Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Homemade Burgers - best way to wrap?

Options
  • 18-02-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing to do with food safety, just wondering the best way to wrap homemade burgers.

I've made them, froze them on a tray individually and now want to know the best way to wrap them to prevent freezer burn??

Foil? clingfilm? plastic bag??

Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I would individually wrap them in film and put them in a zip loc bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Might there be an issue with clingfilm not cooperating with a frozen burger? ie sticking properly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I like really thin burgers, to maximise the browning as there is more surface area.

A thin flat burger is hard to handle though. I often press them onto tinfoil and squish them out then grill/fry/BBQ then for a while, this lets them get a little cooked and binds them, you then flip it over and then peel off the tinfoil.

I have never done i, but reckon freezing in tinfoil will work, rather than peel it off just cook with it on and it will come off easy once its started to defrost/cook.

I think some people use baking paper or greaseproof paper, but you might get the freezer burn.

With the clingfilm I reckon you could run it under a lukewarm tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I have always used tinfoil for freezing homemade burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

When I cooked frozen burgers professionally ("Grill Wench Level 8: Knows How to mix the Garlic Mayo" was my official title) they came stacked with squares of greaseproof between them, sitting in a plastic wrapped in plastic and in a box. If I was doing them now I'd probably freeze them seperately wrapped in cling or sitting on greaseproof on a tray and then stack them in a lunchbox or put them in a big zippy bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

I wrap them in cling film...never had a problem with freezer burn or unwrapping, although I normally defrost before cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

amklo wrote: »
    I wrap them in cling film...never had a problem with freezer burn or unwrapping, although I normally defrost before cooking

You can cook from frozen no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I wrap my homemade vegetarian burgers individually in squares of greaseproof baking paper from Lidl, works great, no sticking.
    I used to use freezer bags and they sometimes stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I freeze stuff like that on a baking tray with greaseproof paper on it and when it is frozen solid they whole lot goes into a ziplock bag. I can take out one at a time when I want it and they never stick to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I usually wrap mine in zip lock bag

• Advertisement
Advertisement