Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling the family home! :-(

Options
  • 18-02-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm very sad today because the sale of our family home is being finalised.
    My mum died 13 years ago but my dad died only last year.
    We had to sell the house because we owed the HSE money for my dad's care in his final years (Fair Deal Nursing Home Scheme).
    I've known this was coming but now that it's here I feel so sad.

It's the end of our communal place, the centre of our childhood and the place where all my memories of my parents come from.

Bereavement never goes away, does it? :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

You might have sold the family home but you can never sell the memories. Keep them...they'll last a lot longer than bricks and mortar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I think your feelings are normal, even if you were not bereaved. The family home is still in you and the love you all shared.

And I think you're right - bereavement never leaves you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I'm sorry to hear that. Can you take something special from the house (eg vase, clock etc) and keep it in your own home. That way you will always have a piece of the home with you

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Thanks everyone for your kind words.
    We cleared the house a long time ago and I took some souvenirs then. The other day was just so final and that's what upset me, but I'm over the worst of it now.
    You are all right of course - its the memories that matter.
    Thanks again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Had to deal with the same myself a while back. I took solace in the fact that at least the house was going to get a new lease of life, a new family and new generation of children growing up in it. Hope you find the same peace.

• Advertisement

mike_ie wrote: »
    Had to deal with the same myself a while back. I took solace in the fact that at least the house was going to get a new lease of life, a new family and new generation of children growing up in it. Hope you find the same peace.

This is so true. We have said this from the beginning. I hope the new owners will be truly happy there. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MargieMay

bubbaloo wrote: »
    This is so true. We have said this from the beginning. I hope the new owners will be truly happy there. :-)

I was in the same situation and sent a card to new owners wishing them happiness and hoping they would b as happy as we were. Met them unexpectedly and they told me how thrilled they were with the card and to know it had been a happy family home.

MargieMay wrote: »
    I was in the same situation and sent a card to new owners wishing them happiness and hoping they would b as happy as we were. Met them unexpectedly and they told me how thrilled they were with the card and to know it had been a happy family home.

That's lovely. We did the same - my sister left a card and a bottle of wine for them and they texted the estate agent to say how much they appreciated it and how welcome they felt. :)

Advertisement