Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newest person up for questions; Couerdelion

Options
  • 18-02-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

Previous threads of this series are:
    Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata
    pgibbo
    AKW
    shotgunmcos
    peter kern
    zico10
    joey100

So my week is over and it's time to pick the next person, Couerdelion has kindly accepted this and is now up for questions. (maybe a mod can link to past one? I have no idea how to do it).

So I'll start it off,

Dream bike and set up Road and TT?

Is the focus this year more on cycle races or tri?

Will you ever be able to get over Sheffield Wednesday beating Leeds 6-0 and proving once and for all who the best team in Yorkshire is??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

how far do you live from the NAC ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Goals for 2014?
    Favourite discipline?
    Do you follow a training plan? If so what session do you see on your plan and think "ugh I do NOT want to do that''? If not, what session/sessions do you hate the most?
    Dream bike?
    Bucket list race?
    Ever run a marathon that you trained solely for?

Your LUFC XI?.
    Three rooms, you get to pick one and go in with a baseball bat. Riddler is in one, Bates another, Paul f*cking Butler in the third, all tied to chairs. Which one do you choose?
    Best game you've been to?
    Worst game you've been to?
    Do you ever make it to games anymore?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Best race? Why?
    Worst race? Why?
    If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?
    Have you ever done a bungee jump?
    Famous person you admire most?
    Non famous person you admire most?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

joey100 wrote: »
    Dream bike and set up Road and TT?
    TT - Has to be a Storck Aero 2. Not bothered about how great it is in a wind tunnel or how many extra watts it might have but it looks good!

storck-aero2-2010-a-600x389.jpg

Road bike - really don't know. I quite like De Rosa and thier Black label stuff so perhaps a Protos.

protos2014840_rosso,fluo.jpg
    Is the focus this year more on cycle races or tri?

Cycle racing at the moment but I'll still do 5-6 triathlons throughout the year although HOW is the only one I've signed up and paid for so far.
    Will you ever be able to get over Sheffield Wednesday beating Leeds 6-0 and proving once and for all who the best team in Yorkshire is??

Bad result, but we don't see any of the other Yorkshire clubs as rivals. The table at the end of the season will be a true reflection.

peter kern wrote: »
    how far do you live from the NAC ?

About 3km... and I know where this is going :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Why can't you get out of the scratcher in the mornings to go swimming?

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Don't buy crisps anymore but Walkers Cheese and Onion was always my favourite
    Goals for 2014?

Nothing too lofty, to try and be faster than last year and be competing with some of the lads in my club.
    Favourite discipline?

Cycling far and away the favourite. I am enjoying swimming though too since I started again in October.
    Do you follow a training plan? If so what session do you see on your plan and think "ugh I do NOT want to do that''? If not, what session/sessions do you hate the most?
    Cycling Hill repeats - usually 5-6 x Hill of Tara. It's fine once I start but it's a 30km cycle of dread to get there.
    Dream bike?
    The storck Aero 2 as pictured above.
    Bucket list race?
    Ever run a marathon that you trained solely for?
    The only standalone marathon I've done is Kildare last year where I learnt a valuable lesson in pacing. I went through the half mark in a near enough time to my PR and then fell apart and finished in over 4 hours. It was hard and I cried at the end because I was pretty frustrated.
    Your LUFC XI?.
    GK. Martyn
    RB. Kelly
    CB. Radebe
    CB. Woodgate
    LB. Dorigo
    RM. Strachan
    CM. Batty
    CM. Mcallister
    LM. Speed
    CF. Yeboah
    CF. Chapman

Would love to put John Charles in the team - I never saw him play but would speak to him at most home matches and he was a great man.
    Three rooms, you get to pick one and go in with a baseball bat. Riddler is in one, Bates another, Paul f*cking Butler in the third, all tied to chairs. Which one do you choose?

Bates. No contest. Risdale was a fan at heart. Butler would be a waste of a baseball bat. Bates only bought us because we wrecked the Chelsea scoreboard
    Best game you've been to?

Some of the midweek European games under O'Leary's stewardship were fantastic. Either the 3-3 with Lazio or the 3-0 against Deportiva la Coruna
    Worst game you've been to?
    Leeds vs Derby under George Grahams reign. Sat in West Stand B on a cold midweek night with the wind howling in through the scoreboard. Went down to the bar after 10 mins and watched in on the telly. 0-0.
    Do you ever make it to games anymore?

Yes, but not as often as I'd like. I think it's down to the awful football we play. It was the same in the 80's but at least the players had some passion and wanted to play for the club.

Oryx wrote: »
    Best race? Why?
    I haven't got a best race yet. Every single one I've ever done I feel that I could have done better. I suppose Joey Hannon last year was good. Felt fit going into it and had a good swim and bike and then didn't lose too many positions in the run.
    Worst race? Why? HOTW last year. Awful swim. I just couldn't get going, swallowed a lot of water and felt i was going backwards at times. Came out of T1 jumped on my bike and then had to get back off as I hadn't undone my shoes. Cycle wasn't too bad and the run went ok but I was racing in bad humour after the swim.
    If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?

I quite like the look of the Maldives - tropical islands with clear water and being looked after in a luxury hotel. I like heat and tranquility.
    Have you ever done a bungee jump?

No - they usually have a weight limit on them :)
    Famous person you admire most?
    Non famous person you admire most?

They're tough questions. I don't really admire anyone. I was never one to put posters of famous people on the wall or to place people on pedestals.
    There are people who I believe do good work in fields like medicine and put their causes before their own well being which is an admirable trait, there are those who are great philanthropists, another admirable trait and there are people who overcome disabilities or tragedies to triumph in their personal lives or sporting careers and I admire that will to succeed.

ray o wrote: »
    Why can't you get out of the scratcher in the mornings to go swimming?

I was pretty consistent before Christmas but since then I've had a bad chest. It's worse in the mornings after being laid down - I was up this morning at 6 but chest was in bits so come 6:45 I put the TV on rather than go swimming.

Last season - yeah I was just lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I haven't got a best race yet. Every single one I've ever done I feel that I could have done better. I suppose Joey Hannon last year was good. Felt fit going into it and had a good swim and bike and then didn't lose too many positions in the run.

Isn't that the race you were up all night before sick? Then got to the race forgot your timing chip, had to fly back to hotel when they closed the roads, then remembered you had left it in your bag in transition?? Maybe you need to replicate this before every race, like a superstition. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Couerdelion. :)

Where does your name, Couerdelion, come from?

What distances of triathlon have you done? And which distance is your favorite?

How many years have you been in triathlon? And what got you hooked?

Have you a tri coach, or what is your "coaching" set-up for swim/bike/run? If you have a coach (or coaches), how effective do you find him/her/them in terms of results in your race performance vs. "self-coaching" and "self-discipline"?

What is your biggest stumbling block when it comes to training?

In a race, are you tougher mentally or physically?

When you are suffering in a race, do you have any tricks you pull out of your bag (or songs you sing in your head :o) to get you through the misery?

Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, where and of what?

Have you any nicknames?

Craziest thing you've ever done?

Craziest thing you want to do?

Do you shave your legs?

Have you ever painted your toe nails, and if so, what color?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Petrol or diesel engine?

(I'll get my coat)

Isn't that the race you were up all night before sick? Then got to the race forgot your timing chip, had to fly back to hotel when they closed the roads, then remembered you had left it in your bag in transition?? Maybe you need to replicate this before every race, like a superstition. ;)

Yeah, got down to Limerick and went for a run - that meant everywhere was shut for food and I was limited to a takeaway. Didn't sit in the stomach too well.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi Couerdelion. :)

Hey Dory - a good few questions here for me!
    Where does your name, Couerdelion, come from?

It's a purposely mispelt version of Coeur de lion which is "heart of the lion" or Richard the lion heart which is near enough to my name.
    What distances of triathlon have you done? And which distance is your favorite?

Sprint, Olympic and Half. I think I prefer Sprints.
    How many years have you been in triathlon? And what got you hooked?
    4 years now. I got challenged to do one. I never thought I'd be able for them so just completing one and knowing I could have been faster was enough to get me hooked.
    Have you a tri coach, or what is your "coaching" set-up for swim/bike/run? If you have a coach (or coaches), how effective do you find him/her/them in terms of results in your race performance vs. "self-coaching" and "self-discipline"?

Self coached as in there is no-one putting together a master plan for me I do that myself but am swimming this season with two different coaches who are both really good and my swim is improving. Running too is coached in the main and is slowly getting better when I bother to run. Cycling is with a club at the weekend and by myself during the week.
    What is your biggest stumbling block when it comes to training?

Consistency in the past and so far this year I've been struggling to hit regular sessions due to illness.
    In a race, are you tougher mentally or physically?

Mentally I reckon. There are times when I've continued on running when I should have stopped - I did over 130km last year on a stress fracture.
    When you are suffering in a race, do you have any tricks you pull out of your bag (or songs you sing in your head :o) to get you through the misery?

No, I'm poor on the mental side of stuff. I have a fear of failure but that's it and I use that to get through any challenges. I was always told I was too laid back when I played team sports because I wasn't one to get fired up and shout and scream pre-match.
    Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, where and of what?
    Just one on my shoudler blade. A St George's Cross, with a Yorkshire rose in the middle and Leeds underneath. Not the best thing to have in Ireland - got it as a few mates got similar done in my football following days.
    Have you any nicknames?
    None that I know of.
    Craziest thing you've ever done?
    Getting stopped for speeding just after hitting over 150mph in the Isle of Man. I saw the cops so slowed down, my mate over took me and he got the ticket. Or walking through the middle of the Arc de Triomphe straight over the tomb of the unknown soldier. The Gendarmes with their machine guns weren't laughing.
    Craziest thing you want to do?

When I retire I want to buy a boat and spend some time sailing round the world.
    Do you shave your legs?

I did once last year but even when I haven't shaved them people think I have. I'm not a very hairy person.
    Have you ever painted your toe nails, and if so, what color?

No never.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Couerdelion,

Would you be happy out taking the rest of the year off to train if the bank manager and your other boss gave you the nod?

Dr Phil or Jeremy Kyle?

Whats your link to Autism Action?

Could you take Keith Duffy?

How far will England go in the world cup.

When I beat you in Omagh, was that your lowest day in Tri?

Do you think racing 10 weekends in a row is OTT?

Whats your biggest limiter, do you give it extra weight in your plan?

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Couerdelion,

Would you be happy out taking the rest of the year off to train if the bank manager and your other boss gave you the nod?

No. After 6 months I'm bored senseless. It sounded great but I'm not mentally stimulated and it's not healthy for my head. That and neither the bank manager or the real boss would let me have much more time off!
    Dr Phil or Jeremy Kyle?
    Don't really watch either of them - first few weeks of leisure I watched a bit of daytime TV but it really is terrible. I've seen Jeremy Kyle a few times and know someone who has been on - I think she was on a show with the title "I bought a wedding dress but he still won;t ask me to marry him". Bunny boiler.
    Whats your link to Autism Action?
    No link really. my older brother has some autistic tendencies (as well as a load more things wrong with him) and I know people whose kids have aspergers. I just think it's a worthwhile charity and it doesn't eat up charity money on administration.
    Could you take Keith Duffy?
    I reckon so. I'm meeting him again next week so I'll ask him who he thinks will win. I beat him on the tanning last year but he's definitely got it in the bag this time.
    How far will England go in the world cup.
    I'd hope they qualify from the group stages. That's about as far as the team deserve - not good enough to win it and QF would be a huge success - although the press will crucify the team at every opportunity.
    When I beat you in Omagh, was that your lowest day in Tri?
    No, I was over-trained at that point and was happy to complete it. I only raced it as Euro qualifier - anyone who wanted to get in was almost guaranteed by that route.
    Do you think racing 10 weekends in a row is OTT?

Ah now, it was only 8 weeks in a row I think. Yes, in normal terms it would be excessive but I needed to see how I'd cope under physical strain - not very well if you beat me ;)
    Whats your biggest limiter, do you give it extra weight in your plan?

If you mean which of the three disciplines then Running - and no like a lot of triathletes I prefer to train on what I like so running at the moment is getting little attention. Other than that it's weight - I need to lose about 10kg (for a start!) to start being competitive and get me down to <15% BF (according to tests I had done). I'd only just be under 100kg though even then so unless I start losing muscle mass too then I'll always have my weight as a limiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Favourite film
    Favourite movie character
    Does seeing someone like Sam Burgess moving to Union break your heart?
    3 people in sports you admire?
    What happened England after the 2003 World Cup, bad strategic planning or just lack of talent?
    Hows the stress fracture at the moment
    Any Ironman plans in the future?
    When am I getting my wheelbag :D (I am up around Croke Pak tomorrow)

catweazle wrote: »
    Favourite film
    The Mission - good film and soundtrack.
    Also like war movies, Bridge over the River Kwai, Dambusters, Dirty Dozen, a Bridge to Far, Great Escape.
    Favourite movie character
    James Bond - everyone wants to be James Bond don't they?
    Does seeing someone like Sam Burgess moving to Union break your heart?

Yes and No. Yes, because Rugby League is a great sport but it's not growing like it should and it will be further seen as RU's poor cousin when the best players are switching. Union has all the money and can attract the big players whilst RL has to compete under tight salary caps.
    No, because it shows that the basic skills of RL are relevant to both codes and players can choose RL and if they are good enough still make a switch.
    3 people in sports you admire?

Jamie Peacock MBE - Phenomenal player and leader and seems to get stronger every year despite his age.
    Sir Clive Woodward - Really intelligent coach, constantly looking at other sports and coaching methods to see how they can be used in his sport.
    Sir David Brailsford - he's done wonders for GB cycling and set a professional team up from scratch to win 2 TdF's.
    What happened England after the 2003 World Cup, bad strategic planning or just lack of talent?
    English RU is frustrating. The focus is all on the club game - partly the reason they don't do well at the Heineken either. There's no lack of talent in the game but more a lack of cohesion in bringing the talent together and a unified strategy across the premiership.
    Hows the stress fracture at the moment
    Grand, all seems to be fixed and not a problem at all
    Any Ironman plans in the future?
    I had earmarked Roth for 2015, but it might be 2016 now.
    When am I getting my wheelbag :D (I am up around Croke Pak tomorrow)

Ahhh, I'm using it at the moment after months of it being in the back of the van. Bought new race wheels and the bag is the perfect hiding place for them until they go on the bike - give me a month or so and you can have it - I'll probably be over your way racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hi couerdelion,
    How you enjoying your week in the sun?
    What do you do for crust?
    What race are you planning on doing in the next month around Galway?
    Favourite meal - all course?
    Five dinner guests you'd like to invite around and why?
    Favourite book?
    What's your sporting background?
    Are you a member of the zip firelighter club?
    If you had to pick 2 boardsies for a relay with yo0u, who would you pick and why?

Cheers,
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Have you done many tris in England?
    What were your favourites?
    Any that you haven't done that you'd like to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Was it me who blocked you on Sunday? I really hope not :o

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Was it me who blocked you on Sunday? I really hope not :o

I don't think so - never really noticed. If it wasn't then it would have been later that I pulled in. I shouldn't have started.

pgibbo wrote: »
    How you enjoying your week in the sun?

Grand so far... just need to find someone for next week!
    What do you do for crust?

My background is in software development; developer. development manager, project/programme management and last job was as CTO. At the moment though nothing. After 20 years in IT I took voluntary redundancy last Sept and have taken some time off. Started looking again last few weeks as I'm bored and need to be mentally challenged.
    What race are you planning on doing in the next month around Galway?

Loughrea GP is early March so might be over that way to complete.
    Favourite meal - all course?

I'm a big fan of Italian food. Favourite ever meal was in a restaurant in Alghero, Sardinia for New Years Eve 5-6 years ago. Really simple food but done well.

Other than that I like Fois gras for starter. Main would be game, Wild Boar slow cooked, and desert would be chocolate of some description
    Five dinner guests you'd like to invite around and why?
    If they have to be still alive...
    Bill Gates - The way he grew Microsoft was incredible and he's a great philanthropist too. Would be good to talk to him about business and how he feels he helps people through his charities.
    Kevin Sinfield - GB and Leeds RL Captain and the best kicker in either code. just to listen to his sports stories.
    Bradley Wiggins - Like his no $hit attitude. Woul love to here his stories about the Tour
    Alex Turner - Makes good music and writes great lyrics so I'd pass him a guitar for after dinner.
    Gordon Strachan - Great footballer and again like his no nonsense approach.

Favourite book?

I read a lot and read fast so I don't think I ever really appreciate the quality of some books. I did enjoy Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes though the film was rubbish.
    What's your sporting background?

Up to 14/15 I was a promising footballer. Played Centre half and was playing saturday afternoons for the youth team (after sunday mornings rugby for the school) and sundays for the senior side. Around that age I had to make a decision as to whether I wanted to play rugby or football and chose rugby - my dad was a good footballer and I got fed up of comparisons. At 17/18 I went to Bradford Bulls academy but didn't like it - I didn't want to play professionally (no real money in it back then) just with my mates so went to Uni and then played Rugby Union till I was 21 and then went back to League and played a bit of both till I was mid 30's and it was getting frowned on turning up with black eyes - it was probably always frowned on but I never really cared. I then took up golf whilst doing my masters and got a lot fatter. At nearly 21 stone I decided to take up triathlon and a few year later I'm a bit lighter and a bit fitter.
    Are you a member of the zip firelighter club?

Yep, we're a little less zip firelighter these days but still those great colours :D
    If you had to pick 2 boardsies for a relay with yo0u, who would you pick and why?

Swim would be interested - just so I could shout at him to go faster and see how he likes it :D

I guess I would do the bike as I'm only allowed to pick 2

Run would be PeterKern - again just so I could shout at him to go faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Which boardsie who you have never met would you like to go have a beer with, and why?

Blondes, brunettes or red heads?

Have you ever done karaoke? If so, how would you rate yourself?

Do you wear a one piece or two piece tri suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The Loughrea GP is a very good race by all accounts. Best of luck at it.

If your 5 dinner guests didn't have to be alive?
    What was the lowest you got you handica down to whilst golfing?
    Favourite courses in Ireland - say top 3?
    Favourite courses in UK - say top 3?
    Played any outside of UK or Ireland that you'd recommend?

Best of luck with the job hunting.

zico10 wrote: »
    Have you done many tris in England?
    What were your favourites?
    Any that you haven't done that you'd like to do?

No never raced in England. I'd quite like to do this race the Wensleydale Full Cheese. Stunning scenery and one of my favorite places.

Which boardsie who you have never met would you like to go have a beer with, and why?

Racoonqueen - because she supports a great football team.
    Blondes, brunettes or red heads?

Well my wife hair is almost black so I'd have to say blondes ;)
    Have you ever done karaoke? If so, how would you rate yourself?

Yes, if I have enough to drink I've no problem jumping up and singing. I'm not very good though - I used to sing a lot when I was younger and was good but I guess it's like any instrument - if you don't practice you stop being able to use it.
    Do you wear a one piece or two piece tri suit?

One piece - I wouldn't want to think of the mental harm I'd cause wearing a two piece with my belly sticking out between.

The Loughrea GP is a very good race by all accounts. Best of luck at it.

If your 5 dinner guests didn't have to be alive?

Leonardo Da Vinci - Artist, Inventor, Musician, Mathametician, Writer - most talented person ever?
    John Charles - Leeds and Wales legend, voted Juventus' best ever foreign player
    Winston Churchill - Inspirational leader
    Henry Ford - another inspiration leader
    Isaac Newton - he can bring the apple pie.
    What was the lowest you got you handicap down to whilst golfing?

I had a GUI handicap of 14, but I didn't play to it very often.
    Favourite courses in Ireland - say top 3?
    Favourite courses in UK - say top 3?

Killeen Castle was really nice when I played it a few weeks before the Solheim Cup. I also liked Luttrelstown and played there a few times. I was a member down at Moyvalley which I used to like playing so slot 3 would be between that and Portmarnock (the new one)

UK wise i never really played any except my local municipal which was a Robert Trent Jones Snr designed course. There was often groups of Americans over playing it but I arne't sure what they thought of the joyriders skidding over the greens.
    Played any outside of UK or Ireland that you'd recommend?

No, never played abroad.
    Best of luck with the job hunting.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Perfect day and perfect run up to a race how fast can you go??

How do you think you will find the jump to full distance when you make it??

How long have the new wheels been hiding in the wheel bags??

• Advertisement

Perfect day and perfect run up to a race how fast can you go??

At the moment I would hope during the season on an accurate Sprint course...
    12mins 30s swim
    1 min 30s T1
    30 mins cycle
    1 min 30s T2
    20 min Run

So 65 mins if I have a very good day and everything goes right!
    Olympic aim is 2 hrs 15 mins.
    How do you think you will find the jump to full distance when you make it??

I think it's going to be tough. A lot of work to do before I'd be happy doing anything other than just finishing.
    How long have the new wheels been hiding in the wheel bags??

Well they aren't exactly hiding - O bougth them in December and the wife has seen them but she might have been told they were just training wheels... used them last week to race on so they were put back in the bag as they were dirty. She didn't know I had a powermeter though until someone mentioned it at the last TT.

Advertisement