Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Meter?

Options
  • 18-02-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

Is my Meter faulty? I'm just not sure. We have a geothermal heat pump in the house and not sure if the metre has been configured to suit. The day units in the metre do not move and all of our electricity is based off the night time units. Is this normal? Is the meter setup like this because we have the heat pump? Is there a likely hood that the meter is broken and the night units are spinning too fast? Our latest bill was just over 600 euro for two months (Dec/Jan) whereas 2 months prior to this (Oct/Nov) the bill was 270 approx.

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Gibbers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

which company have you got,you can buy a plug in meter that tells you what your using,some companys might give them free

have you got 2 meters

have you checked your bill to see if has day rate and night rates

to revert back to one meter costs 190 euro

air city charges
    [*]24hr rate: you pay a single unit rate for electricity no matter what time of day it is.
    [*]Day rate: this applies only if you have a Day/Night meter. Day-rate hours are 8:00am – 11:00pm in the winter and 9:00am – 12:00 midnight in the summer.
    [*]Night rate: this applies if you have a Day/Night meter, and/or a night storage heater. Night-rate hours are 11:00pm – 8:00am in the winter and 12 midnight – 9:00am in the summer

http://www.bonkers.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gibbers

Hi Sawdoubters

I'm with Electric Ireland. It's a standard meter by all accounts. It has a day and night counter. We've just started to look at the online bills given the latest charge of over 600. Here's some more detail:

1. the Tariff is "Tariff Domestic-Nightsaver".
    2. The current reading day units is 12512
    3. The previous reading day units is 12512
    4. The day unit usage is 0
    5. The day unit price is 0.1817
    6. The night time usage was approx 5500 units @ 0.0897 for the two month period. The rest of the bill was made up of VAT and standing charges.

So is the fact I've got the Domestic-Nightsaver tariff stopping the day units moving? It appears from the numbers above that at 12512 my Tariff was changed and the day unit just stopped to focus all on night time units? 5500 is still alot by all accounts I think. The heatpump does run alot with the cold weather.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi gibbers,

Thanks for your post.

It sounds as though the timeswitch on your dual-tariff meter may be faulty. As the daytime hours are effective from 8am to 11pm, some day units should have been recorded.
    gibbers wrote:
    Is the meter setup like this because we have the heat pump?

In most cases, night storage heaters or heat pumps would be configured to 'sync' with a dual-tariff meter, meaning they would be triggered as soon as the cheaper night rate comes into effect. It the timeswitch is faulty, it's possible the heat pump is remaining active during the day also.

The best thing to do is send us a private message with your account details (full name, address, account no. and contact no.) so we can investigate further and send out a technician if necessary.

Regards,
    David

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

Advertisement