Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American express platinum

Options
  • 18-02-2014 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭

Anyone have one of these, do they find it useful? Even with the large annual fee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're looking at it for the travel insurance, consider the Bank of Ireland equivalent which is a Mastercard and so will be accepted in a lot more places than Amex.....

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/credit-cards/platinum-advantage-card/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well its the travel insurance and the priority pass to be honest. I travel a lot for work and as often as i can otherwise, and the lounge access is a god send. I use other airlines so dont get "status" with any. Unlimited lounge access with pp directly is 400€ and thats only for the holder then 24€ for other person.

With amex its free for holder and one other person all the time. And gf can get a supplementary card free with the same benefit. So up to 4 people for free...on the rare time we would travel with others :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I had one for years and if you travel a lot, especially in USA, the free airport lounge access is great. It was especially nice when I traveled with my wife and kids. Other than that I did not avail of any of the other features.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well thats basically me too..not travelling so much to USA these days, mainly europe, but would be very handy...will have to really think about it...not bloody cheap..

Thanks for fb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

well thats basically me too..not travelling so much to USA these days, mainly europe, but would be very handy...will have to really think about it...not bloody cheap..

Thanks for fb

BTW: I no longer travel like I used to so they allowed me to downgrade to 'green' and keep the same cc number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thanks for fb

Maybe you have better luck than me, but I find it hard to find places that accept American Express around Europe. Many hotels do, but I can't take it for granted, and need to check in advance. Pretty much everywhere accepts my other cards.

In terms of their benefits, when I'm traveling on business I don't often have time to use a lounge, as I tend to avoid long layovers. There are other means to purchase lounge access on the few occasions a year that I might need it, though obviously it depends on what kind of travel you're doing. If you're mostly traveling in Europe, how often would you use a lounge?

Global multi-trip travel insurance is pretty cheap these days if you're single.

In my case the annual fee wouldn't be worth it, but you know best how much use you'd make of the benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I have the AMEX gold with 3 years. I have the AF/KLM version as I am platinum status with them. If I was paying for my own flights I would certainly have the platinum version but I'm not paying for them now. I spent just over €25k on it last year so it was well worth it in terms of miles/travel insurance (especially for skiing). Not every place takes it but in general you will be fine.

Advertisement