Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still use XP? (multiple choice)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This day next month, XP will be officially retired. Cue malware armageddon on 9th April!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    This day next month, XP will be officially retired. Cue malware armageddon on 9th April!
    It won't happen on the 9th because it will have got that months updates, it's the second Tuesday in May when Vista, 7 and 8 get their updates then the fun will start as hackers and not so nice people will look at the updates for those O/S's and will then figure out what the flaw that was patched and then XP will be attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I did have it working on a dual boot at one stage but I cant actually remember why I got rid of ubuntu:) There is still traces of ubuntu on start up, It gives me an option to choose which OS to boot into even though Uubuntu is well gone. I'll probably have to get rid of that option in the BIOS.

I probably should of started a new thread for this;)
    But anyone here know how to get rid of the remaining option of choosing ubuntu from my start up.

I decided to install ubuntu as the main OS tonight and I'm having a few problems, I think it might be down to having some lingering parts of the old ubunntu still in the bios.

I want to remove XP and install ubuntu that I have on a disc.

I think the old traces of ubuntu might be conflicting the new install.

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I probably should of started a new thread for this;)
    But anyone here know how to get rid of the remaining option of choosing ubuntu from my start up.

I decided to install ubuntu as the main OS tonight and I'm having a few problems, I think it might be down to having some lingering parts of the old ubunntu still in the bios.

I want to remove XP and install ubuntu that I have on a disc.

I think the old traces of ubuntu might be conflicting the new install.

Thanks

Boot off the CD and it will give you a few options. You will be prompted and asked if you wish to wipe the system fully and remove any existing operating systems. You probably missed it and kept clicking Ok.

Mr. G wrote: »
    Boot off the CD and it will give you a few options. You will be prompted and asked if you wish to wipe the system fully and remove any existing operating systems. You probably missed it and kept clicking Ok.

Cheers for the reply. I got working in the end by downloading Ubunto again and burning another disc, had the other disc a couple of years and it must of got damaged.

Two issues with it. 1st being that it beeps twice at start up and I get this error message.. error 02b2: incorrect drive A type run setup. Now I can just press F1 and continue into using ubuntu.

2nd is that every hour or so, I get a error message popping up from the OS saying that the PC only has 1GB of disk space left. This is a strange one as its only a 80GB hdd but there is 70GB available.

No big deal as I can use the PC but a head scratcher all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

When you ran the setup did you remove any partitions on the system? Doing this might solve your problem.

So literally wiping the drive and installing Ubuntu on a system with no partitions should solve your problem I think. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mhaise

I'm still using my good old trusty XP even after I took the plunge and bought a new Windows 8.1 laptop.

I'm getting used to 8.1 but why do Microsoft keep changing things.

A computer is just a tool and shouldn't involve learning new skills every time that there's an upgrade.

The reason that so many people are still on XP is that the OS that followed were total BOS.

Same with Office, all these gimmicks to get people to upgrade. I still use Office 2000 and couldn't be bothered to update to the latest and greatest according to Microsoft.

Will they ever learn? I doubt it, more and more bloatware :confused:

The best software is the one that is intuitive to use as can be seen in many areas and not where you'd have to have a computer degree to use a package.

Thankfully more developers are taking the route of ease of use, if the User Manual runs for hundreds of pages, don't touch it, life's too short :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For many users there are useful functionality changes in Office apps. I'm not a huge fan of the interface changes myself.
    There isn't a lot of difference between XP and W8 if you turn off Metro. There are a lot of improvements under the hood though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I read somewhere that Windows 8 is 21 times more secure than Windows XP. Thats probably a Microsoft figure, but XP has reached the end of the road. Its a good thing that its being retired -I will continue to use it in a VM for some old games I have, but there's no future in running XP as your main PC OS.

mhaise wrote: »

A computer is just a tool and shouldn't involve learning new skills every time that there's an upgrade.

The reason that so many people are still on XP is that the OS that followed were total BOS.

I know but Windows 7 was a clear improvement on XP for so many reasons and 8 probably should have been only been only implemented on machines able to take advantage of Touch Screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Windows 8 is 21 times more secure than Windows XP. Thats probably a Microsoft figure, but XP has reached the end of the road. Its a good thing that its being retired -I will continue to use it in a VM for some old games I have, but there's no future in running XP as your main PC OS.

This claim?
    According to Microsoft, Windows XP is currently 21 times more likely to be infected by malware than Windows 8, while Windows 7 is six times more likely to be infected than the new OS.
    The windows 7 to windows 8 comparison suggests that this is down to exposure age more so than any technical merits.
    Secure boot won't be available on older versions of UEFI hardware so
    other than the welcome addition of bitlocker on the Pro version little has changed.

Especially when I've often seen a failed Microsoft update causing an un-updated home or small business PC left unresolved for years.

If Microsoft cared about security, they'd separate the user writable partition from the system partition as per the xbox one and make use of the Hyper-V / processor virtualisation to keep all the files in system secure and validated.

Programs and frameworks like Office and .Net should be one checksummed CAB file and launcher, not spewed all over the machine with 20GB of side by side updates.

And given a valid key at boot time you could just download the latest updated system partition image if you wanted a clean re-install.
    (Gamers could have an ultrastreamlined SKU to compete with Valve, the rest of us could choose an SKU optimised for reliability, mirroring and security)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭liamtech

Ive used XP since i finally abandoned WIN2000 in 2006 - i tend not to upgrade because of a fear that newer versions of Windows tend to be buggy and 'improvements' are usually hindrances -

XP was a smooth OS i have to say - after 2000 i had no problem getting used to it - naturally if i HAVE to chuck it and upgrade it wil be to Windows 7 that i go - Vista is for me a no-go zone - and as for 8? Not a chance. I have already checked and there are 7 licenses available from several retailers and ebay of course - thats where i will go.

If Microsoft dont release an XP style version of windows 8 or 9(whenever it comes out), and insist on sticking to this tabletesque style OS that they are now flogging? Then Windows 7 will be my last Microsoft OS - I have used Mandriva and Ubuntu in the past and i love android so these will be my new port of call

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I found my old XP Pro disc and installed it yesterday on a partition just to have the last month with my fav O/S, I'll delete it in April but using it Today it is fast after about 200 updates but TBH it is dated now in comparison to 7 and trying to find drivers is a nightmare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

200motels wrote: »
    I found my old XP Pro disc and installed it yesterday on a partition just to have the last month with my fav O/S, I'll delete it in April but using it Today it is fast after about 200 updates but TBH it is dated now in comparison to 7 and trying to find drivers is a nightmare.

The drivers would be the big issue.
    The only reason to have XP now is if you have ancient hardware or software that cannot be replaced, or you're running a static system with minimum functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ressem wrote: »
    ....If Microsoft cared about security, they'd separate the user writable partition from the system partition as per the xbox one and make use of the Hyper-V / processor virtualisation to keep all the files in system secure and validated....

Good ideas.

But they've had the example of the Unix security model staring them in the face for decades and not really embraced that either. Isn't Windows 8 is still underneath a very old OS design with the Win32 stack etc.

I don't really see any desire from MS to really tackle security from the roots up.

So are there many people on here that still use XP now that support has officially ended.

I am still running it on my desktop and have no intention of retiring it anytime soon.

So are there many people on here that still use XP now that support has officially ended.

I am still running it on my desktop and have no intention of retiring it anytime soon.

I have one still in use and it should be grand for another year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cant touchthis

Here's how to extend the life of Windows XP indefinitely

zdnet.com/heres-how-to-extend-the-life-of-windows-xp-indefinitely-7000029035/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I couldn't be having it with all them newfangled crap. I still use my C64.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Still running XP on a VM in an old Dell Dimension desktop. I run Linux on all my machines, but sometimes need to quickly install and run utilities - yes most have a Linux equivalent, but it can take most of the day to get them installed, configured and running. Sometimes XP is just easier, where time is an issue.

TBH I haven't investigated how easy it is for a virus in a VM to affect the host machine. I guess other devices on the network may be more vulnerable, but then they are all Linux or Android

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Anyone got any ideas on what to use an old Windows XP desktop for? The question hasn't been brought about by Windows XP losing support, it's been gathering dust for a few years and it's time to decide whether to use it or scrap it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas on what to use an old Windows XP desktop for?

Sell it on adverts/ebay. Judging by the number of people still using XP, you may actually get some money for it.

You could make a web/mail/file server out of it, but it is not worth it, because a normal old desktop eats much more electricity than a comparably faster modern low power server.

Advertisement