Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cushings disease...

• 18-02-2014 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Ive just been off the phone to the vet and he told me my dog probably has cushings disease, although they wont 100% commit to that without bloodwork, which is being done tomorrow.

My dog is a 12 year old collie mix and a loved pet so Im pretty upset by this news, does anybody no anything about this disease regarding treatment, prognosis?

The dog is in perfect health apart from an ongoing skin issue which led to this conclusion, vet sent off biopseys and they came back today which strongly hint at the disease.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2114&aid=416

have a read of the above vet suspected one of my dogs with cushings a few years back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Ive been given a handout by the vet on cushings, Ive also looked into it myself and read the stuff the two of ye have gave me.

I have not been quoted anything yet by the vet although from what I have read its going to be expensive. I have already paid 140 to get biopseys sent off and I have to bring the dog in tomorrow for a series of blood tests.

Aside from these tests does anyone know what the cost of treatment is going to roughly be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hi OP. Cushings or Hyperadrenocorticism is a very common but complex endocrine disorder in dogs and if caught early it can be managed but does require medication, regular blood tests and vet checks.The link above posted explains it very well.

It's either adrenal or pituitary gland related.Your vet will start with what's called an ACTH Stimulation test which involves using a drug called Synachten. 2 blood samples will be taken (pre and post injection to measure cortisol levels). In a normal dog they should be able to regulate this but in a Cushingoid dog the cortisol level will be sky high. If it cannot be determined whether it's adrenal or pituitary related then a LDDS (Low dose dexamethasone test) will be performed.

I won't bog you down with all the terminology (the links mentioned are a bit overwhelming I know).

It's not the best diagnosis but also not the worst. I had fostered an elderly Maltese a while ago who had Cushings. She was so far advanced as she had what was called a macroadenoma (large tumour ~1cm) on her pituitary and medication didn't work...but this is really worst case scenario.Most are tiny or microadenomas. Don't worry about the term "tumour" as they're almost always benign.

As mentioned if it is this your dog will be put on Trilostane (trade name Vetoryl) and it will be trial and error for the first while to get the levels correct, with subsequent follow up blood tests.

Initial outlay including consult and initial blood tests (no meds) I would estimate at around €200 with ~€30/mth for meds thereafter.

Best of luck and do come back and let us know how you get on.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Hi OP. Cushings or Hyperadrenocorticism is a very common but complex endocrine disorder in dogs and if caught early it can be managed but does require medication, regular blood tests and vet checks.The link above posted explains it very well.

It's either adrenal or pituitary gland related.Your vet will start with what's called an ACTH Stimulation test which involves using a drug called Synachten. 2 blood samples will be taken (pre and post injection to measure cortisol levels). In a normal dog they should be able to regulate this but in a Cushingoid dog the cortisol level will be sky high. If it cannot be determined whether it's adrenal or pituitary related then a LDDS (Low dose dexamethasone test) will be performed.

I won't bog you down with all the terminology (the links mentioned are a bit overwhelming I know).

It's not the best diagnosis but also not the worst. I had fostered an elderly Maltese a while ago who had Cushings. She was so far advanced as she had what was called a macroadenoma (large tumour ~1cm) on her pituitary and medication didn't work...but this is really worst case scenario.Most are tiny or microadenomas. Don't worry about the term "tumour" as they're almost always benign.

As mentioned if it is this your dog will be put on Trilostane (trade name Vetoryl) and it will be trial and error for the first while to get the levels correct, with subsequent follow up blood tests.

Initial outlay including consult and initial blood tests (no meds) I would estimate at around €200 with ~€30/mth for meds thereafter.

Best of luck and do come back and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all of that.

I'll give updates as we go along.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The dog is in perfect health apart from an ongoing skin issue which led to this conclusion,

I'm guessing your dog was on steroids for the skin problem?
    A large chunk of Cushings dogs have the condition because of having had steroidal therapy, usually reasonably long-term, at some point in their lives.
    It's one of the reasons I wince when some vets throw steroids at owners for skin problems, rather than investigating it properly... steroids certainly help reduce the symptoms and give the dog comfort, but if they have to be used long-term, you're looking at a high likelihood of consequent health problems down the line, and I'm guessing that's what happened with you?
    Any idea what stage your dog is at? Did you catch it early? I know a couple of dogs who lived for years post-diagnosis with the treatment.

DBB wrote: »
    I'm guessing your dog was on steroids for the skin problem?
    A large chunk of Cushings dogs have the condition because of having had steroidal therapy, usually reasonably long-term, at some point in their lives.
    It's one of the reasons I wince when some vets throw steroids at owners for skin problems, rather than investigating it properly... steroids certainly help reduce the symptoms and give the dog comfort, but if they have to be used long-term, you're looking at a high likelihood of consequent health problems down the line, and I'm guessing that's what happened with you?
    Any idea what stage your dog is at? Did you catch it early? I know a couple of dogs who lived for years post-diagnosis with the treatment.

I wasn't aware steroid treatment could be so risky and was never warned.

She got a steroid injection in the surgery and I got a course of antibiotics to take home. This was a few weeks back. It did nothing at all so that is when we took biopseys and sent them off.

We have been having issues with her skin for about a year and a half, at the start she was given a steroid injection and antibiotics also, this seemed to help a lot as the bald patch got substantially better and itching was reduced although not fully cured, it took two courses of antibiotics to get this result.

So, for a big chunk of time she was fine but Just before Christmas she began to get worse again and then after it got very bad. Thats when I brought her back and got the injection along with the course of tablets, about a two week course, two sets of different tablets.

I dont no what stage as I only heard of cushings today and we still have to do the blood tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I dont no what stage as I only heard of cushings today and we still have to do the blood tests.

Cushing's isn't "staged" as far as I'm aware.

This is where Boards and our advice as non veterinary professionals is limited OP.We all have different opinions and experiences on this condition that shouldn't be clouding your judgement too much now.

Can dogs get moonface?

anniehoo wrote: »
    Cushing's isn't "staged" as far as I'm aware.

No, I don't think it is, as such. But if the owner cops it early (and it can be hard to spot), the less damage is done. I was more interested to know how far the symptoms had progressed at this point. What was it that made the OP bring his dog to the vet.
    This is where Boards and our advice as non veterinary professionals is limited OP.We all have different opinions and experiences on this condition that shouldn't be clouding your judgement too much now.

This is the thing. There is a wide enough disparity in how long different dogs cope and survive with the condition, and there is an average prognosis, time-wise, given for dogs post-diagnosis. But as with everything, I know a fair few dogs who bucked the trend. So it's just not possible to give you an idea here OP, your vet will need to give you the heads-up once the condition has been diagnosed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Can dogs get moonface?

I haven't ever seen a dog with it, usually they get swollen in their abdomen and end up with a quite large pot belly

Can dogs get moonface?

Heh! I never heard it called that before, I had to look it up :pac:
    As far as I know, if it has adrenal glands, it can get it!

No, I don't think it is, as such. But if the owner cops it early (and it can be hard to spot), the less damage is done. I was more interested to know how far the symptoms had progressed at this point. What was it that made the OP bring his dog to the vet.

This is the thing. There is a wide enough disparity in how long different dogs cope and survive with the condition, and there is an average prognosis, time-wise, given for dogs post-diagnosis. But as with everything, I know a fair few dogs who bucked the trend. So it's just not possible to give you an idea here OP, your vet will need to give you the heads-up once the condition has been diagnosed.

Its worth noting the dog has only one symptom, the skin.

Ive read the links and my dog has none of the other symtomps, dog is not bloated, appetite is normal and so is urination.

The lab said it was likely cushings but wouldn't commit to the diagnosis, Vet said we will need the blood tests to be sure.

Its worth noting the dog has only one symptom, the skin.

Ive read the links and my dog has none of the other symtomps, dog is not bloated, appetite is normal and so is urination.

The lab said it was likely cushings but wouldn't commit to the diagnosis, Vet said we will need the blood tests to be sure.

until you know for sure try not to fret or worry too much says I
    I watch mine like a hawk if I hear a small cough

if your dog has no other obvious symptoms id be hopeful its not cushings

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

This has been going on so long now its becoming really frustrating.

I suppose there is no point going on until I get the blood work back but the waiting game is frustrating the life out me.

Ill definitely come back when I have answers.

Heh! I never heard it called that before, I had to look it up :pac:
    As far as I know, if it has adrenal glands, it can get it!

Just curious, see it in humans who are on high doses of steroids.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

This has been going on so long now its becoming really frustrating.

I suppose there is no point going on until I get the blood work back but the waiting game is frustrating the life out me.

Ill definitely come back when I have answers.

its terrible waiting but the fact your on here shows how concerned you are and concern to me means you are a good and loving owner

Nothing much to say today, she was in all day getting blood tests. Hopefully they will be in early next week, dogs in good form anyway and getting spoiled:D

2v3q0d2.jpg

20rtx04.jpg

Advertisement