Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian FC 2014 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Someone posted in the LoI thread the other day that's the way it's looking. Do Sligo train in Dublin? Heary has 3 young kids so doubt moving West is an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I hope it doesn't come to his leaving. He has done an excellent job with the squad at his disposal.

Ditto on Roddy.

I see the Sun are reporting Heary to Sligo on a 2 year deal, if the Sun report it it's as good enough as done.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can see us losing a chunk of our squad next season if Heary goes, back to square one again. ..

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

No great loss if he does leave, done a job that was expected of him I won't be shedding any tears.

As for the talk of Roddy.....jaysus:rolleyes:

major bill wrote: »
    No great loss if he does leave, done a job that was expected of him I won't be shedding any tears.

It's more that it's another interruption to the team. A new manager, new style, probably a good few players in and out again. Makes it hard to build on this season when we've to start all over again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

He ultimately failed to build a rapport with the fans. He never acknowledged travelling fans after travelling to Cork or Derry or even making the trip to Dalyer. Rule number 1 from the Pat Fenlon school of managing is dragging every player over and applauding them. Fenlon built such a strong rapport with Bohs fans and there was such a good buzz around the club. Winning obviously helped but even in the last year the buzz was still there.

Heary never did that. He made some baffling decisions too. Not making substitutes, keeping Jayo on for way longer than he was fit to play etc. We had a good season ultimately but it's time for him to move on.

There's one name for the job and one name only imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And who's that? Is Mick Cooke around?!

I'd say a lot of fans will be happy to see the back of Heary going by the treatment of some players, it actually might keep them at Dalymount.

• Advertisement

I'd say a lot of fans will be happy to see the back of Heary going by the treatment of some players, it actually might keep them at Dalymount.

By keeping them out of the squad or worse than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If Sligo go part time, i doubt many players will travel down for an extra few quid.

BOHtox wrote: »
    By keeping them out of the squad or worse than that?

Worse. Picking on the younger lads, had a falling out with a few players even after Heary was given advanced notice they had academic things to do, and a few other bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Really hoping that Bohs don't just pick up another body from the LOI managerial roundabout - is it really that much of a benefit to have managed or played in the league??

I know there's no budget but, I think the fans have realistic expectations and maybe the club could have another go at giving someone a bit left-field time to build.

What would be the danger in taking time to identify, for example, the best Junior coaches out there? Someone who has the badges, a proven record, etc and would probably jump at the chance?

Why would that be more of a gamble than someone who has no badges but is being considered because they played for the club? Or someone who has managed 10 other clubs in 10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Sacksian wrote: »
    Really hoping that Bohs don't just pick up another body from the LOI managerial roundabout - is it really that much of a benefit to have managed or played in the league??

I know there's no budget but, I think the fans have realistic expectations and maybe the club could have another go at giving someone a bit left-field time to build.

What would be the danger in taking time to identify, for example, the best Junior coaches out there? Someone who has the badges, a proven record, etc and would probably jump at the chance?

Why would that be more of a gamble than someone who has no badges but is being considered because they played for the club? Or someone who has managed 10 other clubs in 10 years?
    That's fine but unlike other clubs we cannot afford to sack them if it goes wrong, I suspect we will be looking at someone that's free and out of work right now but I hope I'm wrong.

It's hard to build when you're pretty much guaranteed to lose any player who performed particularly well during the season, see Callaghan's first season. Sure it looks like we're losing our manager after a half decent season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

It's hard to build when you're pretty much guaranteed to lose any player who performed particularly well during the season, see Callaghan's first season. Sure it looks like we're losing our manager after a half decent season.

True - I just think it might be worth starting out with the understanding that you're going to lose very good players, and build that risk into an overall strategy, rather than going back to groundhog day with the same old faces. Although, to be fair, the high/player staff turnover is just a function of the short-term contracts that a lot of the clubs have to operate with because of the budgets - **** for everyone involved but probably unavoidable.

Heary going to Sligo just feels like more of the managerial roundabout mentality in the LOI (rather than him being poached) - it wouldn't have been the worst for him or for the fans/players/board to have some stability, another season and a bit of time to plan.

Be very interesting to see who the board pick. Roddy Collins, Bobby Browne, Tony Cousins, Johnny McDonnell, Brian Kerr, Dave Hill, Lawrie Sanchez? Just throwing out a few names and they either seem
    a) Unispiring
    b) Out of our league
    c) No reason to leave their current club

Could well be another Aaron Callaghan type appointment. We're a big club though and I'm sure we'll get plenty of cvs in the door!

I saw Paul Doolin floating around Phibsboro the other day. Any chance he'd be up for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Omackeral wrote: »
    I saw Paul Doolin floating around Phibsboro the other day. Any chance he'd be up for it?

He has a pretty cushy number with the Under 21s

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

CSF wrote: »
    He has a pretty cushy number with the Under 21s

Under 19s.

He's apparently very interested in returning to LOI management, but I doubt it'd be with Bohs.

• Advertisement

I can't take the Doolins, Alan Matthews of this league, I'd be interested to see what names are thrown about.

Jason Byrne player/Manager anybody

major bill wrote: »
    I can't take the Doolins, Alan Matthews of this league, I'd be interested to see what names are thrown about.

Jason Byrne player/Manager anybody

Has he any qualifications? Bit of a strange choice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Has he any qualifications? Bit of a strange choice

Wouldn't like Byrne myself. He doesn't have the appropriate qualifications in any case.

Wouldn't like Byrne myself. He doesn't have the appropriate qualifications in any case.

Nobody without qualifications should even be discussed tbh

Bit random but anyone know if Kevin Hunt has done any training/coaching badges at all?

Bit random but anyone know if Kevin Hunt has done any training/coaching badges at all?

You'd think there might be stuff paid for with the scouting work at the big clubs

Now that would be the return of the Messiah

Scouting at Man City currently, Doubt he would be bothered.

Think the new manager would have a tough job keeping the squad together. There's about 12-16 players we have who I'd love to keep and that would mean only a further half dozen or so players to make up the squad. It may seem like a lot but relatively speaking in LOI terms it's absolutely nothing! Heary might have the advantage keeping Lopes, Moore, Beattie etc. He may also want to bring them to Sligo.

Is it a definite done deal?

BOHtox wrote: »
    Is it a definite done deal?

Neil O'Riordan and his brother Luke are Sun Sport journos, they're big Bohs fans and normally have great inside info and it was Neil who wrote the article. I'd imagine it's as good as done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wouldn't mind Keith Long or Mick Cooke personally.

• Advertisement

Owen confirmed gone by the club facebook. Had the chance to personally thank him tonight, and I'm really grateful. The man has given so much for our club and I wish him nothing but success for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Owen confirmed gone by the club facebook. Had the chance to personally thank him tonight, and I'm really grateful. The man has given so much for our club and I wish him nothing but success for the future.

His speech at the end really annoyed me though, stating most of the players would be leaving as well, thought that was out of order, whether it's true or not.

mattb74 wrote: »
    His speech at the end really annoyed me though, stating most of the players would be leaving as well, thought that was out of order, whether it's true or not.
    Yeah, bit of a weird way to say your final piece to the fans

In fairness to Heary, he's never been decent at PR. :pac:

Just speaking to my mate last night at the game. I'd love Brian Kerr in. Probably very wishful thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lot of them chanting for roddy during the match last night.

Agree on the speech at the end though, wasnt great. Big reaction for jayo.

Mick Cooke seems to be the name doing the rounds, wouldn't be the worst. Options are going to be pretty thin on the ground.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Lot of them chanting for roddy during the match last night.

Anyone but that chancer. Seriously. Heard a whisper that Keith Long may be in line.

Anyone but that chancer. Seriously. Heard a whisper that Keith Long may be in line.

What do you reckon about doolin? Kerr would be a great shout, but no chance.

Rumours of Croly.

• Advertisement

Rumours of Croly.

Good god,no.

Croly would never work. Didn't hear him being mentioned at all tbh. Heard strong rumours of Cooke and a few whispers of Long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Please let it be Roddy. Just for the comedy value.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    What do you reckon about doolin? Kerr would be a great shout, but no chance.

Yeah wouldn't say no to him. Saw him knocking around Phibsboro last week but could just be a coincidence.

Cooke: a decent shout too for my money.
    Roddy: wouldn't like it personally.
    Croly : No way.
    Long : Wouldn't be the worst.
    Barraclough : Anyone know what he's up to?

My order of preference of the main three managers linked to be coming in is
    1: Roddy
    2: Long
    3: Cooke

Hopefully one can be appointed within the next few days and they can start rebuilding the squad

I'll support whoever comes in as manager, but I have to say the intensity of the clamour for Roddy on the supporters forum is a little terrifying.

• Advertisement

I'll support whoever comes in as manager, but I have to say the intensity of the clamour for Roddy on the supporters forum is a little terrifying.

In fairness pal, it's been like this all season. I would rather do without him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Nobody without qualifications should even be discussed tbh
    "I'm sorry Mr Zidane, but you're just not what we're looking for right now."

As That Guy and SN have alluded to, I'd be less than happy with Roddy coming in. I wouldn't turn my back to him or anything but I wouldn't be singing his name either.

Chatting to an Athlone FC season ticket holder yesterday and he said Keith Long to Bohs is being spouted over there quite a bit.

"I'm sorry Mr Zidane, but you're just not what we're looking for right now."
    Maybe when the ban is over ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

How did Beattie do for ye this season? Word is he's coming to Cork. Have to say I didnt hear too many Bohs fans praising him throughout the course of the season, and he seems like a utility player, which is what we don't need next season. But interested to know anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement