Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian FC 2014 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Great performance from the lads last night,though its annoying looking at this and the pats game,then thinking of the likes of the limerick home game earlier in the season. Almost a different team.

Wearen is an immense player can see him doing big things, Paddy Kavanagh and Kevin Devaney two players who have really stepped up in recent weeks (though paddy has been doing it for longer).

Real encouraging stuff at the moment, Id fancy us against anyone tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bohs to take on Shamrock Rovers in the League Cup semi final on Monday August 4th. It's a bank holiday. Could be a good 'un.

Given Bohs good recent run of form this has the makings of being a really good game and timing wise maybe a good shot for Bohs to book a spot in the League Cup Final for the first time since beating Waterford United in the 2009 Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Will we get a good crowd in for this do y'all think? I've two non regulars coming along with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Anyone know why Adam Evans hasn't been starting? He's been with us the last while afaik. Anyone know anything about him? Seems decent enough. He got a few games at Inverness. If he's another Eoin wearen we're in for a real treat.

On a side note, if we can keep the guts of this team together and can add one or two next year I think we'd be top 4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

With regards to Evans, I understand why he's not playing. We're on a good run of form and as it stands our first XI picks itself right now. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Throwing him in against UCD next week would make more sense than throwing him in for the cup game on Monday to see what he's about.

What's really standing out for me right now is that we're surviving without Mulcahy, somebody we couldn't live without last season. So credit to Lopes who has been outstanding in midfield lately.

We've been really pulling our weight and the shackles have finally come loose. Devaney is one player that really sticks out in terms of forward momentum. He's guilty of running into blind alleys a lot of times but his graft and determination to get us on to the front foot is really great to see.

Radio commentary from here tonight for those that can't make the trip.

http://live.drive105.co.uk/

3-0 down at half time is kick in the nuts after last weeks heroics. This is probably selfish but I'd take a 6-0 loss tonight for an 89th minute OG win over the other crowd on Monday.

Also, was in getting tickets for that today and had my brothers little fella with me. He got his first ever Bohs jersey off me last week so now he 'follows Bohs'. He's only 4. Anyway, we met the team coming out of Dalyer to catch the bus North and the little fella was made up seeing them. Gave him a tour of the ground too and he's dying for his first of what I'm sure will be a lifetime of games. Even has 'his' seat picked out :)

3-0 down at half time is kick in the nuts after last weeks heroics. This is probably selfish but I'd take a 6-0 loss tonight for an 89th minute OG win over the other crowd on Monday.

Also, was in getting tickets for that today and had my brothers little fella with me. He got his first ever Bohs jersey off me last week so now he 'follows Bohs'. He's only 4. Anyway, we met the team coming out of Dalyer to catch the bus North and the little fella was made up seeing them. Gave him a tour of the ground too and he's dying for his first of what I'm sure will be a lifetime of games. Even has 'his' seat picked out :)

No better start than a cup semi final on Monday anyway!

Tonight we were poor. Lucky to get nil as the saying goes. Took off Dinny and Wearen probably with one eye on Monday. Hopefully Croly is in charge for that game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Are season tickets valid for the League cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

major bill wrote: »
    Are season tickets valid for the League cup?

Nope, fiver in for members. Not sure about ST holders!

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »
    No better start than a cup semi final on Monday anyway!

Tonight we were poor. Lucky to get nil as the saying goes. Took off Dinny and Wearen probably with one eye on Monday. Hopefully Croly is in charge for that game!

Nope. El Sacko.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Can't wait for tomorrow! Even more nervous than usual before a derby with a cup final at stake :P

Nerves are shot. Both teams coming off big defeats on Friday so could be a very cagey affair.

An 89th minute winner with the scrappiest goal in the shed end and I'd be laughing.

Derry aside we've been playing very well so hopefully Heary sets up like he did against Pats and Cork. No reason why he shouldn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Very nervous too, would love a cup final. On my way to Dalymount now for some €3.70 pre-match beers. Should help with the nerves a little. :)

Pathetic display. I really think Heary hasn't got a breeze what he's doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

very poor but amazingly created a few chances. tactics were so negative and the second goal was just a comedy of errors at the back. Why didn't Delaney just come out and claim it?

bohsboy wrote: »
    very poor but amazingly created a few chances. tactics were so negative and the second goal was just a comedy of errors at the back. Why didn't Delaney just come out and claim it?

One shot on target all game.... in the 90th minute. Not good enough at home.

Only thing I enjoyed was Anto Murphy's beautiful Kung-Fu tackle.

One shot on target all game.... in the 90th minute. Not good enough at home.

Only thing I enjoyed was Anto Murphy's beautiful Kung-Fu tackle.

Murphy should have been arrested, never mind sent off or given a booking. The ref didn't even give a free initially. That and Jayo's gesture at the end to the Rover's fans and the very obese Bohs fan buying chips were the only mildly interesting things that happened. It really was a shocking game. Ball spent more time in the air than on the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

oh yeah, ref was crap too. :-(

• Advertisement

Murphy should have been arrested, never mind sent off or given a booking. The ref didn't even give a free initially. That and Jayo's gesture at the end to the Rover's fans and the very obese Bohs fan buying chips were the only mildly interesting things that happened. It really was a shocking game. Ball spent more time in the air than on the ground

''He eats what he wants... he eats what he waaaants... Our boy Wheeler*, he eats what he wants!''

Best retort ever. What did Jayo do their fans?

*Think that was his name.

''He eats what he wants... he eats what he waaaants... Our boy Wheeler*, he eats what he wants!''

Best retort ever. What did Jayo do their fans?

*Think that was his name.

Breeno I believe your man's name was. Just heard some lads beside shouting it. I've no idea who he is.

He did the bras d'honneur

Why the fúck would Heary abandon the team/tactics that got us some great results against Cork and Pats? Makes no sense.

Dreadful performance. The stale crisps I had in the bar afterwards were more enjoyable than that shíte.

Breeno I believe your man's name was. Just heard some lads beside shouting it. I've no idea who he is.

He did the bras d'honneur

Nearly right, his name is Breener. Gas ****er....took it well, a jokes a joke but grown men (Rovers) in their 40's 50's singing about a young lads weight is a bit much.

What do we think of Heary's interview in the paper today?
    Is he pitching himself to be Fenlon's number 2?

What do we think of Heary's interview in the paper today?
    Is he pitching himself to be Fenlon's number 2?

Embarrassing. Coming out praising Rovers after we bent over for them not two days ago... Lost for words in all honesty.

I thought we were turning it around under him but this won't sit well with the fans.

• Advertisement

Shocking article, regardless of the man being your friend and that, you do not come out and Praise your biggest rivals new manager 2 days after an extremely poor performance against them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I know this is probably a minority view but I really thought that if Bohs had backed Callaghan fully in his first season, they would have had a chance of breaking the roundabout of the same players and managers rotating between the clubs year after year. At the time, I thought Heary's presence as assistant undermined him among the players (the body language was not great between the two of them), as well as the fans who never really took to him (possibly because he had no Bohs connections) and maybe even the board too - everyone just waiting for heary to take over.

Obviously, he was toast by the second season but I thought AC was a chance for the club to take a long-term view on finance, budgets and youth development, player recruitment (had some really good youngsters), etc and stick to it - as he seemed to have some really good ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Minnowism from Heary. Fully supported him until now. Not sure how I feel after that pathetic interview.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

:pac:

He's more positive about the appointment than some Rovers fans I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I thought the appointment was going to heal all the in-fighting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Giller will be sweating it reading those interviews.

Sacksian wrote: »
    I know this is probably a minority view but I really thought that if Bohs had backed Callaghan fully in his first season, they would have had a chance of breaking the roundabout of the same players and managers rotating between the clubs year after year. At the time, I thought Heary's presence as assistant undermined him among the players (the body language was not great between the two of them), as well as the fans who never really took to him (possibly because he had no Bohs connections) and maybe even the board too - everyone just waiting for heary to take over.

Obviously, he was toast by the second season but I thought AC was a chance for the club to take a long-term view on finance, budgets and youth development, player recruitment (had some really good youngsters), etc and stick to it - as he seemed to have some really good ideas.

I think AC was backed fair enough in the first season but ultimately agree with your point. Heary's presence did undermine AC's position. In the second season though we reduced the budget and only increased it in July and Heary brought in a few players then. If Calllaghan had the backing from the second season I still think he'd be manager now and we'd probably have a slightly better squad. We wouldn't have had to let as many players go and could have renewed a few more contracts as well as signing a higher calibre of player.

AC always went for squad size over quality but he was sorting that problem out. AC always had the backing of the majority of fans and it was only after a long streak of not scoring at home and not winning a game was he sacked. Again however it was a poor squad assembled on a low budget.

There were certainly faults with Callaghan's management but on a whole it was nothing that couldn't have been sorted with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I think AC was backed fair enough in the first season but ultimately agree with your point. Heary's presence did undermine AC's position. In the second season though we reduced the budget and only increased it in July and Heary brought in a few players then. If Calllaghan had the backing from the second season I still think he'd be manager now and we'd probably have a slightly better squad. We wouldn't have had to let as many players go and could have renewed a few more contracts as well as signing a higher calibre of player.

AC always went for squad size over quality but he was sorting that problem out. AC always had the backing of the majority of fans and it was only after a long streak of not scoring at home and not winning a game was he sacked. Again however it was a poor squad assembled on a low budget.

There were certainly faults with Callaghan's management but on a whole it was nothing that couldn't have been sorted with experience.

Sorry, yeah, you're right about the backing he got in the first season (and I'd agree with everything else too!).

The 5-1 drubbing in Iceland didn't help his cause at all and was prob the nail in the coffin

The 5-1 drubbing in Iceland didn't help his cause at all and was prob the nail in the coffin

I know. A classic Bohs result in Europe. We had a super record against Rovers though which more than made up for it. I think with the budget we have now it would have been a different story under him. We have the players now to play good football and did have under Callaghan in the first year. If we could have offered Luke Byrne or Keith Ward or Dinny etc any sort of money for the second year I we'd have stayed up comfortably. The thing was Heary. He turned the dressing room against Callaghan, caused us to drop point and he played a very dangerous and selfish game that could have gotten us relegated all for personal gain.

If we stayed up it would have been all Heary. Had we gone down the damage would have already have been done. It was win win for Heary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Heary will relish putting one over Fenlon in the next Bohs-Rovers derby despite the compliments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The thing was Heary. He turned the dressing room against Callaghan, caused us to drop point and he played a very dangerous and selfish game that could have gotten us relegated all for personal gain.

As far as I know this isn’t widely believed, or common knowledge. Where does the idea come from? Heary has form in what he was up to while Connor was coach but I am not sure he ever sought to get Callaghan sacked.

UCD away in that weather.... The hassle.

Heary will relish putting one over Fenlon in the next Bohs-Rovers derby despite the compliments.

Based on what? Two defeats and a draw this season.

Realistically we're not going to win any leagues with the budget we have. For him to be judged a success, he has to succeed in doing one of the following:
    1. Play an Attractive Brand of Football.
    2. Put up a spirited display in the Derby Matches.
    3. Overachieve in the League or Cup.

Defeats in the derby games, a poisonous brand of football, mid-table obscurity and complete and a complete and utter display of minnowism this week that's alienated our hardcore fanbase.
    His position is now untenable unless we go on a cup run. Never in my wildest dreams thought I'd say this, but I want Roddy back. :o

• Advertisement

Madworld wrote: »
    Based on what? Two defeats and a draw this season.

Realistically we're not going to win any leagues with the budget we have. For him to be judged a success, he has to succeed in doing one of the following:
    1. Play an Attractive Brand of Football.
    2. Put up a spirited display in the Derby Matches.
    3. Overachieve in the League or Cup.

Defeats in the derby games, a poisonous brand of football, mid-table obscurity and complete and a complete and utter display of minnowism this week that's alienated our hardcore fanbase.
    His position is now untenable unless we go on a cup run. Never in my wildest dreams thought I'd say this, but I want Roddy back. :o

Agree with your post but I am actually worried about the growing number of Rodestants within Bohs, I find it delusional to think that WHEN Roddy returns we will be competitive...the man is a spoofer...he might inject a bit of much needed interest back in the club but he will achieve nothing.

Agree with your post but I am actually worried about the growing number of Rodestants within Bohs, I find it delusional to think that WHEN Roddy returns we will be competitive...the man is a spoofer...he might inject a bit of much needed interest back in the club but he will achieve nothing.

Agree 100% that he's a complete and utter spoofer, and I think we're likely to find ourselves in a situation similar to Kevin Keegan's return to Newcastle a couple of years ago whereby 'The Messiah' returns and it turns out to be a bit of a let down.

However if/when he comes back there will be a couple of positives:
    1. It'll reinvigorate our fans base. Lapsed fans will return and we'll be in the papers a lot more. (And it won't be with pathetic, defeatist statements like Heary's mid-week double entendre.)
    2. Decent brand of football. Again he might be a spoofer, but he generally sets his team out to play in the right manner.
    3. Roddy is universally loathed by established Premier Division clubs... except Bohs. When he goes to a club where the fans are against him from the offset, he generally never turns it around. When they're relatively positive about his appointment he tends to do well.
    4. It'll end this Rodestant debate once and for all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Madworld wrote: »
    2. Decent brand of football. Again he might be a spoofer, but he generally sets his team out to play in the right manner.

Derry fans might disagree..

Any news on Anto Murphy this morning? Taken to hospital last night with a suspected broken ankle.

Bohs Official Facebook

"Anto Murphy dislocated his ankle last night. He didn't break it, as was feared. He will miss approximately six weeks of action"

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was away for the last 2 and a bit weeks

Jaysis

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Was away for the last 2 and a bit weeks

Jaysis

Drogs and Shams in quick succession does not get any easier. Not even taking into account the cup game away to Cork.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Drogs and Shams in quick succession does not get any easier. Not even taking into account the cup game away to Cork.

Drogheda were a guaranteed 3points only a few weeks ago under Horgan. Poisonous attitude throughout the squad. I went to see them vs Pats a while back and thought "we'd even hammer these". So while they've a new gaffer in, I still think we could do them some damage if we play like we did vs Cork City,

Lads, what an absolute farce with this Rovers fixture being called off. I've heard everything from a fox digging a hole, derby boys being too much trouble and Bohs sabotaging their own pitch! I'm frankly embarrassed with this situation, it's grand for me as I work beside the ground but imagine travelling with mates or kids up to this. Lads I know swapped shifts and all. The ref left it nice and late too. Bloody madness.

Sorry I'm in rant mode, had all this nervous excite built up all day!

• Advertisement

Didn't travel over myself and I am delighted now I made that decision,

I think it is a poor decision by the ref with no proper consideration given to the magnitude of the fixture and what it represents, I don't buy too much into player safety as they would have gone into challenges very hard anyway, Ref making headlines as is the norm in this league.

Club need to get the pitch sorted ASAP...It's not good enough at this level.

Advertisement