Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer motorcycle trip to Italy and back

• 18-02-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Currently planning my summer bike trip for the last two weeks in June.

Ill be taking the euro tunnel to Calais.

Once I get to Italy it will consist of starting at Genoa and moving down the West coast through Florence, Rome, Naples and possibly into Sicily and then back up the East coast into Venice, Verona, Milan on the way out of Italy.

Has anyone tripped to Italy from Ireland or the UK. What's the best route to follow to get to Genoa?

Im still debating whether i should camp again this trip or to stay in hostels.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Fair play to you sounds like an amazing trip. Are you on your own or with mates? Would you not get the boat to france instead of crossing the UK? Id say stay in hostels, after a long day riding you dont want to have to pitch tents in the pissing rain - but thats just me.

I'd say try to take in as many of these roas as possible: http://www.ultimatedrives.net/top-10-roads/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Sounds nice, I did a 4 day car trip from milan to verona to venice and back again through lake garda last summer. It was fantastic, the only thing id say is we wish we'd had more time to hang around lake garda and the alps! Id consider cutting out a few destinations simply to get more time to look about. The roadside view isnt great for a lot of places especially the main roads, verona especially has a horrible approach by road.

Be wary of the italian drivers, there not homicidal manics as some make out, but they dont really believe in giving people space ! Bring plenty of euros for the tolls.

Defintely try to get into the alps, its an amazing ride, just make sure your gps doesnt lead you down a vinyard road like happened to us !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Zascar wrote: »
    Fair play to you sounds like an amazing trip. Are you on your own or with mates? Would you not get the boat to france instead of crossing the UK? Id say stay in hostels, after a long day riding you dont want to have to pitch tents in the pissing rain - but thats just me.

I'd say try to take in as many of these roas as possible: http://www.ultimatedrives.net/top-10-roads/index.php

He's going from London so no need for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

i only tipped into italy accross the Alps and went round lake como and did the stelvio pass, amazing but the italian drivers scared the living **** out of me, good luck !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Zascar wrote: »

On my own.
    I did a 3 week trip in France 2 years ago and camped. It was Ok but it does add significantly to the luggage you need to carry.

I suppose I'll need to cost the hostels for the whole two weeks and see where it leaves me.

I'll checkout that link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've no expereince with a continental trip, but if I were doing one I reckon I'd go from Rosslare to France. Avoid england (not sure about you, but I'd just see it as as a chore to get through) and arrive in france fresh after sleeping in your cabin.
    Quick price check and it's €173 for 2nd june 1 way, includes bike and a cabin and you arrive in France at 11am.

If I was based in Ireland I'd definitely be taking the ferry but I'm in London so the tunnel is the easiest.

If I was based in Ireland I'd definitely be taking the ferry but I'm in London so the tunnel is the easiest.

Drive up to holyhead, ferry to dublin, drive to rosslare, ferry to france. Sorted :pac:

should be some trip, I spent almost a month in italy travelling around, loads of bikes around tuscany and shít loads of small bendy roads. Definitely the way to get around. Siena is definitely worth a visit too. The only road I can recommend taking is from Sorrento to Amalfi, but that's probably down on your list already.
    Milan is a bit of a hole, I wouldn't bother my arse with it. Turin is a really nice city centre, could be worth a visit instead. Good luck driving around rome, looked mental!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What bike are you taking and how much luggage will you have? Camping gear must be hugely bulky. I'd rather pay the extra and do it peroperly peronsally. Alos look into Air BnB https://www.airbnb.ie - if you plan ahead you can get really cheap rates on places to stay...

Wouldn't fancy camping myself, nothing worse than pitching a tent (ohh-err) in the rain. Actually, there is, packing up a tent and trying to get your bike gear on in the rain! A tent in the hot sun is almost as bad.
    But if BrokenArrows did it before and doesn't mind, then grand.

I know a guy who tours europe a lot and he brings a compact tent and sleeps the odd night outside if he finds a nice spot and the weather is good. But he wouldn't camp in a campsite, this guy just sticks it up in any green patch

• Advertisement

Doing it on a 2013 Yamaha Diversion F.

Last time I camped I had a tank bag, two saddle bags and a bag on the pillion seat. I over packed, it was my first tour.

If I don't camp I could get away with just the tank bag and the bag on the pillion.

The concern I would have with staying in hostels is secure parking. When camping the bike is beside the tent. I'd probably gave to pack a chain.

Advertisement