Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SuperValu range- made where???

• 18-02-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have noticed that the SuperValu own brand goods which are replacing the outgoing own brand SuperQuinn goods have dropped the "Love Irish Food" symbol and don't actually say where there have been produced. E.g. peas, beans, etc.

Should all goods should not clearly state where they were produced? But yet the SuperValu range does not on a lot of it’s products. E.g. cheese, beans, peas, etc. The only print is “Produced for Musgraves…..”.

The SuperQuinn own brand cans of beans and peas clearly had the “Love Irish” symbol on them to indicate that they were Irish grown and produced. The equivalent SuperValu beans and peas have no such Irish labelling and worse, they don’t even state where they are produced at all.

So I am wondering where are these products actually grown/produced? It is bad marketing as it puts me and no doubt others off buying these products when the emphasis is to support Irish jobs and producers.

I have e-mailed SuperValu SuperValu@musgravegroup.com a number of times asking them this but have never received a reply. Does anyone know where they are made?

"Buy Irish, buy locally"

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Maybe give them a quick ring?

1850 211 840

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

The fresh fruit and veg all has countries of origin on them. Don't have any canned foods in to check them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Love Irish food didn't mean they were grown and canned in Ireland, only canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SixPot

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Love Irish food didn't mean they were grown and canned in Ireland, only canned.

Still good as it has a direct impact on jobs in Ireland and the rate of tax we all pay. And why if the SuperQuinn brand peas and beans, etc. were grown and/or canned in Ireland would they switch to UK produce when the use "Irish meat" as one of their main marketing slogans. Give on one hand and take away with the other..... I will buy the products that I can say are Irish or at least can trace to an origin. "Made for Musgraves,...," could mean anywhere from the Ukraine to Syria!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 brodgers

Love Irish Food is a branding campaign to designate a product meets criteria set out by the people who set it up. It isn't a definitive list of Irish produced goods, brands chose to join or not to join. If they haven't joined it doesn't mean the product isn't produced in Ireland/uses Irish raw materials. I don't know where SuperValu source their private label products but I do know that SuperValu (Musgrave) is now the number 2 retailer in this market and as and Irish owned business that is a good thing and deserving of support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Don't forget that dairy products, meat products, and eggs will have mandatory Processing Plant IDs displayed on packaging for traceability. Producer plants in Ireland begin with "IE", NI plants have "UK" as do other UK plants and I've seen "UK NI" used.
    It can be in small print but it's there if you're willing to take the time to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Don't forget that dairy products, meat products, and eggs will have mandatory Processing Plant IDs displayed on packaging for traceability. Producer plants in Ireland begin with "IE", NI plants have "UK" as do other UK plants and I've seen "UK NI" used.
    It can be in small print but it's there if you're willing to take the time to look.
    Pretty sure on that count SV is all Irish sourced, own name stuff at least. They might stock some branded stuff from the UK particularly in border areas.

Advertisement