Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on best Front End/ DB combo

Options
  • 18-02-2014 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have an application that's built in Access/VBA. It consists of two main components - a database... to hold the data and a front end, to view/manipulate it.

The database structure is quite generic and object oriented. The gui is database driven. There are class of objects which can be viewed using a treeview control. When an object is selected you can view/manipulate the data parameters that are defined against it. If I need new objects or classes of object, I just add rows to a table etc.

The only drawback is that potential users need to have MSAccess installed. I'd like it to be a standalone application. Opensource would be even better. Perhaps there are pre-existing tools/packages that would work as a starting point?

What are people's thoughts regarding alternative technology/language? With the following in mind:
    - I would like it to be stand alone (i.e. without the user having to install a MySQL server for example
    - If there are prebuilt libraries to do some/all of what I want - even better
    - Open source is good to minimise license fees etc.

Thanks

Advertisement