Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone tried to poison my dogs

• 17-02-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

When I woke up this morning I found six chocolate coated objects in my back garden. On further inspection I realised that it was perhaps rat poison as when I cut into them they were blue in colour. I took them to my vet and he confirmed that it was rat poison and said that there was enough poison to kill every dog in the town. I called to the garda station and they were very helpful and took a statement and called out to all the neighbours to see if they saw anything. I have my suspicions about one of my neighbours and the garda seemed to confirm my suspicions after speaking to a few of the neighbours. I am at my wits end as im afaird it will happen again and this time my dogs might find the poison before I do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Oh god, that is horrifying. Can you avoid leaving your dogs out unsupervised? It's horrible to have to be looking over your shoulder, but it's better than the alternative right now.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

bring them to the guards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

yea it'll be one of your neighbours.
    now ask yourself why a neighbour would go to all that trouble?
    maybe it's a nutty neighbour.
    or maybe your dogs' behaviour are driving your neighbours over the edge and it's actually your fault, as the owner of the dogs?
    hope you get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

deandean wrote: »
    or maybe your dogs' behaviour are driving your neighbours over the edge and it's actually your fault, as the owner of the dogs?
    hope you get it sorted.

Very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Would anyone have any reason to harm your dogs? Do they bark a lot for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Jesus, that's sick!

Have you had problems with any of your neighbours, re dogs barking or anything like that? Constant barking can drive people absolutely crazy.

No excuse for it, though. Hopefully you can find out who did this and bring a prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

My neighbour that is directly behind me moved in only last year and he had an issue with them then but I never knew why, but only in the last couple of weeks when I see him out walking he always has a big wave for me which I thought was strange. As for my dogs barking they don't bark continuously and they are in early every evening so there is no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hughesga

I don't use boards.ie often at all but that's one of the maddest stories I've ever heard!

My two cents:

1. That was a ludicrous thing of the culprit to do, a young child could have even picked them up. Whoever done it probably isnt playing with the full deck which is actually very worrying.

2. Be careful about what you post online on this forum. Remember he or she could be reading these messages as you post them and that's probably not going to help matters.

Unfortunately I'm not old or wise enough to advise you what your best course of action would be.

Best of luck - must be a sick man or woman to have to resort to that behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Have you had problems with any of your neighbours, re dogs barking or anything like that? Constant barking can drive people absolutely crazy.
    My neighbour that is directly behind me moved in only last year and he had an issue with them then but I never knew why, but only in the last couple of weeks when I see him out walking he always has a big wave for me which I thought was strange. As for my dogs barking they don't bark continuously and they are in early every evening so there is no issue there.

There doesn't have to be anything wrong with the dogs, just something wrong with the neighbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oh my god this is horrific and my worst nightmare. Please keep your dogs where you can see them so that they don't end up eating anything suspect. I don't know what kind of depraved human would do this kind of thing, dogs bark, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Apart from the obvious never leave your dogs out unsupervised and check your garden before you let them outside each time, you could install a camera. You have to be careful not to point it at your neighbour's gardens, breach of privacy and all that, but it might be enough to deter your neighbour from trying it again.

Do you leave your dogs outside during the day while you go to work? Are you absolutely sure they don't bark or annoy anyone in any way? That's absolutely no excuse to poison a dog but it might give an explanation for your neighbour's drastic measure.

Can you keep them inside from now on? Or build/buy a dog run with a roof?

Is this neighbour renting do you know? Could you have a chat with their landlord if they are?

What issues did he have exactly? Do they bark a lot during the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Apart from the obvious never leave your dogs out unsupervised and check your garden before you let them outside each time,
    you could install a camera.
    You have to be careful not to point it at your neighbour's gardens, breach of privacy and all that, but it might be enough to deter your neighbour from trying it again.

Do you leave your dogs outside during the day while you go to work? Are you absolutely sure they don't bark or annoy anyone in any way? That's absolutely no excuse to poison a dog but it might give an explanation for your neighbour's drastic measure.

Can you keep them inside from now on? Or build/buy a dog run with a roof?

Is this neighbour renting do you know? Could you have a chat with their landlord if they are?

Very good point. I had to use a camera once and all the crap stopped after I surprised the yoke with knowledge of a stunt he'd pulled.

anna080 wrote: »
    Oh my god this is horrific and my worst nightmare. Please keep your dogs where you can see them so that they don't end up eating anything suspect. I don't know what kind of depraved human would do this kind of thing, dogs bark, get over it.

Not excusing this neighbour's disgusting behaviour, but dogs barking can be absolutely head wrecking for other people. It's noise pollution and dog owners can actually be brought to court over it.

I had a neighbour whose dogs barked almost constantly, day and night. It goes through your head like a drill and can seriously affect your ability to sleep. It's not just a matter of getting over it.

Not saying the OP's dogs were doing this, but it's one reason this particular creep may have decided to take such drastic measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

deandean wrote: »
    yea it'll be one of your neighbours.
    now ask yourself why a neighbour would go to all that trouble?
    maybe it's a nutty neighbour.
    hope you get it sorted.

Wow what a stupid statement to make deandean. Would you try and poison a child if they were crying too much?? jesus :eek:

OP that's a horrible situation I hope it all gets sorted asap, there are some really cruel people out there :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

OP. Would it be potential burglars?

There have been many rumours around my area in the past year or so, of dogs bein poisoned and the same houses being broken into. I haven't met anyone that it has actually happened to, but have heard of a few 2nd/3rd hand. Hence me calling them 'rumours'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

Jesus thats terrible.. thank god you found it when you did.

TBH i would call around to all my neighbours who border my garden as a curtieous call..

"BTW over the last few days someone through poison over my wall... you'd want to be careful and check your gardens just in case its in your too, etc just to be on the safe side" Id also say "the guards have advised me to install CCTV to catch the guy... ill be doing that this week"

That will let the culprit know your on to him (well kinda) do it as a friendly kinda neighbour way etc.. hopefully it will deter him / her from doing it again. If worse comes to worse buy a "fake" outdoor camera (most of them have a light up red button to show it "recording" €20 should do it), put it up out the back and scare the a*sehole off... thats what i would do anyway.

But if it were me I wouldnt do nothing

Thank god your dogs are ok though ;)

cocker5 wrote: »
    TBH i would call around to all my neighbours who border my garden as a curtieous call..

"BTW over the last few days someone through poison over my wall... you'd want to be careful and check your gardens just in case its in your too, etc just to be on the safe side" Id also say "the guards have advised me to install CCTV to catch the guy... ill be doing that this week"
    I think that's a great idea if you go to the neighbour behind you, and mention some imaginary children (a couple of nieces or nephews) that could have gotten a hold of it and died, along with how much of a scumbag the perpetrator must be. Some people think they have a right to go around the place doing whatever they like, without considering how wrong their actions could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I think that's a great idea if you go to the neighbour behind you, and mention some imaginary children (a couple of nieces or nephews) that could have gotten a hold of it and died, along with how much of a scumbag the perpetrator must be. Some people think they have a right to go around the place doing whatever they like, without considering how wrong their actions could be.

Not a bad idea either, use "makey uppie" neices etc... BUT dont just go to the neighbour you suspect, go to all of them as a friendly neighbour kinda of way just so your not directly singling out one household... but you just doing the dutieful neighbour thing.

Hopefully the f*cker will get the hint!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Only a psycho would try to poison an animal. I know that barking dogs are a huge problem in Ireland. I don't know if yours bark a lot, not that barking a lot justifies anyone trying to harm an animal. I do know that barking drives people nuts. My own parents have a neighbour whose 2 small dogs bark incessantly, she doesn't agree that they do, my parents bought one of those expensive sonic devices that was supposed to go off when dogs bark, but it didn't work.

My point is sometimes people don't realise what a nuisance barking can be for other people, given that someone has tried to poison them, I think your only safe course of action is to keep them indoors when they aren't supervised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

What is the issue he had with the dogs? How did you come to find out that he had an issue with your dogs?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

What is the issue he had with the dogs? How did you come to find out that he had an issue with your dogs?

First I would like to thank you all for your responses and concern. The initial issue he had was when he moved in, within the first week he reported my dogs because they were large breed dogs and he said they should not me in the area, but the relevant authorities came out and said it was ok for me to have my two dogs. Today I had to leave my dogs at my mothers while at work and I didn't realise how on edge I would be, just thinking and knowing that this person would perhaps strike again and how alert I have to be. I was thinking maybe of going on local radio and offering a reward for information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

First I would like to thank you all for your responses and concern. The initial issue he had was when he moved in, within the first week he reported my dogs because they were large breed dogs and he said they should not me in the area, but the relevant authorities came out and said it was ok for me to have my two dogs. Today I had to leave my dogs at my mothers while at work and I didn't realise how on edge I would be, just thinking and knowing that this person would perhaps strike again and how alert I have to be. I was thinking maybe of going on local radio and offering a reward for information.

Def set up a camera to monitor the garden, there are loads of good ip cameras on Ebay or Amazon.

Sounds like a right nutter to me so please be careful.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Your not the only one to do this. This actually happened to my brother whos dog was poisoned by strychnine. He like yourself had an inkling who it was but there was no way to prove it. The police were aware of the situation and actually did him a favor by calling into a few doors including the guy in question in which they grilled him.Told said that a baby was out a back garden and was found with strychnine and now there is a serious investigation going on.

(To the general public a baby with poison is a more serious crime) The residence association then sent out flyers to all the houses saying the same thing. Not to Harass the guy but to point out the seriousness at what he did.

Advertisement