Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear S21 Episode 4 (23rd February)

Options
  • 18-02-2014 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭

aiw9.jpg

4/7. Jeremy Clarkson heads to Italy to get behind the wheel of the exclusive, hand-crafted Touring Superleggera Disco Volante, which is based on the already rare Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione sports car.
    Richard Hammond asserts authority over the sand dunes of Abu Dhabi in the six-wheel-drive Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG 6x6, while
    James May defies his status as Captain Slow by blasting two Caterhams around the test track - the minimalist entry-level Seven 160 and the full-fat supercharged Seven 620R.
    Comedian Jack Whitehall sets a lap time in the Reasonably Priced Car.

Radio Times

Rate tonight's episode 56 votes

Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    Above average
    12% 7 votes
    Average
    39% 22 votes
    Below average
    17% 10 votes
    Terrible
    30% 17 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Has potential depending on how good the reviews are done...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Comedian Jack Whitehall sets a lap time in the Reasonably Priced Car.

Am oooot
    9_bannatyne.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Jack Whitehall can't drive so it could be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

That little caterham 160 looks a hoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Hammond is so bloody annoying. Catherhams were excellent. Would love to see the 620 in the dry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God the news segment is so poor; I know SiaRPC gets a routine kicking, but at least that can be good if the guest is decent; the comic routines during the news are so terrible. 10 minutes of Hammond gurning and overacting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Good to see James using the skills that Mika Hakkinen taught him ... :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Get on with it.

What was the point of that pizza gag.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I LOLd at the gt3 gloves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

That Alfa is something special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Painful to watch the constant stream of lame jokes and forced laughter, I don't think Ive actually laughed at TG since the Reliant Robin rolling around corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

About that motorbike / tablecloth video, I'm pretty sure the MythBusters busted that one years ago ... so I knew how it was going to end.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The bmw video was obviously faked though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Apart from Whitehall I thought it was pretty good. I ****in want that 6x6 Merc NOW!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah that Merc kept this ep from being complete sh1t, loved the little hop it did from the desert onto that nice road at full speed.

Is TG that stuck that they're starting to mine Youtube and Facebook for motoring related videos everyone was sick of 6 months ago though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pretty decent episode I thought:

May's segment on the Caterhams was decent
    Clarksons segment on the Alfa was very good (what a car)
    Hammonds 6x6 section was alright too (Hammond aside)

The SIARPC car was just painful, the pizza thing was pointless, as was the tablecloth thing. But all in all, prob the strongest episode of the season so far for me (which isn't saying much)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The bmw video was obviously faked though

Yeah myth busters recreated it by having a sheet of clear hard plastic between the table cloth and under the Delph settings, having proven that anything else won't work.

Delph (&&&&&)
    Clear plastic (______ )
    Cloth ( ~~~~~~) pulled
    Table (
    )

Result

Delph (&&&&&)
    Clear plastic (______ )
    Table (
    )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah it was an episode that see-sawed between being watchable, entertaining (the Caterham & Alpha segments) and downright dreadful (the pizza and tablecloth portions). Honestly, I had zoned out during the news so it was positively surreal when I looked up and saw a pizza being tied around Hammond's crotch. Who in their right minds thought this was a good idea? I wonder how many people in the audience felt a bit bewildered and annoyed that this is what they queued all day to see...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Complicated.

I like the piece with the Merc 6x6 a lot, it was the redeeming piece of the episode. Hated the pizza flaming porsche antics. Just wasn't funny.

A lot of the time it feels like they're trying to be cool, and trying too hard. While being very much stuck in a mould.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I really liked it, very good episode. Now the Pizza bit was rubbish - but i did like how they took the piss out of the GT3 and Hammond. Their guests are getting worse and worse - honestly - a guest on a car program who can't drive. Seriously can we please have some guests who have an interest in cars ffs. But overall I really enjoyed it and made me LOL on many occasions.

Watched it on demand on upc, the recording ended just after he showed the "Datsun" - what happened?

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »

Watched it on demand on upc, the recording ended just after he showed the "Datsun" - what happened?

Man it must suck to be a UPC customer!

The Nissan was predictably unsuccessful in its attempt, though did make a good effort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Their guests are getting worse and worse - honestly - a guest on a car program who can't drive.
    Thought that was quite interesting actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Was I the only one that noticed..?
    At the end of the interview with Jack Whitehall, Jezza called him Joe..!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The problem with Top Gear is the show always over runs its slot. You need to add an extra 5 mins when set to record. Doesn't matter if it's UPC, Sky Plus or whatever other DVR setup you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

that the thing about epg, it records to the advirtised broadcasting time which doesn't always work out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭Soarer

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

that the thing about epg, it records to the advirtised broadcasting time which doesn't always work out

You can set the amount of time to record before and after the allocated time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant believe the voting! Above average?

The show realistically could be shortened to half an hour cutting out the bull****.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Why is every thread full of people talking about how rubbish Top Gear is - if you don't like it, don't watch it! Or get your own thread to b1tch...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why is every thread full of people talking about how rubbish Top Gear is - if you don't like it, don't watch it! Or get your own thread to b1tch...

Seems to be the new cool now around here to rubbish it.
    I don't think it had changed a whole lot. The first episode was strange in that it went way over the top with the silly comedy. The rest have been ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think most here would be watching Top Gear in the hopes that they'll get a decent episode. TG has provided some fantastic tv over the years, & any complaints over the show aren't born of not liking the show, but instead of disappointment.

Advertisement