Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock and Vehicle Managment

Options
  • 18-02-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hey Lads,

I was just wondering how other vols manage their stock levels and their equipment. Is one person designated to look after 2- 3 vehicles or is it better to have one person per vehicle.

With regards kit bags and and other common equipment how is this managed?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

can only speak on behalf of my own unit (omac) i look after two vehicles in regards to maintenance and stock, it gets a weekly check every week and a pre duty check by the crew using either vehicle when ever it's out on the road. we have a checklist that needs to be filled out every time it's in use so I'll have a look at that to see what needs to be restocked. we don't hold massive supplies of equipment due to how little gets used its more a case of: xyz gets used on saturday, order goes into (insert shop here) monday morning and it arrives later that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

In the CG we generally have one person for vehicles but each one has a log that needs to be filled every time it's used and must be checked, refueled and washed afterwards. They get inspected each week by the designated person and any issues will be highlighted to the authorized drivers.

Other equipment is managed by different people. Normally this is the person most likely to use the gear or the best qualified. We keep full documentation so there's an audit trail present for everything. It does mean a bit of paper work but you can say precisely when equipment has been used and how.

The equipment might be common use for the unit but everyone must know that if there's a problem with it or they've used up supplies from the kit then it must be restocked/reported immediately and the changes are then recorded.

In practice the designated people really only need to check the vehicles and gear once a week as everyone can look after all the kit. There's never been an unreported problem with the gear or missing gear during these checks as everyone knows how important it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

For our unit in OMAC . we use a crew pre duty check . We also report to the equipment officer anything broken immiediatly so it can be repaired or replaced the next working day ,

Any stock used is replaced following the shift due to the post duty check and cleaning ,

By the crew not having responsibility for the stock and equipment can leed to the same person rechecking and restocking and the crews just leaving the vechiel in bits or without stock .

Advertisement