Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flying to US from dublin airport

Options
  • 17-02-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

leaving to san francisco at 1pm tomorrow. i just noticed that it says on the ticket that we must be at the gate before 11.15am or we will be refused entry. will this really happen if we are slightly late? we have already booked a bus from galway but looks like we wont make it to the airport until 11.30am

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

American entry officials are very strict. They will refuse entry for any breaking of rules. I wold be aiming to get to the airport a lot earlier than 11:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

leaving to san francisco at 1pm tomorrow. i just noticed that it says on the ticket that we must be at the gate before 11.15am or we will be refused entry. will this really happen if we are slightly late? we have already booked a bus from galway but looks like we wont make it to the airport until 11.30am

One and half hours is way too tight for transatlantic. You'll have to clear both US immigration and security either of which could take 45 mins. Flights like to be fully boarding 30-20 mins before departure time.

What are you thinking leaving Galway so late?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

didn't factor in the strictness of going through immigration on this side. not been in us in nearly 20 years. btw will it take long to go through immigration on the other side?

http://www.gobus.ie/timetable.php?map=3

05.45am is the bus you need to be on. 06.45 at the very latest to get to the desk at 10am.

Your travel insurance will not cover you for not leaving for the airport on time.

MadsL wrote: »
    One and half hours is way too tight for transatlantic. You'll have to clear both US immigration and security either of which could take 45 mins. Flights like to be fully boarding 30-20 mins before departure time.

What are you thinking leaving Galway so late?

thought we were leaving in loads of time!! good job we read the ticket. im just to used to flying with ryanair where you can breeze up to the gate 5 mins before departure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Did you not read the airline instructions. 3 hours is the minimum recommended check in window for a Trans Atlantic flight...90 minutes is nowhere near enough, as the other posters have pointed out. A replacement bus ticket is much cheaper than a replacement flight. Take an earlier bus, ideally two hours earlier.

didn't factor in the strictness of going through immigration on this side. not been in us in nearly 20 years. btw will it take long to go through immigration on the other side?

You clear US immigration in Ireland, other side you land as domestic.

That is why you need plenty of time at the airport. If you miss your flight because they want to question you further, tough titty.

http://www.gobus.ie/timetable.php?map=3

05.45am is the bus you need to be on. 06.45 at the very latest to get to the desk at 10am.

Your travel insurance will not cover you for not leaving for the airport on time.

we booked bus tickets for 8.30. d'ya think if we just rolled up with these tickets that we'll get on the early bus?

No immigration on arrival, all in Dublin pre-departure. You're treated as a domestic arrival on landing in the US.

thought we were leaving in loads of time!! good job we read the ticket. im just to used to flying with ryanair where you can breeze up to the gate 5 mins before departure

Ryanair, just the same as entering the US and clearing immigration...
    *facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

You go through US immigration IN DUBLIN AIRPORT. So you arrive at the domestic terminal in the US - you walk straight out onto the street.

Hence you have got to be there way earlier. TBH this was always the way. I'd usually be there four hours in advance but the minimum really is three. US Immigration will not hurry up for you.

we booked bus tickets for 8.30. d'ya think if we just rolled up with these tickets that we'll get on the early bus?

I think buying an extra ticket would be preferable to forking out for another $1000 flight.

Do you have your ESTA? (he asks with bated breath)

Ryanair, just the same as entering the US and clearing immigration...
    *facepalm*

yep

tbh i thought immigration was on the other side

I think buying an extra ticket would be preferable to forking out for another $1000 flight.

esta.......whats that?

kidding....its done :)

and API

Yes - ESTA too. And use the CORRECT site - not the hundred or so scam sites.

TBH OP - look and listen to the Video above...

esta.......whats that?

Go get yer bus...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Flying the exact same route later this summer - knew US Customs would be strict but 3-4 hrs before departure :eek: ... best of luck OP hopefully your plans workout.

yep

tbh i thought immigration was on the other side

It's not and to be honest even if it was, getting through security in Dublin airport and the additional security questions at check-in for a flight to the US you'd have been cutting it too tight at 90 minutes.

micosoft wrote: »
    Yes - ESTA too. And use the CORRECT site - not the hundred or so scam sites.

TBH OP - look and listen to the Video above...

it was the link on the aer lingus confirmation. must be legit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

try and get earlier

check in online on the computer then its a bag drop,put in your passport details

you go up in the lift once you check in to the gates in terminal 2

it takes about 15 minutes to walk to airport from coach park,30 minutes to check in,30 minutes to go through security,45 minutes to go through us passport control,about 10 minutes to go through another security control,then 5 minutes to walk through to your plane

buses usually arrive 10 minutes late

try and give yourself 2 hours

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Flying the exact same route later this summer - knew US Customs would be strict but 3-4 hrs before departure :eek: ... best of luck OP hopefully your plans workout.

booking bus tickets now. still have to pack!! not even booked a hotel yet

irishfeen wrote: »

It's sheer volume. A couple of thousand people board flights to the US between 6am and 2pm, there are only so many customs & immigration staff. Particularly in the summer I'd be aiming towards 4 hours as security in T2 can take 30-45 minutes if you don't use airport genie.

Getting there early and waiting around isn't a whole lot of fun, but it's a lot more fun and less stressful than potentially/actually missing your flight.

No sleep for you.

Book a hotel, immigration ask for a US address on the form.

it was the link on the aer lingus confirmation. must be legit

It probably is then - parents got stung last year because they googled it and clicked on the first link - looked real professional.

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's sheer volume. A couple of thousand people board flights to the US between 6am and 2pm, there are only so many customs & immigration staff. Particularly in the summer I'd be aiming towards 4 hours as security in T2 can take 30-45 minutes if you don't use airport genie.

Getting there early and waiting around isn't a whole lot of fun, but it's a lot more fun and less stressful than potentially/actually missing your flight.
    Jaysus we're heading over at the height of the summer (around the 4th July weekend) so I can just imagine the waiting - thanks for the info though lads.

As others have said I knew they look for an address so get booking mate!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You need way more time for immigration and security i was there recently at six thirty for a nine am flight queue quadrupled while i went through. You get photoed and fingerprinted too

getting 6.15 bus. arrives 9am. gives us 4 hours before dept.

btw....thanks for the info. this is our honeymoon. coulda been a disaster

• Advertisement

getting 6.15 bus. arrives 9am. gives us 4 hours before dept.
    That's the job, enjoy the "City by the Bay" ... btw is it NY or where are you stopping off out of interest?

Advertisement