Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flying to US from dublin airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Good news for the future...
    "his positive news regarding extra transatlantic capacity is further boosted by the confirmation that US Customs & Border Protection will pre-clear all US-bound flights from Dublin Airport to the United States this year."

Source: https://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-02-20/North_American_Traffic_Set_For_Another_Record_Year.aspx

People have no idea how lucky Dublin is to have this.
    op back

made it to dublin airport in heaps of time. got the 6.15 bus. airport wasn't busy at all. breezed through security and immigration. in fact there was very few people there for trans-atlantic flights. probably at other times of year you'd need to make it up that early but we definitely could have left galway later.

as for immigration they could not have been nicer, but that was probably due to it being so quiet. i'm sure if there were crowds of people lining up they'd get fed up

anyway, san francisco was class. weather here is unseasonably fantastic. there is actually a drought at the moment....good for me i suppose!! crossing the golden gate bridge was great but the ferry back was the highlight so far. the skyline at night was awesome!!

me and my wife are in monterey right now, hitting south on highway 1. anyone been....any tips? whats the best beach round here? i know shw is keen on visiting the hearst mansion/castle/estate. not sure about going to LA. there isn't really anything that is drawing me there. thinking about going to vegas, the hoover dam and the grand canyon before hitting back up north to san francisco, and maybe seeing the giant redwoods in muir woods and some of napa valley. dont think ten days is enough tho. would like to see the sequoias too. yosemite has always been somewhere i wanted to go too. so many things so little time!!!!!

oh ya....and we'd like to relax a bit too :)

what do i do???? any recommndations?

Need any honeymoon tips too...I was wondering about if you would start one. ;)

Hit up Santa Barbara, then head off on old Route 66 to Vegas.
    on second thought don't...your next post will be "stranded in Mojave with no gas"...tip: Never let your tank run more than half empty in the desert, never miss a chance to top up your tank. I once had to make a 120 mile retracing of my steps to get gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

MadsL wrote: »

Seriously. I remember coming through US immigration with my parents back before they had citizesnship, you'd be off a transatlantic and another three hours standing around for customs and immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Oh we do. I remember last year travelling while customs and immigration in the US were on a go slow. UK people I met up with on holidays had spent 5 hours queuing in Miami after getting off a 9 hour flight.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Remember when you went threw Immigration in the old Terminal 1?

You had a coffee stand and that was it. about 30 seats in total in the area for about 3-4 flights leaving around the same time. was horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Remember when you went threw Immigration in the old Terminal 1?

You had a coffee stand and that was it. about 30 seats in total in the area for about 3-4 flights leaving around the same time. was horrible!

TBH it isn't much better now!

small little cafe and barely enough seats at the busy times

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

TBH it isn't much better now!

small little cafe and barely enough seats at the busy times

Flew out in jan to the states, T2 is way more confortable, Free Wifi and at least some sort of choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

Need any honeymoon tips too...I was wondering about if you would start one. ;)

Hit up Santa Barbara, then head off on old Route 66 to Vegas.
    on second thought don't...your next post will be "stranded in Mojave with no gas"...tip: Never let your tank run more than half empty in the desert, never miss a chance to top up your tank. I once had to make a 120 mile retracing of my steps to get gas.

drove 420 miles today. got to vegas. booked the riviera for 3 nights for $150 total. im sure there are better hotels but for the price we paid it s a no brainer. room is clean and hotel a short walk from the main action

leaves us with 4 days to make it back to san francisco. should be plenty with some stops

i was on the 166 route but not the proper route 66. dont think that was on our route

funnily enough the first hotel quote i got in vegas, from the mgm, was $666 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

i was on the 166 route but not the proper route 66. dont think that was on our route

funnily enough the first hotel quote i got in vegas, from the mgm, was $666 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

For future reference, you should pick up a 5* strip hotel on Hotwire or Priceline for under $100 a night.

athtrasna wrote: »
    For future reference, you should pick up a 5* strip hotel on Hotwire or Priceline for under $100 a night.

never heard of them. noted for future reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

never heard of them. noted for future reference

They are two of the most well known and often used travel websites over on the other side of the pond. They aren't as well known over here. They don't let you book flights that originates outside the US (well, Priceline don't) so they probably aren't of much use to the Irish traveler, who wants to book flights and hotels on the same booking. But they are really great if you are looking for deals on hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

How much does the esta visa cost ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

$14

Only get it from https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

caycro wrote: »
    How much does the esta visa cost ?

It was $14 last year, and lasts 2 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Can you use the UK plugs on the United airlines plug sockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

owenc wrote: »
    Can you use the UK plugs on the United airlines plug sockets?

Bring an adaptor in your bag and if it's an American socket, you can just use it that way.

We booked our flights three weeks ago at just over £2,000 and its risen to £4,130. Rediculous!!

Only two seats left aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We booked our flights three weeks ago at just over £2,000 and its risen to £4,130. Rediculous!!

Not ridiculous, it's how airline pricing works. The sell a limited number of seats at a cheap price, then a limited number at a slightly more expensive price and so on. As seats book up they become more expensive. Be glad you got yours when you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Call the bus company. Both gobus and citylink are easy to deal with so I doubt that it'd be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Thats why its always good to keep an eye on flights when you know you'll be going on holidays. I once bought flights to NY for E300 and a couple of weeks later the same airline went up to almost E600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

You can travel across the atlantic for a reasonable enough price if you keep an eye on prices and are flexable with your dates and are booking a good bit in advance.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Not ridiculous, it's how airline pricing works. The sell a limited number of seats at a cheap price, then a limited number at a slightly more expensive price and so on. As seats book up they become more expensive. Be glad you got yours when you did.

Well it kind of is. £4,000 is alot of money.

But yeah we are definately lucky! Was very shocked to see how much it rose in three weeks.

Call the bus company. Both gobus and citylink are easy to deal with so I doubt that it'd be a problem

Eh?????????

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Thats why its always good to keep an eye on flights when you know you'll be going on holidays. I once bought flights to NY for E300 and a couple of weeks later the same airline went up to almost E600
    Ours rose from £550 to £1050 each.

Ours rose from £550 to £1050 each.

Yeah thats mad isn't it. When I know I'm going on holidays I'm obsessed with checking flights, I'll do it for months!! Always get a good bargain! Think of the person behind you that might have paid 500 extra for their seat!!!

Who are you flying with?

Well yeah I had to nag my parents because they wouldn't have booked it otherwise until like May and I know we'd never afford it.

Well United Airlines from Dublin. Never been to Dublin airport before and looking forward to America its been 7 years and I loved it!

Well yeah I had to nag my parents because they wouldn't have booked it otherwise until like May and I know we'd never afford it.

Well United Airlines from Dublin. Never been to Dublin airport before and looking forward to America its been 7 years and I loved it!

Dublin airport is fairly handy plus Orlando is something else. I've been twice and hopefully will go again

Is it? I've never been the last time we went to West Palm Beach looking on streetview it doesn't look as good. :/

We're going for five weeks so don't want to stay in Orlando the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Is it? I've never been the last time we went to West Palm Beach looking on streetview it doesn't look as good. :/

We're going for five weeks so don't want to stay in Orlando the whole time.

You'll see nothing in five weeks, need at least 3 months lad.

• Advertisement

Haha

Advertisement