Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC history special topic & Geography HELP

Options
  • 18-02-2014 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey everyone, I have missed a lot of time in school due to medical stuff, and while I have nearly caught up on all of my studying, I remembered I have a history Special Topic to do! My history teacher is no help AT ALL, I mean seriously, he only bothers with 4 or 5 people and doesn't really care about the rest including me since I have missed so much time. Can someone spring me a few ideas because I am completely stumped and its stressing me out because I would love to get an A1 in history. Anything involving a countries military that is not really talked about would do me fine, I love battles, military technology and war but I would rather keep it around the Europe region as I have had trouble locating sources for American and Australian topics.

Also, Geography isn't as big a concern but I wonder what is the best way to study the essays and what should I focus on? Thanks for reading! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How about doing an Irish battle?
    The examiners like locally based projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JimmyT33

spurious wrote: »
    How about doing an Irish battle?
    The examiners like locally based projects.
    My History teacher said to stay away from Irish history as everyone will be scrambling to pick something from Irish history, not sure whether to take his word or not so thats why I have steered away from Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your teacher obviously hasn't read the Chief Examiners' reports if he says steer clear of Ireland. Only about 20% of candidates do their essay on Ireland.

The done to death topics are:
    anything to do with the Nazis
    anything to do with Hitler/Mussolini/Stalin etc.
    anything to do with civil rights in America
    anything to do with Northern Ireland
    anything to do with the Kennedys/Marilyn Monroe etc.
    Michael Collins/Pearse/Markiewicz

Of course some people still do good essays on the old reliables, but examiners like something a bit different.

How about military strategies/weaponry/leadership in an Irish battle? Boyne/Kinsale/Vinegar Hill etc.

Just make sure not to use Wikipedia - they REALLY don't like that as a source, for obvious reasons.

As I said, he is no help at all so no surprise if he didn't read it!

Hmm well I will look into some of those ideas :) THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

spurious wrote: »
    Your teacher obviously hasn't read the Chief Examiners' reports if he says steer clear of Ireland. Only about 20% of candidates do their essay on Ireland.

The done to death topics are:
    anything to do with the Nazis
    anything to do with Hitler/Mussolini/Stalin etc.
    anything to do with civil rights in America
    anything to do with Northern Ireland
    anything to do with the Kennedys/Marilyn Monroe etc.
    Michael Collins/Pearse/Markiewicz

Of course some people still do good essays on the old reliables, but examiners like something a bit different.

How about military strategies/weaponry/leadership in an Irish battle? Boyne/Kinsale/Vinegar Hill etc.
    While the first lot are done to death, it seems that Irish civil war stuff is too, although I haven't heard of anyone doing things like Boyne and such.

Personally I'd say do something on a conflict in Africa and Asia, just make sure you check out the availability sources first before setting your project in stone.

• Advertisement

I wanted to do some stuff on Irish soldiers serving in the peacekeeping in Africa but its rather tough to get sources on

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

JimmyT33 wrote: »
    I wanted to do some stuff on Irish soldiers serving in the peacekeeping in Africa but its rather tough to get sources on

Irish involvement in the Congo could be really interesting! More enforcing peace than keeping it mind you.

Hey so I have settled on doing something about Japan in WW2, mostly the airforce/kamikaze tactic, any idea how I can structure it?

Advertisement