Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to stay in Australia?

Options
  • 18-02-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Going to OZ for a year on a WHV, just wondering where would people recomend to go first, i want somewhere thats easy to find work, i know no where is easy but easier than other places, ppl say darwin is easy, others say perth and sydney, i want to be able to survive, i dont want to lose all my money in the first month. Id like to earn money to help me live and eat. I dont have bar or waitering experience so thats out of d quistion,. On gumtree they have loads kf jobs for backpackers to do with sales and management and u get paid 600 to 1200 a week, anyone know anything about this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Going to OZ for a year on a WHV, just wondering where would people recomend to go first, i want somewhere thats easy to find work, i know no where is easy but easier than other places, ppl say darwin is easy, others say perth and sydney, i want to be able to survive, i dont want to lose all my money in the first month. Id like to earn money to help me live and eat. I dont have bar or waitering experience so thats out of d quistion,. On gumtree they have loads kf jobs for backpackers to do with sales and management and u get paid 600 to 1200 a week, anyone know anything about this??

Do the ad's state that they pay you 600 to 1200 a week or that you could earn 600 to 1200 a week. Most of those jobs are commission based and some are 100% commission. Very hard to make a half decent living from these types of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

s.c wrote: »
    Do the ad's state that they pay you 600 to 1200 a week or that you could earn 600 to 1200 a week. Most of those jobs are commission based and some are 100% commission. Very hard to make a half decent living from these types of jobs.

It says you can earn 600 to 1200, would u suggest any certain work over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

It says you can earn 600 to 1200, would u suggest any certain work over there?

What do you have experience in or done before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

Most of those jobs are scams. The best type of entry level work is different types of labouring construction, landscaping, warehousing, removals and there are plenty of agencies over there that find you work in these areas. It also works if you put an add up on gumtree advertising your services for labouring.

Most of those jobs are scams. The best type of entry level work is different types of labouring construction, landscaping, warehousing, removals and there are plenty of agencies over there that find you work in these areas. It also works if you put an add up on gumtree advertising your services for labouring.

Ive had experience in lanscaping from cutting lawns hedge cutting weeding cutting wood, alot really, havnt had experience in paving or anything, other experience is office work,childminding,i employed myself cutting fur bushes for 3 months, was a wash ip boy in a kitchen but hated it, and also the construction of the tanks that cows **** into. Thats about it, ive painted my house and rooms also, but never worked with a contractor

• Advertisement

Ive had experience in lanscaping from cutting lawns hedge cutting weeding cutting wood, alot really, havnt had experience in paving or anything, other experience is office work,childminding,i employed myself cutting fur bushes for 3 months, was a wash ip boy in a kitchen but hated it, and also the construction of the tanks that cows **** into. Thats about it, ive painted my house and rooms also, but never worked with a contractor

Put an add on Gumtree saying you've experience in all that (and maybe exaggerate a little) and you should find something. I managed to get work in all of the big cities doing this (it's 2 years since I was there so things might have changes but i wouldn't say so.). Often I just got called to peoples houses to do a day or twos work, which is grand to keep you going til you find something more long term. I was doing landcaping for most of the year I was there, (maintenance and construction) and the only experience I had was a summer spent strimming and a few weeks sewing lawns.

Put an add on Gumtree saying you've experience in all that (and maybe exaggerate a little) and you should find something. I managed to get work in all of the big cities doing this (it's 2 years since I was there so things might have changes but i wouldn't say so.). Often I just got called to peoples houses to do a day or twos work, which is grand to keep you going til you find something more long term. I was doing landcaping for most of the year I was there, (maintenance and construction) and the only experience I had was a summer spent strimming and a few weeks sewing lawns.

So landscaping is a good jon if you can get it, should i put the add up now or wait till before im going ?what city and what part of the city would you say going to first

You could put it up a week before you go maybe but I wouldn't do it any sooner than that, people who look for workers on gumtree are usually looking for them at short notice. Sydney, Melbourne and Perth were all good for work when I was there. Darwin gets rammed full of backpackers in the dry season (apr - oct) and it's hard to find a place to stay let alone a job there at in June July and August. Was never in Brisbane. Stay somewhere central enough at first I'd say so you can be flexible about where you go to work, unless you get a car. A few other ways I found work out there: looking up companies in the phone book and ringing each one till I found something; I n Sydney each suburb has a daily freesheet and on Saturday they advertise loads of jobs in the back of them,

You could put it up a week before you go maybe but I wouldn't do it any sooner than that, people who look for workers on gumtree are usually looking for them at short notice. Sydney, Melbourne and Perth were all good for work when I was there. Darwin gets rammed full of backpackers in the dry season (apr - oct) and it's hard to find a place to stay let alone a job there at in June July and August. Was never in Brisbane. Stay somewhere central enough at first I'd say so you can be flexible about where you go to work, unless you get a car. A few other ways I found work out there: looking up companies in the phone book and ringing each one till I found something; I n Sydney each suburb has a daily freesheet and on Saturday they advertise loads of jobs in the back of them,

Ah ok cool thanks ill do that, ya i knew darwin was going to be busy, id prob go there in november maybe,to see what all this hot weather is about, perth and sydney are nearly always hot arnt they?? Melbourne rains during the winter.. Ahh ya never thought of the phone book thing, thats a good idea. Do u have to do interviews for jobs over there?? I know its meant to be very expensive out there, would u survive with working and stuff. I persume ud earn a good bit pw

Perth and and more so Sydney can be cool enough in Winter, the temperature would be similar to say early autumn here. Going from Ireland you wouldn't think it was cold but after spending a summer in Australia, the winters do actually feel cold enough. I never had an interview over there, although for more formal jobs I'm sure you would have to. A few of the lads I worked for would give you a days work to see how you get on and take it from there. It's expensive out there alright but you do get paid a lot more as well, you wouldn't want to go too long without working. Most of the jobs I was doing over there were $20 an hour, which is alright but not great money. I was generally only living from week to week, but I was drinking an awful lot.

• Advertisement

Ah ya id probally be going in may or june so id prob find it warm at frirst haha, would sydney be the least sunny place in OZ or would that be somewhere else? Ah yes, so it really depends what job you get into to know what pay youd get, ah ya depending what you spend money on would see money go quick. did u stay in a hostel when u first went over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

would sydney be the least sunny place in OZ or would that be somewhere else?

Tasmania

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Ah ya id probally be going in may or june so id prob find it warm at frirst haha, would sydney be the least sunny place in OZ or would that be somewhere else? Ah yes, so it really depends what job you get into to know what pay youd get, ah ya depending what you spend money on would see money go quick. did u stay in a hostel when u first went over?

A "cold" winters day in Sydney in May/June may still be more hot than a "hot" summers day back in Ireland.

It is a different climate, a different sort of heat regarding the humidity.

East coast locations (Sydney/Brisbane/Central Coast) will always be warmer in winter due to being on the coast and will probably rarely see single figure temps. Once you go inland its a different story.

Western Sydney suburbs are about 5C hotter in summer and at a lot more cold in winter. Where I work (about 350km West of Brisbane) easily drops to -4Cto -7C during winter at night and early morning but by 9am-10am its in the low 20's and climbing.

pete4130 wrote: »
    A "cold" winters day in Sydney in May/June may still be more hot than a "hot" summers day back in Ireland.

It is a different climate, a different sort of heat regarding the humidity.

East coast locations (Sydney/Brisbane/Central Coast) will always be warmer in winter due to being on the coast and will probably rarely see single figure temps. Once you go inland its a different story.

Western Sydney suburbs are about 5C hotter in summer and at a lot more cold in winter. Where I work (about 350km West of Brisbane) easily drops to -4Cto -7C during winter at night and early morning but by 9am-10am its in the low 20's and climbing.

Ah i see, alot of different temps there haha, ya i knew the climate was different alrite, i was thinking of doing regional work first, to get it out of the way, so need to find somewhere to do that.

Advertisement