did have me panicking.. So thank you so much for your replies :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I would not live next to one

if your selling it will be harder to sell

http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/library/downloads/emf-property-03-2013-01.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

despite all the blather in the press about the health risk from pylons, there is none - its been very heavily researched for decades and no link has been found.

The hum might be annoying and it might affect the resale value of the house (though presumably that would allow you to buy for less in the first place).

• Advertisement

I would not live next to one

if your selling it will be harder to sell

http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/library/downloads/emf-property-03-2013-01.pdf

Thank you so so much for that that was a very interesting read altogether and very informative moving forward. It's given me a lot to think about. It's a small shed and there is approx 6ft gap then d garage with d living rm next to it. But I don't know how interested I am now after reading that article :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Marchbride wrote: »
    Thank you so so much for that that was a very interesting read altogether and very informative moving forward. It's given me a lot to think about. It's a small shed and there is approx 6ft gap then d garage with d living rm next to it. But I don't know how interested I am now after reading that article :-/

for balance, read this article: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/emf.html

you should be more worried about radon gas and general air pollution.

loyatemu wrote: »
    for balance, read this article: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/emf.html

you should be more worried about radon gas and general air pollution.

Thanks so much for that loyatemu :)
    I suppose the shed is something which one will have to argue against to get a good price for the house. Radon is all over the media recently, it's scary. Think what ever house I get I will be getting radon levels checked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Joksm

We were in similar situation and still buying the house, because it is in great area of the estate.

It is 20kv grey esb unit substation. The measurements were similar around all the estate, was no difference whether 3/4 metres beside the box or 50 metres away. The measurements were similar and within recommended limit.

In this case I don't think in any way this would affect the re-sale price. The hum noise cannot be heard from approx 2/3 metres unless you really try hard ��

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod

I suspect the OP already made their mind up at some point in the 5 years since the original post :)

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement